Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 217

Thread: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

  1. #171
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    So if the team owner changes the name, who compensates him the hundreds of millions of dollars that the brand name is worth? Perhaps the people who think it should be changed should come up with the cash?
    That's not how losing money works. Teams don't lose money when they change names. If anything, the old jerseys become expensive memorabilia.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #172
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,673

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Redskin (slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Redskin as a derogatory term is nothing made up or new.
    False. It IS a new interpretation of the word built on a stack of phony historical references that have been thrown out of court a few times now for lack of historical verification.

    The only historical documentation of the term "Redskin" has been benign and originating with Native American tribes.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #173
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,964

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    So yeah, that ad is a lie, Suzan Harjo is a liar, and the name should be aloud to stay.
    That woman's dishonest activism has been the single biggest factor in this whole idiotic issue for decades.

    In terms of her justification of the claim that the name came about due to scalping bounties:

    There are some who claim that the "scalp evidence" has nothing to do with Indian or bloody skin, because they cannot find the words "skin" or "red" in bounty documents. They do not allow that scalp is skin, and that the skin of the head, with or without hair, is insufficient evidence of gender or age. (They also claim that native people introduced themselves as "Red Skin", because that's how Europeans translated to English what native men said in their tribal languages, when they likely said they were a Red, Blood, or Related Person or Man

    (Source)
    So she claims that the term "Redskin" is rooted in the bounties calling for the scalping of native americans despite the fact that she has NO EVIDENCE of "red" or "skin" showing up on these documents (let alone directly following each other). The reason for this? Essentially "um...scalps are skin and blood is red, so naturally it was saying REDSKIN without saying it. Do the math people!"

    And the amazingly revolting and infuriating issue with this is that her unsubstantiated bull**** has been bought by others as fact and oft repeated in the media...where as the actual fact based, historical, academic research into the subject done by a Senior member of the Smithsonian Institute is basically never referenced by anyone in the media.

    Which is part of the clear and obvious issue here; is that there's no effort, what so ever, on the part of the media to give anywhere near an honest, unbiased, even presentation of the facts as it relates to this. It reminds me of an instance from ESPN's "news" show, Outside the Line, debating this issue. Their portion for the "pro" side of keep the name?:

    1. They grabbed a random blogger.
    2. The host addressed every question from basically an attacking or negative starting point
    3. The entire time they used a split screen playing three decade old footage from Redskin games of things that no longer occur (such as, at one time, the band being in costume but has not occured for YEARS).

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Really?

    So if they changed the name to the 'Child Molesters'...you would say the same thing?
    Yes, I would.

  5. #175
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not how losing money works. Teams don't lose money when they change names. If anything, the old jerseys become expensive memorabilia.
    The Redskins is a valuable brand name. If he were to change it to appease a tiny minority of people, you can bet that the owner would demand compensation for that brand name. If the vast majority of people wanted the name changed, they could simply boycott the team until he changes it, then he would have to change it. I don't see that happening though.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Just moved, think I will unpack all my Redskins gear tonight and sing Hail to the Redskins with my other HTTR fans.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    So you come up with a complete strawman to address his statement, when you knew damn well what he meant. Nice!
    Glad you like my post...enough time wasted on you.

    We are done here.


    Good day.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, I would.
    Fair enough....creepy, but fair enough.

    At least you stand by what you say.

  9. #179
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Re: Anti-Redskins ad airing during NBA Finals[W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Glad you like my post...enough time wasted on you.

    We are done here.


    Good day.
    Good. Go troll somewhere else. Thank you.

  10. #180
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,964

    Re: Tonighjt June 11 Watch The NBA Half Time For A Redskins Protest of Racism

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    When you refer to a person by the color of their skin you are in fact drawing a distinct line between that which is proper and normal (your society) and that which isn't.
    Thanks for your opinion Hatuey, but being that you're not a God or possess any magical powers, the fact is you have no basis nor notion to indicate a motive as to why people do what they do in such a broad manner.

    While an argument could possibly be argued that doing so is clearly a sign of indicating a difference between what you see as "normal" (debatable), whether or not its "proper" is an entirely judgement call and something you have absolutely ZERO means of identifying if that is a persons thought behind such a use on a grand scale.

    Whether or not you find some uses of the word acceptable, the very nature by which slurs are conceived makes it clear that these words are meant to isolate and discriminate against the group.
    So essentially the gist of your argument was that Redskin was a slur created by Native Americans about themselves? Since it was "concieved" by Native Americans and it refered to themselves by the color of their skin.

    The fact that redskin was in and of itself a slang term and not an officially sanctioned use of the word (as opposed to Africans and Indians) proves that at no point was this word meant to do anything other than single out Native Americans on basis of their color.
    So by this reasoning, calling someone "white" or "black" is also a slur ... because it's the simple instance of referring to someone based on their color that makes it a slur?

    By that logic, calling people "Blonde" or "Brunette" is ALSO a slur as it's singling them out on the basis of color of a feature they're born with.

    Similarly, there simply isn't a context in which calling someone a kike or a wop would be anything more than a slur used to single out Native Americans as different and unlike the rest.
    Except, going by the logic and reasoning of the Hautey that has the ability to discern peoples intents and thoughts, the word Redskin was used to identify everyone else as UNLIKE native americans. Thus they termed themselves as a collective "red skins" and the settlers they were dealing with "white skins".

    In short, it's a racist word that revisionists have given new meaning to.
    Quite the opposite. It's a word that factually, historically, was not racist in the least. It was later co-opted to be used as a racist term.

    The revisionists are those that claim the words origins are racist in nature.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •