Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 104

Thread: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Yea, we need to pay more in taxes. I really was worried about all the extra money I had.

  2. #22
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Here in Ontario, Canada, by comparison, we pay about 40 cents a litre - the equivalent of $1.60 a US gallon - in tax at the federal and provincial levels combined. And our taxes tax taxes - in other words, the sales tax is charge on the price, including the flat taxes that are included in the price and every time the cost of oil spikes, the amount of taxes paid spikes along with it.

    That said, these taxes currently, basically, go into the black hole of "government revenue" while bridges, roads, and other automobile infrastructure goes wanting for repairs. These taxes which were supposed to be used to maintain transit infrastructure - as well as all driving and car licensing fees doing so also - yet it just goes to cover up the incompetence of governments of all stripes to fund core services.

    Most drivers wouldn't mind taxes on gasoline if they were targeted solely to transit infrastructure - we'd even include public transit if it kept roads in good repair and moving.
    what government needs to do is to properly spend the money where is it needed vs spending it where its politically motivated only to get votes.
    Go Vols

  3. #23
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    what government needs to do is to properly spend the money where is it needed vs spending it where its politically motivated only to get votes.
    Governments, however, appear to be incapable of this simple goal, which is why most conservatives resist strongly any attempts to increase taxes no matter how worthy the reported rationale.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #24
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    i am not against the tax increase on gas because its needed but what we need to do is to have all tax dollars go into the general fund to pay for the needs of the country in stead of having a tax to fund this or that(SS and medicare are other examples).

    ---------

    WASHINGTON (AP) Two senators unveiled a bipartisan plan Wednesday to raise federal gasoline and diesel taxes for the first time in more than two decades, pitching the proposal as a solution to Congress' struggle to pay for highway and transit programs.

    The plan offered by Sens. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Bob Corker, R-Tenn., would raise the 18.4-cents-a-gallon federal gas tax and 24.4-cents-a- gallon diesel tax by 12 cents each over the next two years, and then index the taxes to keep pace with inflation.

    http://news.yahoo.com/senators-propo...--finance.html
    How about a "Transaction Tax" on all stock, bond, commodities, hedges, loans, and all other financial instruments. The gas tax hits low income disproportionately. Time to cancel the one tenth of one percent "free ride" by the real welfare queens and freeloaders.

  5. #25
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Buying more fuel efficient cars and using mass transit instead of driving are good things. We need to use less and less gasoline but still need the roads and bridges maintained. How else but by raising taxes? The poor don't usually have cars.
    No, you're wrong. The whole thing exists on a range. Every time you raise the floor more fall into the poor without a car part of the range. That means everything is more difficult and more expensive. The folks who were poor without a car and through hard work pulled themselves up to being poor with a car just got kicked down the range again. Not to mention, you just breathed new life into all those less efficient vehicles. Because in the range just above the poor with a car are folks who cannot afford to buy a new, fuel efficient car. So what do they buy, the older and older used not fuel efficient car.

    Btw, the commercial transportation sector is the largest user of petro fuels.

  6. #26
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Governments, however, appear to be incapable of this simple goal, which is why most conservatives resist strongly any attempts to increase taxes no matter how worthy the reported rationale.
    blame the voters too. they want everything they can get from government no matter what political side they are on.
    Go Vols

  7. #27
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Gasoline taxes haven't increased (federally) since 1993. Roads haven't gotten cheaper.

    Which is why the asshole liar we have as POTUS now is once again on my ****list. He promised during campaign his first priority would be addressing our failing infrastructure. Instead of the Obamacare nightmare he could have actually kept one of his promises.

  8. #28
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    How about a "Transaction Tax" on all stock, bond, commodities, hedges, loans, and all other financial instruments. The gas tax hits low income disproportionately. Time to cancel the one tenth of one percent "free ride" by the real welfare queens and freeloaders.
    disproportionately low income people are not the ones driving all the miles on the roads. why? because they can't afford to.

    this is the same argument against the sales tax we pay.
    Go Vols

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,105

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase
    won't happen. this is the worst time to propose the increase, too. one wonders what they were thinking, or what the discussions surrounding the proposal of this bill right before the fall election looked like..


    i'm going to try to explain this calmly and rationally. :

    Dear Senators,

    here's how you get more money for roads :

    1. stop with the global interventions when your own house is falling apart. perhaps that money might be better spent domestically, as there is not enough tax revenue currently to maintain our own roads.

    2. look for new revenue streams. some might be controversial, like the legalization and taxation of marijuana, but not nearly as controversial as

    ****ING RAISING THE PRICE OF GAS WHEN EVERYONE IS SO ****ING PISSED OFF ABOUT THE PRICE OF GAS THAT WE HAVE TO TELL YOU IN BIG BOLDED CAPSLOCK LETTERS TO PROPERLY CONVEY THE FURY. ALSO THERE IS ****ING INSTABILITY IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND YOUR CAMPAIGN DONOR BUDDIES ARE GAMBLING UP THE PRICE EVEN MORE WHILE WE DON'T GET RAISES. MIGHT WANT TO THINK OF ANOTHER STRATEGY, OR AT LEAST BETTER TIMING, ****ERS.

    there, i think that's sufficiently sized for King George to read without his spectacles. (yes, i know that this sentiment cannot actually be attributed to John Hancock, but work with me here.)

    Sincerely,

    HELIX

  10. #30
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ft.Wayne In
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    won't happen. this is the worst time to propose the increase, too. one wonders what they were thinking, or what the discussions surrounding the proposal of this bill right before the fall election looked like..


    i'm going to try to explain this calmly and rationally. :

    Dear Senators,

    here's how you get more money for roads :

    1. stop with the global interventions when your own house is falling apart. perhaps that money might be better spent domestically, as there is not enough tax revenue currently to maintain our own roads.

    2. look for new revenue streams. some might be controversial, like the legalization and taxation of marijuana, but not nearly as controversial as

    ****ING RAISING THE PRICE OF GAS WHEN EVERYONE IS SO ****ING PISSED OFF ABOUT THE PRICE OF GAS THAT WE HAVE TO TELL YOU IN BIG BOLDED CAPSLOCK LETTERS TO PROPERLY CONVEY THE FURY. ALSO THERE IS ****ING INSTABILITY IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND YOUR CAMPAIGN DONOR BUDDIES ARE GAMBLING UP THE PRICE EVEN MORE WHILE WE DON'T GET RAISES. MIGHT WANT TO THINK OF ANOTHER STRATEGY, OR AT LEAST BETTER TIMING, ****ERS.

    there, i think that's sufficiently sized for King George to read without his spectacles. (yes, i know that this sentiment cannot actually be attributed to John Hancock, but work with me here.)

    Sincerely,

    HELIX
    I love your passion,I'm 100% with you!!

    Too bad the idiots in DC will never understand.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •