Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 82

Thread: Reports: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer wins bidding for Clippers with NBA-record

  1. #71
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reports: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer wins bidding for Clippers with NB...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Ballmer is worth $20 Billion+, not Sterling. I think Sterling is only worth a paltry ~$2 Billion.
    Ahh yes, that makes more sense. I knew Ballmer was well off being part founder of Microsoft. I'd be happy with $2 million.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Seattle clippers

    He does have a little money in the Sounders. And yes, they are an incredibly well run team. I think you can make the argument that the 3 northwest teams (and I'm including Vancouver in that grouping, even though they are southwest Canada) have been instrumental in putting the MLS on its feet.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #73
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Seattle clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    He does have a little money in the Sounders. And yes, they are an incredibly well run team. I think you can make the argument that the 3 northwest teams (and I'm including Vancouver in that grouping, even though they are southwest Canada) have been instrumental in putting the MLS on its feet.
    And yet we have M's to remind us of what a terribly run franchise is like.

  4. #74
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Re: Seattle clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And yet we have M's to remind us of what a terribly run franchise is like.
    Are the Mariners terribly run? Or have they just not won anything? There is a difference. Most people don't even know what the Seattle Sounders are, but apparently they are well run. The Mariners are at least playing a sport in a league that people watch.

  5. #75
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Seattle clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Are the Mariners terribly run? Or have they just not won anything? There is a difference. Most people don't even know what the Seattle Sounders are, but apparently they are well run. The Mariners are at least playing a sport in a league that people watch.
    The Sounders average almost 40k per home and and sometimes sell the Clink out. I'd say someone is watching.

  6. #76
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Re: Seattle clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    The Sounders average almost 4th per home and and sometimes sell the Clink out. I'd say someone is watching.
    They have a fan base, that's good. But MLS is still almost unheard of, in this country, let alone the world where it's virtually non-existent. Are the Mariners really a poorly run team?

  7. #77
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Seattle clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    They have a fan base, that's good. But MLS is still almost unheard of, in this country, let alone the world where it's virtually non-existent. Are the Mariners really a poorly run team?
    Yes sorry my fever just hit 103. Ask Wiggen to explain. Gnite.

  8. #78
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,726

    Reports: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer wins bidding for Clippers with NB...

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yes sorry my fever just hit 103. Ask Wiggen to explain. Gnite.
    Wigger, please explain, per Top Cat.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Reports: Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer wins bidding for Clippers with NB...

    Yes, the Mariners are a very poorly run team. From atrocious trades (Anybody remember Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek for Heathcliffe Slocum? Or how about Adam Jones and Chris Tillman to the Orioles for Eric Bedard? Or Choo and Cabrera to the Indians for nothing?), to the failure to spend money when money is available, to spending 240 million dollars on Robinson Cano and giving him no protection in the lineup, to having one season over .500 in the last ten years. I could go on, but there are many questions one could ask about the Seattle Mariners. Whether they have been poorly managed isn't one of them. We've only had a half a dozen seasons over .500 since 1977.

    As for the Sounders, they are doing just fine. And so, by the way, is the MLS. From nearly going out of business a few years ago, they just signed an extremely lucrative television contract that is truly remarkable for where the sport is at.

    MLS agrees to new TV*deal | SI Wire

    No, it isn't on par with the big three, but it's doing just fine.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #80
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,878

    Re: Seattle clippers

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    They have a fan base, that's good. But MLS is still almost unheard of, in this country, let alone the world where it's virtually non-existent. Are the Mariners really a poorly run team?
    They've had a pretty rotten run of GMs lately.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •