Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 273

Thread: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

  1. #141
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    The relationships between many of the militant groups from Libya into Syria, Iraq, etc., are not completely known or understood. Groups have morphed, worked together, divorced themselves from one another (as with the case between AQ and IS most recently) which had caused all the hand wringing over supplying arms into Syria all along.
    Oh for crying out loud. The Baathists have been baathists the whole time (and were before the US invaded Iraq), and AQI/ISIL haven't changed their leadership during the Syrian civil war. Neither of these men were at any time the leader of any organization that was ISIL. You are getting desperate, and in your desperation you are clinging to less and less plausible arguments. It's like claiming that the leadership of public sector unions float back and forth between that and leadership positions in the Libertarian Party, or that Catholic Bishops float back and forth between doing that and leading NARAL.

    Things aren't nearly as neat as you describe them. One thing is certain, as a matter of policy, the US has supported militant Islamic groups in this region for decades, and except to the most un-observant, it has achieved its goal of destabilisation. I'll accept Paul's assessment as it fits the SOP.
    Pauls' assessment does not fit SOP for US policy in the region, nor does it fit what we know of ISIL. You are clinging to the most vague of strawmen because you lack any evidence to support a claim that all the available data is militantly against.


    Just because Paul chose to be an idiot doesn't mean that you have to become an idiot in order to defend him.
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-17-14 at 07:33 PM.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Oh for crying out loud. The Baathists have been baathists the whole time (and were before the US invaded Iraq), and AQI/ISIL haven't changed their leadership during the Syrian civil war. Neither of these men were at any time the leader of any organization that was ISIL. You are getting desperate, and in your desperation you are clinging to less and less plausible arguments. It's like claiming that the leadership of public sector unions float back and forth between that and leadership positions in the Libertarian Party, or that Catholic Bishops float back and forth between doing that and leading NARAL.



    Pauls' assessment does not fit SOP for US policy in the region, nor does it fit what we know of ISIL. You are clinging to the most vague of strawmen because you lack any evidence to support a claim that all the available data is militantly against.


    Just because Paul chose to be an idiot doesn't mean that you have to become an idiot in order to defend him.
    Dear lord, I'm never surprised the extent that apologists for US policy go to justify wrong doing. Decades of failed policy in the ME as well as support for militant Islamists. A region in total flames and you think I'm the desperate one. Yeah cp, just another patronising conservative hawk.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #143
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Dear lord, I'm never surprised the extent that apologists for US policy go to justify wrong doing. Decades of failed policy in the ME as well as support for militant Islamists. A region in total flames and you think I'm the desperate one. Yeah cp, just another patronising conservative hawk.
    Not desperate, just delusional.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #144
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    To my knowledge Paul isn't on the Intelligence Subcommittee, meaning that he has your standard TS/SCI clearance, the same as me. Except that I study this sort of thing for a living, and he riles up political supporters for a living.
    you are paid to study this sort of thing? That makes you a sock puppet in my mind.

  5. #145
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you are paid to study this sort of thing? That makes you a sock puppet in my mind.
    Or, perhaps, a professional.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #146
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Or, perhaps, a professional.
    yes, a professional. He is paid to push his agenda.

  7. #147
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    yes, a professional. He is paid to push his agenda.
    Hardly. He's paid to study and understand. The Intelligence Community calls them analysts.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #148
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Hardly. He's paid to study and understand. The Intelligence Community calls them analysts.
    Rand Paul is paid to study and understand, we have no idea who the anonymous poster is working for

  9. #149
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,787
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Rand Paul is paid to study and understand.
    Not the same thing. He's running for POTUS. Analysts have no ulterior motive.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #150
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Not the same thing. He's running for POTUS. Analysts have no ulterior motive.
    Yes, not the same thing. On one hand we have a guy vetted, known, and voted in to serve us.

    on the other, we have some anonymous guy that always defend the US military

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •