Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 217

Thread: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Fair enough....creepy, but fair enough.

    At least you stand by what you say.
    It just doesn't matter to me. I don't watch sports and I don't see any reason to care about team names.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Wikipedia is not the be all end all for definitions. Seeing as anyone can edit it.
    Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR

    The Pioneers and other books by Cooper were largely seen as sympathetic toward Native Americans and their struggles in the 1800s. Decades later, the word "redskin" began to take on a negative, increasingly violent connotation. Author L. Frank Baum, best known for his classic The Wizard of Oz, celebrated the death of Sitting Bull and the massacre at Wounded Knee calling for the extermination of all remaining Native Americans. In one of the December 1890 pieces, Baum wrote, "With his fall the nobility of the Redskin is extinguished, and what few are left are a pack of whining curs who lick the hand that smites them."
    In 1915, the poet Earl Emmons released , a book so offensive I had to double-check to make sure it wasn't a parody of the racism of that era. Emmons makes his intentions clear in the introduction of the work: "Those persons who got their idea of the Indian from Mr. Cooper have pictured him as an injured innocent. ... Those persons have acquired the wrong idea of the maroon brother." That introduction kicks off a series of poems, songs and speeches, each more offensive than the last.
    Again, this is nothing new.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #183
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Because not caring about racism is the grown up thing to do. *snicker*

    Where'd you learn that?
    I disagree that it isn't an "in yo face" strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It just doesn't matter to me. I don't watch sports and I don't see any reason to care about team names.
    Like I said, fair enough.

    I thought when I first read your post that you were making a blustering, exaggerated statement.

    I was wrong...you meant it.


    Personally, I do watch sports and I think it's dumb to call a team a name that offends so many people. Plus, I think it is insensitive. Though it does not offend me (takes a lot of offend me)...it just makes me lose respect for the owner.

    But it is their team and they should be free to call it whatever they want.
    Last edited by DA60; 06-12-14 at 05:14 PM.

  5. #185
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The Washington Redskins have been around since 1932 when first playing in Boston. The Atlanta Braves were first the Boston Braves beginning in 1870, then on to Milwaukee and finally Atlanta. The Cleveland Indians have been around since 1901 and not a single person has gone hungry or died because these three team were named after American Indians.

    I don't consider it any of my business what a private organization or team calls themselves. This is America, if you don't like their nickname, then don't go to their games. Before the Braves arrived in Atlanta we had a minor league team called the Atlanta Crackers, no problem there. Then to top it off since we also had a Negro league team, they were known as the Atlanta Black Crackers.
    So you are white and that's why name calling doesn't bother you. Because systemic injustice cannot touch you.

    If you were a minority, you would understand that sometimes it's more than name calling. It's perpetuating systemic injustice.


    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I disagree that it isn't an "in yo face" strategy.
    Yes, of course.

  6. #186
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That woman's dishonest activism has been the single biggest factor in this whole idiotic issue for decades.

    In terms of her justification of the claim that the name came about due to scalping bounties


    I worked for about a decade for the Bureau of Indian Affairs as an IT specialist and traveled around a bit in the reservations and worked with a lot of Indians. You'd never guess which team was most commonly rooted for.

    (Hint: It wasn't the Cowboys)
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #187
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Wikipedia is not the be all end all for definitions. Seeing as anyone can edit it.
    It's not the end all be all....but Redskin absolutely has been used as a derogatory term. Suggesting it ALWAYS is one is incorrect, but you can't try and claim that it's not been used in that way at some point.

  8. #188
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    At the end of the day, money talks. If the people who want the name changed can come up with enough money to persuade the owner to change the name, and it could be billions, no doubt he would change it, everyone and everything has a price. On the flip side, if the vast majority of people, including Redskins fans want the name changed, they would boycott the Redskins until the name is changed, the owner would lose a lot of money and be forced to change the name.

  9. #189
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,645

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR

    Author L. Frank Baum, best known for his classic The Wizard of Oz, celebrated the death of Sitting Bull and the massacre at Wounded Knee calling for the extermination of all remaining Native Americans. In one of the December 1890 pieces, Baum wrote, "With his fall the nobility of the Redskin is extinguished, and what few are left are a pack of whining curs who lick the hand that smites them."
    NPR is making an absurd argument. Does the term a group uses for themselves become pejorative because some person wanted to exterminate them?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I worked for about a decade for the Bureau of Indian Affairs as an IT specialist and traveled around a bit in the reservations and worked with a lot of Indians. You'd never guess which team was most commonly rooted for.

    (Hint: It wasn't the Cowboys)
    I'd probably guess it right given the reaction I recieved for my Redskins cap I had on when I last attended NNALEA. However, while that helps me personally in terms of feeling comfortable with my position, I generally don't bring up those kind of things because they're largely annecdotal.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •