Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 186

Thread: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘promiscu

  1. #51
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    `

    There are more than a few issues here; 1) The persistent rape culture amongst some men and the 2) proliferation of privileged and coddled life of star athletes in college who assume rape is a benefit. However, what I find offensive is the assumption that supposed promiscuity and drinking makes rape justifiable.
    `
    I think the judge should be able to reject the filing by this lawyer, and tell him he will accept the filing when all interviews about the gal being promiscuous are removed. Such "facts" should be considered automatically irrelevant.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,739

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Exactly. I think the defense is laughable and the idea behind it dispicable...but ultimately that is the justice system we have created in this country and how defense lawyers make their money and how people who pretty much are likely guilty but are seeking to beat the system are going to act. It's similar to the notion of having to deal with the Westboro jackasses as it relates to the first amendment. Is it annoying? Yes. Are they themselves worthy of condemnation? Yes. Is it right to attack SOCIETY as a whole because of it? No.



    You did the moment you blamed this on the "rape culture" of "some men"...YOU interjected the notion of an "us vs them" gender war thing. There is no more reason to believe that this defense is being put forth because "some men" are into "rape culture" than it is because there are so few arguments available to them for his defense that they had to grasp one as poor as this.



    Yes, you're allowed to post your opinion. I'm allowed to express why I disagree with your opinion. That's how this works.
    i am still waiting for her to prove this rape culture thing. sounds like another feminist myth.

    wasn't there this thing that the leader of the feminist movement was saying that even sleeping with your wife was rape or something. it was a long time ago, but something i remotely remember.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,739

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I think the judge should be able to reject the filing by this lawyer, and tell him he will accept the filing when all interviews about the gal being promiscuous are removed. Such "facts" should be considered automatically irrelevant.
    he can't reject the filling but he can reject the motion of dismissal. which is more than likely what he will do.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    he can't reject the filling but he can reject the motion of dismissal. which is more than likely what he will do.
    That's why I said "I think the judge should be able to ..."

    Hopefully the motion's rejection/acceptance will be based on whatever else is in the filing, completely ignoring the parts about her supposed promiscuity.

    I just think the judge should be able to reject things like this and require a refiling so that they don't have to wade through stupidity.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Exactly. I think the defense is laughable and the idea behind it dispicable...but ultimately that is the justice system we have created in this country and how defense lawyers make their money and how people who pretty much are likely guilty but are seeking to beat the system are going to act. It's similar to the notion of having to deal with the Westboro jackasses as it relates to the first amendment. Is it annoying? Yes. Are they themselves worthy of condemnation? Yes. Is it right to attack SOCIETY as a whole because of it? No.
    2) You did the moment you blamed this on the "rape culture" of "some men"...YOU interjected the notion of an "us vs them" gender war thing. There is no more reason to believe that this defense is being put forth because "some men" are into "rape culture" than it is because there are so few arguments available to them for his defense that they had to grasp one as poor as this.
    3) Yes, you're allowed to post your opinion. I'm allowed to express why I disagree with your opinion. That's how this works.
    `
    1) Agreed.

    2) That would be your interpretation of my opinion, which again as I have stated, I do not agree with. Colloquially speaking, the phrase rape culture already implies "male", so if anything, me stating "male rape culture" is redundant. Sorry about that.

    3) Agreed.

  6. #56
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    i am still waiting for her to prove this rape culture thing. sounds like another feminist myth.

    wasn't there this thing that the leader of the feminist movement was saying that even sleeping with your wife was rape or something. it was a long time ago, but something i remotely remember.
    Not sure if you're talking about her, but that feminist freak Andrea Dworkin famously said/wrote "intercourse is a means of physiologically making a woman inferior".

  7. #57
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    `

    There are more than a few issues here; 1) The persistent rape culture amongst some men and the 2) proliferation of privileged and coddled life of star athletes in college who assume rape is a benefit. However, what I find offensive is the assumption that supposed promiscuity and drinking makes rape justifiable.
    `
    A couple of points:

    1) Why do you focus on the issue of a supposed "rape culture?" It seems like alcohol/drug culture would fit just as well. Wouldn't it better to advise young people to not drink so much that they lose control of themselves (passing out or losing the ability to inhibit primitive urges). It seems like every time one of these stories pops up alcohol/drug use is a common theme. You can rail all you want about how men should control themselves, but if you have a culture that promotes situations where both people greatly diminish their ability to inhibit the undesired behavior you are setting yourself up for failure.

    2) I'm pretty sure the only thing that is proliferating is the media reports of such behaviors. These behaviors have been going on for a long time for a variety of reasons.

    3) I don't think the defense attorney is actually making the assumption that this alleged rape was justified. I think they are presenting the only credible reasoning for the behavior: the logic of a horny, drunk adolescent.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    2) That would be your interpretation of my opinion, which again as I have stated, I do not agree with. Colloquially speaking, the phrase rape culture already implies "male", so if anything, me stating "male rape culture" is redundant. Sorry about that.
    In which case, you were not just pushing the gender war notion in your OP, but you were redundantly pushing it

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,739

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not sure if you're talking about her, but that feminist freak Andrea Dworkin famously said/wrote "intercourse is a means of physiologically making a woman inferior".
    Either way they are both ignorant comments to make. they are of the same genre of stupidity thinking.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,739

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    1) Agreed.

    2) That would be your interpretation of my opinion, which again as I have stated, I do not agree with. Colloquially speaking, the phrase rape culture already implies "male", so if anything, me stating "male rape culture" is redundant. Sorry about that.

    3) Agreed.
    prove there is a rape culture amongst men first off. feminist myths and opinions are not facts.
    quite frankly i find this offensive.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •