Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 104

Thread: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    My observations in the area where I live are just as valid - or invalid - as your supposition that people drive less when gas prices go up.
    anecdotal evidence which you submitted is not evidence. we do however have national documented proof that people drive less with higher fuel prices. which means less trips shopping and going on vacation.

    Not that it matters, it's irrelevant to my argument.
    it isn't irrelevant it shows that high gas prices hurt the economy.

    So your argument is the money isn't needed? That the government has the funds to pay for road repairs but is increasing gas taxes just because they want more tax revenues? You might be right. I have no idea. But again it isn't what I'm arguing. What I'm saying is simply that the people who use the roads and who derive benefit from them should pay for them. That's all. If that means higher gas prices well that's just the cost of driving. Why should some guy who doesn't own a car subsidize you?
    What you don't understand is that when you raise the gas price everyone pays for it not just the guy driving.

    bus tickets go up. the price of food goes up everything that requires transportation from point A to point B goes up. why? because shippers that ship the stuff charge more money to offset the fuel prices.

    they are not just going to sit there and take the loss. so even the person that doesn't drive has to pay the cost of the increased price in gas.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    anecdotal evidence which you submitted is not evidence. we do however have national documented proof that people drive less with higher fuel prices. which means less trips shopping and going on vacation.



    it isn't irrelevant it shows that high gas prices hurt the economy.



    What you don't understand is that when you raise the gas price everyone pays for it not just the guy driving.

    bus tickets go up. the price of food goes up everything that requires transportation from point A to point B goes up. why? because shippers that ship the stuff charge more money to offset the fuel prices.

    they are not just going to sit there and take the loss. so even the person that doesn't drive has to pay the cost of the increased price in gas.
    I understand that perfectly well. That's the way it SHOULD be. Why shouldn't the cost of an apple reflect the cost of actually getting it from the farm to the market? Why shouldn't the person who eats the apple actually pay that cost? Roads need upkeep. That costs money. That cost should be factored into what it costs you to drive your car. It should be factored into what it costs me to buy an apple that has to be trucked into my local market.

    Again the question is why should someone who doesn't incur that cost subsidize someone who does?
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I understand that perfectly well. That's the way it SHOULD be. Why shouldn't the cost of an apple reflect the cost of actually getting it from the farm to the market? Why shouldn't the person who eats the apple actually pay that cost? Roads need upkeep. That costs money. That cost should be factored into what it costs you to drive your car. It should be factored into what it costs me to buy an apple that has to be trucked into my local market.

    Again the question is why should someone who doesn't incur that cost subsidize someone who does?
    that isn't what you said you said only the people that drive should pay the cost. it isn't only the people that drive that pay the cost. there are a ton of indirect costs of raising gas prices.
    that are secondary in nature.

    yet the price increase of the apple isn't going to fix the roads. it is an inflated price of getting that apple to market.

    that is what I am asking you. you seem to think it is fair that people that don't drive have to pay increased costs because fuel prices go up.

  4. #94
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,355

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    this tax does NOT go into the general fund. they have actually had to use money from the general fund in order to keep the fund that the gas tax supports solvent.
    actually yes it does read about the highway trust fund,it goes to the general treasury fund first,then is later credited to the highway trust fund,the tax does not directly go to the trust fund.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    NOT ANOTHER TAX INCREASE !

    We are already taxed enough already.

    There needs to be a populace movement, we can call it "Taxed Enough Alreay."


    TEA Party movement.

    This "stupid tax" will hurt the trucking and railroad industry. It will be passed on to the consumers.

    Why not a "Stupid People Tax" Tax the stupid people in our society.

  6. #96
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Why not a "Stupid People Tax" Tax the stupid people in our society.
    We already do that, it's called the Lottery.

  7. #97
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Chicago, Suburbs
    Last Seen
    06-27-14 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    307

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    We already do that, it's called the Lottery.
    We have PLENTY of MONEY to support our roads. Here is MY idea, we move the current $52 BILLION in foreign aid we are giving out (Mostly to places like Pakistan and Egypt which hate us anyways) and spend it all on our roads. THere we go problem solved.

    Stupid tax idea, there are other ways to raise money for the roads, like re-appropriating funds we spend elsewhere.

  8. #98
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterLiberty View Post
    We have PLENTY of MONEY to support our roads. Here is MY idea, we move the current $52 BILLION in foreign aid we are giving out (Mostly to places like Pakistan and Egypt which hate us anyways) and spend it all on our roads. THere we go problem solved.

    Stupid tax idea, there are other ways to raise money for the roads, like re-appropriating funds we spend elsewhere.
    I didn't say we don't have plenty of money to support our roads. I just responded to APACHERAT when he said that we should have a tax on stupid people, and I said that we already do, it's called the Lottery.

  9. #99
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    actually yes it does read about the highway trust fund,it goes to the general treasury fund first,then is later credited to the highway trust fund,the tax does not directly go to the trust fund.
    this is semantics routing it thru the general fund, government accounting procedures. its on the books how much the tax brings in vs what it pays out.

    the fact is, the gas tax has not been able to fund the updates to the transportation infrastructure, so there has been a need to borrow money from the "actual" general fund.
    Go Vols

  10. #100
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    11-25-15 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    531

    Re: Senators propose 12-cent gas tax increase

    Get rid of the State DOT union workers. They are to expensive and the work can be done by cheaper labor. If there are going to be 4 workers standing around watching one guy shovel just cut the pay, there are a lot of people out there who will do the job for half the pay. There are Federal Labor laws in place to protect workers now. Those bloated pensions for 20 years of working has to go away. There has to be more than enough money to fix the infrastructure if the Obama epic failure administration wants to make cars electric, and if they are electric how do you keep raising the taxes on gas? Obama has opened the borders to a lot of cheap labor who will not strike and they will be happy to have a job. Let's give these "poor people" a chance to prove themselves.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •