Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 298

Thread: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it cou

  1. #131
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Yes, but this is spelled out in the constitution. Where does it say that congress can pass a law that restricts the actions of the executive branch? This is why signing statements became a legal option for a president. He is acknowledging a bill he signs, with exception. He can only make such exceptions to items that affect the executive branch.

    Did you read the link to his signing statement I posted?
    It is no secret that all branches of government have overstepped their powers. The reason...the rule of law was not respected. To think that a sitting president can be exempted from certain parts of a law that he activated with his signature, because of commentary over parts of the law he was in conflict with somehow gives him the authority to not honor that law in its entirety is insane. The practice needs to stop. And if not, just elect a friggin King and bypass all the other bull****.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,220

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    The Congress passes laws and has the power of the purse. Both give them power over the Executive to a certain extent. If Congress passes a law that restricts what the Executive can do, the Executive can take it to the SCOTUS. Short of that, the President is required by the Constitution to enforce the law, even against himself. If not, he is a tyrant, and should be impeached.

    Presidential signing statements are not law, and do not have the power of law:
    Yawn.

    Do you have an example that is of the executive branch rather than Nixon wanting to ignore the Mansfield Amendment?

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    It is no secret that all branches of government have overstepped their powers. The reason...the rule of law was not respected. To think that a sitting president can be exempted from certain parts of a law that he activated with his signature, because of commentary over parts of the law he was in conflict with somehow gives him the authority to not honor that law in its entirety is insane. The practice needs to stop. And if not, just elect a friggin King and bypass all the other bull****.

    Obey the laws, and we fought to end kings for a reason. look LOP has no clue how our government even works.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,220

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    Obey the laws, and we fought to end kings for a reason. look LOP has no clue how our government even works.
    Sure I do, and the actions of signing statements that affect the executive branch will continue to occur like Obama is doing, until someone takes it to the Supremes.

  5. #135
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    Obey the laws, and we fought to end kings for a reason. look LOP has no clue how our government even works.
    You know recently I re-read the Declaration of Independence and when Thomas Jefferson was pointing out the conflicts we had with King George, it wasn't a stretch to see Obama playing the role of King George. I don't believe LOP has no clue, for sure. I often find myself agreeing with him on many issues, just not this one.

  6. #136
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Yawn.

    Do you have an example that is of the executive branch rather than Nixon wanting to ignore the Mansfield Amendment?
    Yawn? Seriously? Well, that is in line with your argument in this thread, since the ruling of the law regarding signing statements that was in the link is... well... the law.

    Here's a fact. I stated that signing statements are not the law, and provided a US Court ruling that specifically states so. You said, and I quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    ... This is why signing statements became a legal option for a president. He is acknowledging a bill he signs, with exception. He can only make such exceptions to items that affect the executive branch. ...
    Where is your court ruling stating such?

  7. #137
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,220

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    You know recently I re-read the Declaration of Independence and when Thomas Jefferson was pointing out the conflicts we had with King George, it wasn't a stretch to see Obama playing the role of King George. I don't believe LOP has no clue, for sure. I often find myself agreeing with him on many issues, just not this one.
    So, what is worse.

    Vetoing a piece of legislation for a single thing you don't like, and not expect to happen, or let something you otherwise agree with never get passed?

    Did you read his signing statement on this matter?

    Do you think congress, or anyone else, will take this matter to the courts?

  8. #138
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    ... This is why signing statements became a legal option for a president. He is acknowledging a bill he signs, with exception. He can only make such exceptions to items that affect the executive branch.

    ...
    And to the question about them being heard at the SCOTUS it already has: Clinton v. City of New York, 524 U.S. 417 (1998)

  9. #139
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,220

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    And to the question about them being heard at the SCOTUS it already has: Clinton v. City of New York, 524 U.S. 417 (1998)
    Fail...

    I specified decisions that affect the executive branch.

    I don't see such a case being taken to court. Politicians like the murkiness. Presidents will continue to use signing statements, and other reasons to pass laws and ignore the parts that affect the executive branch. Until challenged, it will be normal, and the media and detractors are incapable of making a valid noise on such issues, because they cry wolf too often.

  10. #140
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Taliban prisoner swap was ILLEGAL claims GOP as former federal prosecutor says it

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    So, what is worse.

    Vetoing a piece of legislation for a single thing you don't like, and not expect to happen, or let something you otherwise agree with never get passed?

    Did you read his signing statement on this matter?

    Do you think congress, or anyone else, will take this matter to the courts?
    For me personally, if the legislation in any part is found to be unconstitutionally sound as Obama seem to feel in part was by his added comments, then he should by all means vetoed it if he wanted to be true to his oath which the Constitution requires, and it goes like this...(The wording is specified in Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight)
    I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
    You can't defend the Constitution if you are signing bills into law when you find a part of them violating it.

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •