Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 273

Thread: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

  1. #91
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Weren't any good guys in the Iran-Iraq War, but we were tied up in that too.

    Generally the goal in the Middle East is to (1) make sure there are no conflicts that could spark a regional war and (2) in the the interests of #1 ensure no single religious or ethnic group gets the military or economic heft to rule the rest. In CIA logic, sometimes to prevent regional conflicts you have to stimulate local conflicts.

    Historically, the reward for fulfilling these goals is a consistent and reliable source of the energy we need to be a large, industrialized nation.

    Frankly, in international relations, "taking a side" is the same thing as "making a side." A faction that becomes reliant on the U.S. and can count on their diplomatic and military support, even if they started out as anti-Western, can quickly become amenable when the benefits of cooperation are made clear.
    I would disagree with goal number 1, China and Russia both warned three years ago that US interference in president Assad's war on terror would cause the conflict to spill out into the whole region. This is why after being duped in Libya, they both blocked all attempts by the US to secure a resolution for the use of force in Syria. US foreign policy in the ME has been to support militant Islam and instability for decades now.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #92
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No. "Rebels in Syria" =/= "ISIS" any more than "people in America" = "Democrats". It is very possible ISIS has stolen, captured, or overrun American aid to other rebel groups just as it has stolen, captured, and overrun American equipment given to the Iraqi Forces. To take this and claim that the US is arming ISIS in such a manner as to suggest that it is a matter of policy, however, is either uninformed or dishonest. I don't know which Paul is, sadly, I would suspect the latter in this case, as the accurate picture is available to him, but does not allow him to grandstand.
    Paul's not grandstanding. It's a documented fact that as a matter of policy, US presidents have armed, financed and otherwise supported militant Islamist groups, since at least Carter.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #93
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Mmmm, yes. Because we've never armed rebels, over overstepped Congress to sell arms to buddies who would surely always be our friends so that we could fund rebels elsewhere. And those never came back to bite us in the ass or end up with aid or arms falling into the wrong hands. Nope. Never.
    I'm wondering where he made those claims. Hell, in that post he said that our military aid to rebels likely ended up in the wrong hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  4. #94
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Paul's not grandstanding. It's a documented fact that as a matter of policy, US presidents have armed, financed and otherwise supported militant Islamist groups, since at least Carter.


    Militant Islamist Groups also =/= ISIS. Paul is indeed grandstanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib
    I'm wondering where he made those claims. Hell, in that post he said that our military aid to rebels likely ended up in the wrong hands.
    Well it's not exactly as if he's bringing logic to bear.

  5. #95
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Mmmm, yes. Because we've never armed rebels, over overstepped Congress to sell arms to buddies who would surely always be our friends so that we could fund rebels elsewhere. And those never came back to bite us in the ass or end up with aid or arms falling into the wrong hands. Nope. Never.
    Oh look!

    A Strawman!


  6. #96
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post


    Militant Islamist Groups also =/= ISIS. Paul is indeed grandstanding.



    Well it's not exactly as if he's bringing logic to bear.
    The US has supported militant Islamic groups for decades, what's the point.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #97
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    The US has supported militant Islamic groups for decades, what's the point.
    The point is that Paul's claim was that we have supported ISIS, which is false, and which is easily demonstrably false, meaning that Paul either has no idea what he is talking about, or is lying.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Oh look!

    A Strawman!

    No it's not. You claim that we're not doing this and that Paul is lying, but offer no proof. Your statements had come off as rather absolute. I was merely pointing out that arming rebels is what we do, we'll do it secretly and against the directives of Congress if we must. We've trained and armed organizations which have turned around and fought us. It seems quite possible that we could have been buddy, buddy with ISIS at their start. But you have the knowledge that says otherwise, so why don't you detail how you came about this knowledge.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    As an earlier poster stated there is no reliable evidence whatsoever that the US has been arming or supporting ISIS. I'll even add that there is great evidence that we have been doing exactly the opposite in an effort to contain them. Paul's remarks are almost certainly wrong.
    If Paul were to argue that arming the rebels increases the risk that weapons could wind up in the hands of ISIS, increase the kind of unstable situation that ISIS can exploit, etc., that would be technically correct. His claim that the U.S. is "arming" ISIS has no basis in fact.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Paul: US has been arming ISIS in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The point is that Paul's claim was that we have supported ISIS, which is false, and which is easily demonstrably false, meaning that Paul either has no idea what he is talking about, or is lying.
    Whether Paul is wrong about that particular brand, I don't know. That brand of militant Islamists has been swelling its ranks with militant Islamists from other groups that demonstrably have received US support. So the point is, had US policy been ME stability, we wouldn't have supported militant Islamic groups since the Carter administration.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •