Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

  1. #71
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,578

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if they are being paid by the hour instead of the mile?
    they will be slow driving like municipal employees
    No, they won't...lol! I work with houry drivers and they go as fast as they can get away with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #72
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    that's all we need
    the slow lane clogged with semis traveling at 40 MPH
    I guess the drivers where I live must get paid by the job because they drive fast as Hell here. There's been four 18 wheeler accidents in the past few months that I know about involving cars. I really wish there were new laws that would place a serious financial burden on the driver, the carrier, and make the insurance company pay up dearly for any loss due to a tractor trailer wreck that is the operator's fault.

    I'm talking financial ruin and even jail time. Then see how many 18 wheeler wrecks there are in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  3. #73
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,697

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    An 18 wheeler tanker truck in the left (center) lane crossed the line on a four lane highway and hit my new car in the right lane last month. We were both traveling in the same direction. I was traveling 45 mph, speed limit, and he hit the driver side rear wheel, spun my car in front of him, and pushed me sideways for about 300 feet according to the police. I thought I was going to die because I just knew my car was going to roll over, but it didn't. Looking out the driver side window all I could see was the grill of the 18 wheeler as he pushed my car down the road. I went to the hospital in an ambulance on a wooden board with a neck brace on.

    As it turns out I had whiplash and was better after several doctor and chiropractic visits. My new car, which had less than 900 miles on it had structural and other damage that cost over $10,000 to repair. I fought with the insurance company to total the car but they wouldn't.

    I can't find an attorney to take the case because I'm not dead or maimed. Now I'm stuck with having to deal with the other guy's insurance company about the depreciated value of my car, compensation for my missed work time, and my wife's missed work time because of the accident. Bastards!

    18 wheelers are dangerous. Whatever repercussion the driver of that wreck gets, because it was no accident, he deserves. **** the legal responsibilities of his employer or insurance company, he was driving the truck.
    Find MaggieD. She might be able to give you some pointers about depreciated value. She posted a pretty informative thread about it a month or two ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,578

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    I guess the drivers where I live must get paid by the job because they drive fast as Hell here. There's been four 18 wheeler accidents in the past few months that I know about involving cars. I really wish there were new laws that would place a serious financial burden on the driver, the carrier, and make the insurance company pay up dearly for any loss due to a tractor trailer wreck that is the operator's fault.


    Statistically speaking, 3 of those wrecks were the car's fault.

    I'm talking financial ruin and even jail time. Then see how many 18 wheeler wrecks there are in the US.
    You got your wish and then some. Even if the driver, trucking company isn't at fault, they can still be held responsible; including financial ruin and jail time.

    A guy hired on with my company back in March. He went on a job to New Jersey and while he was in Pennsylvania, a woman changed lanes into him. There were four witnesses that said she hit him, he was going 5 mph below the speed limit, his logbook was straight, but he was charged with, "failure to prevent an accident". It was ruled that he should have seen her coming and tried to prevent the collision. The company settled out of court for a million bucks and he had to find another job, because his CSA score is fried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Statistically speaking, 3 of those wrecks were the car's fault.



    You got your wish and then some. Even if the driver, trucking company isn't at fault, they can still be held responsible; including financial ruin and jail time.

    A guy hired on with my company back in March. He went on a job to New Jersey and while he was in Pennsylvania, a woman changed lanes into him. There were four witnesses that said she hit him, he was going 5 mph below the speed limit, his logbook was straight, but he was charged with, "failure to prevent an accident". It was ruled that he should have seen her coming and tried to prevent the collision. The company settled out of court for a million bucks and he had to find another job, because his CSA score is fried.
    Its kind of hard to prevent an accident driving an 18 wheeler when someone hits you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #76
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,578

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Its kind of hard to prevent an accident driving an 18 wheeler when someone hits you.
    I couldn't agree more, but that's not how the Feds see it. In their point of view, the truck driver is the professional and his held to a higher standard.

    Everybody is calling to make big trucks safer; here ya go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Charged with what the driver was charged with, I would venture to say he was on the clock.

    If he was dispatched, he should have told the dispatcher he needed rest or sleep. two wrongs don't make a right, besides, most GOOD dispatchers will ask drivers if they are ready to run.
    The drivers are supposed to log all their hours of course.

    It's harder to avoid it these days but not impossible.

    I worked on a project for some of the commercial truck tracking diagnostic software...those guys have EVERYTHING tracked these days. Plus the diagnostics are hooked directly into the truck engine and other systems....they know exactly when and where and how long a truck is just idling. They can track every pee break. It was pretty cool.

    But so much for the 'freedom of the road.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #78
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The drivers are supposed to log all their hours of course.

    It's harder to avoid it these days but not impossible.

    I worked on a project for some of the commercial truck tracking diagnostic software...those guys have EVERYTHING tracked these days. Plus the diagnostics are hooked directly into the truck engine and other systems....they know exactly when and where and how long a truck is just idling. They can track every pee break. It was pretty cool.

    But so much for the 'freedom of the road.'
    I don't know Lursa, where did this information come from that he'd been awake for 24? Did the driver make a mistake and tell a trooper that? or did media distort the truth? His attorney said recently on twitter that what the media posted was a lie, who to believe?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    I don't know Lursa, where did this information come from that he'd been awake for 24? Did the driver make a mistake and tell a trooper that? or did media distort the truth? His attorney said recently on twitter that what the media posted was a lie, who to believe?
    No idea. It's what I heard in the media as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Prosecutor: Trucker in Tracy Morgan crash hadn't slept



    This is inexplicable, how can this happen? Aren't those Walmart drivers tracked per DOT regulations? If they are, why didn't his dispatcher tell him he needed time off?

    This accident should never have happened IMO.
    They are humans and humans make mistakes. That said, I always tell the wife to stay as far away from commercial trucks as possible.
    And I am in the industry.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •