Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Results 191 to 200 of 200

Thread: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

  1. #191
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,243

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Not sure I've said it here, but I've been saying since year 2 of his presidency that his ultimate goal is a seat in the UN. So he has to be like a dog sniffing and licking the butt of every world hoodlum out there.

  2. #192
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    I can't really figure out what you are trying to say here.
    I'm trying to suggest that calling people hypocrites based on previously wanting this guy released, but being opposed to it now in light of new information OR being opposed to certain aspects of it, are not "hypocrites".

    Much like one would not be a hypocrite if they wanted Obama to get rid of Holder but then got upset if he murdered Holder in an effort to "get rid of him", I don't think someone who wanted Bergdahl freed but is upset as to the METHOD of that attaining that freedom isn't a hypocrite.

    One could have wanted him freed, but still honestly and unhypocritically be upset about the possible illegal action in the process of freeing him.

    One could have wanted him freed, but still honestly disagree with the extent of what we gave to get his freedom

    One could have wanted him freed, but then became bothered by him being freed once they gained further information about his possible transgressions before being a POW.

    I'm not trying to label you a hypocrite. On the contrary, I'm suggesting you and others like you aren't.

    To go on a flip side for liberals...

    I'd say the same if there are/were liberals that were calling for Bergdahl to be released, and then criticize the METHOD if instead of swapping prisoners Obama ramped up ground troop engagement against the Taliban until he could be recovered physically, essentially resurging the Afghanistan war for the single prisoner. They would not be "hypocrites" because even though they wanted the President to get the guy back it's still possible to disagree with the method they went aobut it.

    Or lets say they want to get the POW back, but once he's gotten back it's discovered he potentially raped some Afghaney women and tortured some detainee's. I sincerely doubt we've be hearing claims of "SWIFT BOATING" if that occured, nor do I think the individuals on the left would take kindly to be called hypocrites for changing thier opinion on a matter once further information came to light.

  3. #193
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Lately I've heard that there was talk of a deal of ransom for Bergdahl but that wouldn't have done anything re Gitmo so that was scrapped.
    Link please.

  4. #194
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm trying to suggest that calling people hypocrites based on previously wanting this guy released, but being opposed to it now in light of new information OR being opposed to certain aspects of it, are not "hypocrites".

    Much like one would not be a hypocrite if they wanted Obama to get rid of Holder but then got upset if he murdered Holder in an effort to "get rid of him", I don't think someone who wanted Bergdahl freed but is upset as to the METHOD of that attaining that freedom isn't a hypocrite.

    One could have wanted him freed, but still honestly and unhypocritically be upset about the possible illegal action in the process of freeing him.

    One could have wanted him freed, but still honestly disagree with the extent of what we gave to get his freedom

    One could have wanted him freed, but then became bothered by him being freed once they gained further information about his possible transgressions before being a POW.

    I'm not trying to label you a hypocrite. On the contrary, I'm suggesting you and others like you aren't.

    To go on a flip side for liberals...

    I'd say the same if there are/were liberals that were calling for Bergdahl to be released, and then criticize the METHOD if instead of swapping prisoners Obama ramped up ground troop engagement against the Taliban until he could be recovered physically, essentially resurging the Afghanistan war for the single prisoner. They would not be "hypocrites" because even though they wanted the President to get the guy back it's still possible to disagree with the method they went aobut it.

    Or lets say they want to get the POW back, but once he's gotten back it's discovered he potentially raped some Afghaney women and tortured some detainee's. I sincerely doubt we've be hearing claims of "SWIFT BOATING" if that occured, nor do I think the individuals on the left would take kindly to be called hypocrites for changing thier opinion on a matter once further information came to light.

    Well, my personal opinion has 'changed' the more information I have gotten. IMO, this particular soldier should have been the LAST one we tried to bring home given that he is a deserter. It would be different if he had been captured in the actual service of the US, but trading 5 high ranking Taliban for him? That's absurd. No doubt Obama will try to add this guy's status as a deserter to the long list of things he has been clueless about over the last 6 years. I have lost count of the number of 'I didn't know.........' memes he has used. However, as a member of the general public, in addition to the many things I don't WANT to know, there is a lot that I didn't know. Good news turned to bad pretty quickly in this case.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #195
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Then it is not slander. It is error.
    Ok I can buy that - or maybe it's just a lie.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Scumbag
    Heya B......Check this thread out I had up Back in Feb on Bergdahl. Check my response out back then.

    Report: US Wants to Swap Taliban for Bergdahl.....

    The Obama administration has decided to revive talks with the Afghan Taliban in an effort to free the only known American soldier in captivity in exchange for the release of Taliban prisoners held at the U.S. detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, The Washington Post reported late Monday.



    Five Taliban prisoners who have been held at Guantanamo for years would be released to protective custody in exchange for the release of Bergdahl, who was captured in Afghanistan in 2009, the newspaper reported, citing current and former U.S. officials familiar with the decision.

    The Post reported that senior officials from the White House, the Pentagon, the State Department and other agencies decided within the past month to allow the release of all five prisoners at the same time, though the exchange offer has not been formally made.

    The report comes a month after U.S. officials confirmed they'd received a video showing Bergdahl, 27, in poorer health than previous footage taken in the years since he went missing in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009. Bergdahl was based on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Alaska when he was captured.

    The effort to revive talks comes amid U.S. frustration over Afghan President Hamid Karzai's refusal to sign a long-term security agreement with the U.S. that he agreed to last year. The pact would provide the legal basis for any U.S. forces to remain in Afghanistan as trainers and advisers after the international combat mission ends in December.....snip~

    Report: US Wants to Swap Taliban for Bergdahl | Military.com

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...-bergdahl.html


    Who decided to revive talks with the Taliban. Who does the Washington Post say it was?

    Oh no.....not the State Dept weighing in again.
    Last edited by MMC; 06-05-14 at 06:26 PM.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,211

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Link please.
    He was held by the Hakani network

    They pretty much are the funding engine of the Taliban.

    Hard to believe money didnt change hands at some point

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    He was held by the Hakani network

    They pretty much are the funding engine of the Taliban.

    Hard to believe money didnt change hands at some point


    Thats Right Fenton .....and we have straight from them. Not to mention even Gates brought it all up.


    Afghan Taliban: US soldier Bergdahl a 'precious bird'

    PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Members of the Afghan Taliban confirmed to NBC News on Thursday that they are still holding the American soldier Bowe Bergdahl who disappeared from his base in Afghanistan in 2009, but claimed he sometimes stops eating and drinking.

    “He is our special guest, and we consider him a precious bird, that’s why our men are taking care of him. We have been arranging food of his choice, but sometimes he stops eating and drinking and his hunger strike continues for a few days,” said a senior member of the Afghan Taliban, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

    Only official Afghan Taliban spokesmen Qari Yousaf Ahmadi and Zabihullah Mujahid, are allowed to interact with media.

    Bergdahl was later shifted to Pakistan’s tribal areas and held in the mountains, according to the Taliban commander. His captor, Sangeen, died in a U. S. drone attack last year in Pakistan’s North Waziristan.

    Two years ago, when the Taliban opened their office in Qatar for peace talks with the U.S., there were prospects of an exchange of prisoners. The Haqqani network handed Bergdahl over to the Afghan Taliban because they wanted to exchange him for their top five commanders being held at Guantanamo Bay, the Taliban commander said.

    “U.S. officials had promised us that first they would exchange prisoners and then start peace talks. But it didn’t take place. And finally when there was no hope of prisoners’ swap, the soldier was returned to the Haqqani network,” the Taliban commander said.

    Gates added that he’s glad his captors have apparently taken care of him.....snip~

    Afghan Taliban: US soldier Bergdahl a 'precious bird' - World News

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...desertion.html

    Actually the first time the Taliban made demands.....they demanded 21 be released and that they be given 1 million dollars.

  9. #199
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Ok I can buy that - or maybe it's just a lie.
    Which would be intentional and, therefore, slander.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: White House apologizes to lawmakers over secret POW Swap.....

    Should BO have to apologize for this guy?


    One of Obama's GITMO Five Releases Helped With Lead-Up to 9/11.....



    Writing in the Weekly Standard, Foundation for the Defense of Democracies Senior Fellow Thomas Joscelyn writes that the "Taliban 5" are worse "than we've heard." In fact one of them, Mohammad Fazl, played a key roll in the lead-up to the 2001 9/11 terror attacks.

    Mohammad Fazl, who served as the Taliban’s army chief of staff and deputy defense minister prior to his detention at Guantánamo, did not have a hand in planning the actual 9/11 hijackings. Along with a notorious al Qaeda leader, however, Fazl did help coordinate a military offensive against the enemies of the Taliban and al Qaeda in Afghanistan the day before. And Osama bin Laden viewed that September 10 offensive as an essential part of al Qaeda’s 9/11 plot.



    Good News: One of Obama's GITMO Five Releases Helped With Lead-Up to 9/11 - Katie Pavlich

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •