Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 349

Thread: ISIS in Iraq seizes control of Saddam Hussein’s chemical weapons facility

  1. #181
    Professor
    Checkerboard Strangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    11-12-17 @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,475

    re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    So basically you want to know how to build a nuclear weapon....

    I'll tell you and you will kill yourself doing it but....
    No I did NOT SAY THAT.
    I want to see YOU prove that YOU know how.
    You made the statement so all I am doing is waiting for you to support it, back it up with something.

    Never mind what I know or don't know, we can get to that later if you like.
    But know this, I have not claimed that I know what you claim to know.
    I've never told anyone that I am capable of (A) putting together a nuke weapon, (B) putting one BACK together,
    (C) enriching yellowcake into weapons grade fissionable materials, (D) assembling the necessary "fuze" devices, checking their integrity or
    (E) barring that, estimating their yield as "dirty bomb" type devices.

    Throughout this thread you have either directly and indirectly claimed knowledge and capability of all or part of each of these points.
    Now, where I come from, with my youthful background, (because I am not a nuclear physicist) that's like a guy pulling up at a light, revving
    his engine and claiming he can smoke what I'm driving.

    I'm pointing at the traffic light and saying "On green dude, let's see what you got."
    If I didn't respond to your diatribe, it's possible you may have
    engaged in revisionism or broad sweeping generalizations.
    I don't have time for either, and you're probably on my IGNORE list.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    Someone in this thread, I won't say who, had a father who was directly involved with nuclear weapons, their manufacture, their testing, (both pre and post test ban treaty) weapons effects, nuclear hardening, pulsed power, both SALT Talks programs, thermal X-ray lasers, and global development of early fusion power projects.

    That someone is looking at your statement with a rather jaundiced eye because while that person does not possess his father's level of acumen in the field, he's also not that stupid and still has access to enough materials that he could ask some very embarrassing questions.

    Is this what you really want?
    SALT lol, sounds more like someones father worked at a nuke plant..

    Just for fun, who's to say I don't understand or have the engineering abilities to just build a bomb with the right materials (not that I would)...

    I'll tell you this much I could create yellow cake to fun cake but I would probably kill myself doing it - but so could a lot of people. The key is safety.

    I'm not a nut but understanding how things work is a perplexity of mine - anything.

    Building an "bomb" would not be difficult......

    Getting the "cake" to status would be suicide unless you had the appropriate facilities and safety.

    Do you really think suicide bombers think about that? the engineers will just tell them what to do.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler View Post
    No I did NOT SAY THAT.
    I want to see YOU prove that YOU know how.
    You made the statement so all I am doing is waiting for you to support it, back it up with something.

    Never mind what I know or don't know, we can get to that later if you like.
    But know this, I have not claimed that I know what you claim to know.
    I've never told anyone that I am capable of (A) putting together a nuke weapon, (B) putting one BACK together,
    (C) enriching yellowcake into weapons grade fissionable materials, (D) assembling the necessary "fuze" devices, checking their integrity or
    (E) barring that, estimating their yield as "dirty bomb" type devices.

    Throughout this thread you have either directly and indirectly claimed knowledge and capability of all or part of each of these points.
    Now, where I come from, with my youthful background, (because I am not a nuclear physicist) that's like a guy pulling up at a light, revving
    his engine and claiming he can smoke what I'm driving.

    I'm pointing at the traffic light and saying "On green dude, let's see what you got."
    Yeah you did and the only way I could EVER prove myself is if I told you how to build a nuclear weapon using Uranium.

    I'm not even going to tell you what type of uranium to use - I'm not going to tell you anything.

    I'm full of ****.....

    I know nothing....

  4. #184
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,453
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nice straw man, but prior to your post that wonderfully beat up the old brainless scarecrow no one really was suggesting that....they were simply suggesting claims that there were no WMDs in Iraq was incorrect.

    It's entirely possible to believe those claims to be incorrect and still think the action in Iraq was unjustified or ill advised.
    Oh yeah? How about this little gem at the end of the OP:

    Lots of people owe Bush/Cheney a big apology.
    I dunno about you, but that is pretty much telling. Seems that long after the truth has been revealed, there are those still trying hard to find justification.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  5. #185
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's really not true. The war was sold to the American public based on WMD, the fear of another 9/11, only this time with chemical/biological/nuclear weapons. I remember the Powell presentation....
    If you would actually follow the argument being made that would really help. I was responding to someone arguing that the justification was centered on Saddam's nuclear program. I stated there were many more reasons that that.

    Yeah, sure, the formal declaration of war contained all the breaches, etc. but really no one outside the State Dept or UN cared or cares about violations of UN agreements or terms of a ceasefire.
    This is a very odd statement. The Powell argument was that Saddam had violated many requirements of the cease fire agreement. UN Resolution 1441 is simply a reaffirmation of UN Resolutions 660,661, 678, etc. that were all terms of the original cease fire. The argument was about suspected stockpiles of weapons, unlawful capabilities to produce, unlawful attempts to reconstitute programs and blocking of UN teams from inspections of key Iraqi sites.

    By violating the terms of the cease fire Saddam had entered a war posture. That is all the justification needed for restarting the hot war.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant - Worldnews.com

    Reportedly the ISIS has seized control of Saddam Hussein's best chemical weapons plant and it STILL has stockpiles of Sarin, VX, and mustard gas.

    What happened what we've been hearing about for 12 years about "Bush lied about WMDs in Iraq".

    Now, you can say "oh they're old" (20 years plus).

    Who gives a damn. Lots of old weapons still work fine. The U.S. was using bombs built in WW2 during the Vietnam War.

    The U.S. was firing 16 inch gun rounds from the Iowa class battleship forty years later in Desert Storm.

    At any rate, supposedly, Iraq had NO WMDs which means NO CHEMICAL WEAPONS. And in fact supposedly had NO ABILITY to build them.

    Lots of people owe Bush/Cheney a big apology.
    Why on earth would we apologize for remnants of weapons that were sealed in bunkers because they were too dangerous to destroyed but where military useless for Saddam?

    The UN knew it was there and the material was but beyond use. The production of chemical weapons had been stopped there decades ago. Saddam did not have stockpiles of weapons grade chemical weapons, he did not have a production program of chemical weapons. Nothing had changed since after the first Gulf war. Most chemical weapons had been destroyed, a bit was left an put beyond use and not reused by Saddam.

    Bush and Cheney lied about Saddam's nuclear and chemical weapons programs. That has long been established. This bunker does not change that fact at all.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #187
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    GE (General Explosive) bombs have a longer shelf life than some chemical compounds, and I'll admit to not knowing the shelf life of Iraqi Mustard - from what I understand it was pretty stable, but yeah, as you point out, it's been decades.


    What I don't understand is why folks are surprised. We knew that Saddam still had Sarin back in 2004, which was also the year that it leaked that we had secretly found and removed 2 tons of enriched uranium and roughly 1,000 highly radioactive sources" that "could potentially be used in a radiological dispersal device," or dirty bomb. That's part of what made the simplistic "bush lied people died" chants so annoyingly vapid.
    More like vapid CON no-sense...

    Minute amounts of old chem weapons doesn't a stockpile make. Some arty pro-jos tested positive but were 'rebranded' shells filled with explosives. I can only find 2 cases where an IED tested positive for chem AND apparently were so degraded they failed to be lethal. A test range dstroyed hundreds of bombs and apparently 8 survived destruction in the detonation pits.

    Did you read the Faux Noise article you cite? 2 tons of 3-5% uranium that CAN'T be used for a dirty bomb...

    The more deadly sources are CIVILIAN MEDICAL isotopes that can be found by the 'thousands of sources' in ANY major city...

    The 2007 CIA report on the 'facility' claims the buildings are razed, the equipment destroyed, and the chem stockpiles are old damaged and contaminated.

    You have done ZERO to counter the simplistic chant- 'Bush lied and good troops died'...

  8. #188
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    More like vapid CON no-sense...

    Minute amounts of old chem weapons doesn't a stockpile make.
    Excellent point. Can you post the chemical weapons inventory, types, age, amount and storage facility details?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: ISIS in Iraq seizes control of Saddam Hussein’s chemical weapons facility

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    11 years later? No. However in 2003 the weapons were quite usable and quite dangerous.
    Really? Where are those weapons then? Oh let me guess you're going to go conspiracy theory and say Syria right?

  10. #190
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: ISIL seizes Saddam's chemical weapons plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Excellent point. Can you post the chemical weapons inventory, types, age, amount and storage facility details?
    The ISG (Iraq Survey Group) report did a most excellent job of that. Many online sources have it. The Faux reports, while attempting to ramp the threat up, do show how little was found. (did you read CP's links????) The 2007 CIA report is online. Rather than reinvent the wheel, go check for yourself... if you find a massive stockpile of ready to use Chems by all means post it....

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •