Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 186

Thread: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘promiscu

  1. #11
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Good luck with that defense. What guys don't seem to understand (some of them) is that you can't rape unconscious whores. That, of course, is taking them at their word that she is.
    Actually, that defense could fly. The jury could well nullify a case like this if they believe the evidence yet say they don't care and walk the guy. Still find nullification to be a good thing?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #12
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'll speak to your question, though not answering for Pantheoen's thought process.

    I think too many young men think it's just fine to have sex with a drunk. I can almost hear the process:

    "She asked for it."
    "What did she think was going to happen?"
    "She's the football team's blow-up doll."

    Now obviously it's not always wrong to have sex with a drunk. But there's a line; and one's conduct defines where the line is. Taking videos and stills; passing them from phone to phone; multiple partners; and, the most important of all, was she freakin' conscious? All tell a story.

    In this case, we're only hearing what the newspaper chose to print and how they chose to slant the story. Always dangerous. Many of us jump to the conclusion the media expects us to jump to. Some of us stand back and say, "Let's wait for more information." (See the thread on the little girl supposedly thrown out of a KFC for her disturbing facial appearance.) In defense of those who jump, what fun would the site be if we all said, "Hey! We don't have enough information. You're just hearing one side of the story."

    And, too, let's face it. "No" does not always mean "no," ladies. Guys have it tough, in my opinion. We really hold their feet to the fire now days. Guys have got to realize they're playing with fire in these instances. It's no laughing matter. It's "the rest of your life."
    Many men have always thought it was okay to have sex with someone who is passed out or can't stop the act. That isn't new.

    What is new is it being described as a "persistent rape culture among men". There is no such thing.

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Actually, that defense could fly. The jury could well nullify a case like this if they believe the evidence yet say they don't care and walk the guy. Still find nullification to be a good thing?
    Jury nullification is our right, X Factor. It's the very last line of defense against tyranny, in my opinion. Just as our "fair trial" rules let some guilty go free, so does jury nullification. It's the price we pay for freedom.

  4. #14
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Accusing anyone who so much as disagrees with your POV of being a rapist seem to be all the rage these days. I've already heard it twice this morning.
    You rapist you!

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Guilty until proven innocent. Yep, that's about your speed.
    `
    Read this and Note Well: However, what I find offensive is the assumption that supposed promiscuity and drinking makes rape justifiable. - That is the defense his lawyers are using. I'll wait for a trial but this BS defense has been shot down so many times it's pathetic.

  6. #16
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    `

    There are more than a few issues here; 1) The persistent rape culture amongst some men and the 2) proliferation of privileged and coddled life of star athletes in college who assume rape is a benefit. However, what I find offensive is the assumption that supposed promiscuity and drinking makes rape justifiable.
    `
    University of Tennessee fan here.

    this is a Vanderbilt football player.

    poor title!!
    Go Vols

  7. #17
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Many men have always thought it was okay to have sex with someone who is passed out or can't stop the act. That isn't new.

    What is new is it being described as a "persistent rape culture among men". There is no such thing.
    To the bolded: Really? Seriously? This isn't something that I was aware of.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #18
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'll speak to your question, though not answering for Pantheoen's thought process.

    I think too many young men think it's just fine to have sex with a drunk. I can almost hear the process:

    "She asked for it."
    "What did she think was going to happen?"
    "She's the football team's blow-up doll."

    Now obviously it's not always wrong to have sex with a drunk. But there's a line; and one's conduct defines where the line is. Taking videos and stills; passing them from phone to phone; multiple partners; and, the most important of all, was she freakin' conscious? All tell a story.

    In this case, we're only hearing what the newspaper chose to print and how they chose to slant the story. Always dangerous. Many of us jump to the conclusion the media expects us to jump to. Some of us stand back and say, "Let's wait for more information." (See the thread on the little girl supposedly thrown out of a KFC for her disturbing facial appearance.) In defense of those who jump, what fun would the site be if we all said, "Hey! We don't have enough information. You're just hearing one side of the story."

    And, too, let's face it. "No" does not always mean "no," ladies. Guys have it tough, in my opinion. We really hold their feet to the fire now days. Guys have got to realize they're playing with fire in these instances. It's no laughing matter. It's "the rest of your life."
    Interesting Mags, that you say this is "no laughing matter" yet think it's "fun" to presume guilt in a rape case. It's pretty obvious that when it's the guy, anything goes. When it's the girl, you're part of the rape culture if you even suggest looking at the woman's actions or suggesting she be responsible for any of her behavior. It's pretty frustrating.

    Yes, it's totally fine to blame us for "playing with fire" yet suggest that a woman is "playing with fire" by putting herself in a vulnerable spot and watch all hell break loose.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #19
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Actually, that defense could fly. The jury could well nullify a case like this if they believe the evidence yet say they don't care and walk the guy. Still find nullification to be a good thing?
    Nonsense. You cannot possibly assert that an unconscious person gave consent to have sex with multiple persons, no matter what their "lifestyle" was. Getting an entire jury to swallow that BS is hopefully impossible.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #20
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: TN football player wants rape case dismissed because unconscious victim was ‘prom

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    To the bolded: Really? Seriously? This isn't something that I was aware of.
    That was my experience in college in the early 1980s. There were 2 or 3 situations where a student claimed she was raped, she was apparently passed out and couldn't say "no" but the horny male had his way with her anyway.

    I assume through the years some college men continued the same trend. I also knew of a situation when I was a young working woman where I actually witnessed it, not the actual act but 2 of my male co-workers taking a very drunk young lady to a hotel room during our company Christmas party, and she woke up naked and her private parts were sore, so one can only assume what happened.

    So hence my "many", meaning in terms of numbers.

    That, however, does not indicate a "persistent rape culture among men". That to me was a highly offensive & irresponsible comment (even though I'm a woman, not a man).

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •