Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 186 of 186

Thread: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

  1. #181
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    UTI's can be serious, but the possibility of developing one is not a medical emergency


    There have been reasonable criticisms about the policy, however there is nothing wrong with having a policy that limits bathroom breaks, particularly in a class where the students have been taking breaks excessively which is what was happening in this class.
    UTIs/kidney infections/bladder infections are bad and no one, especially children, should have to risk them just because some do not consider them to ever be "emergencies".

    I never said that there shouldn't be a reasonable policy on limiting bathroom breaks. In fact, I suggested at least one. But I believe that this whole "taking excessive breaks" thing is being exaggerated here. And this policy really doesn't in itself limit all bathroom breaks to all students, nor in the correct way. Students who care more about breaks during their school time could easily earn and use their money just on bathroom breaks. Children do not think ahead about these sorts of things. And this sort of thing is not going to make children more likely to spend their money "wisely", nor should it be done.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #182
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why? There is little to no connection to real life here. Even at work, most of the time you are going to be able to take breaks, even if it means getting someone to cover for you. Most adults, especially in the US, do not have to pay anything or even earn bathroom breaks.
    Teaches the value of money. I keep hearing about the makers vs takers from the GOP.

  3. #183
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    Teaches the value of money. I keep hearing about the makers vs takers from the GOP.
    No, charging for the bathroom (especially such outrageous prices) does not teach the proper value of money. For one thing, adults do not generally pay to use the restroom, even at work. It works to teach the value of money when you let them earn "money" to buy treats or privileges. Going to the bathroom is not a privilege. It is a natural function that should be considered a right. It can be controlled so that it doesn't cause a major distraction during class time through much better means than being paid for, as most schools/teachers are quite capable of doing. When I was in school we had a reading program where you earned points by reading approved books and taking computerized tests for those books. Those points could then be used to buy various items the English teachers had. That teaches the value of money. Having them buy treats, as they were doing, teaches them the value of money. Making them pay for bathroom visits does not teach the value of money because in the adult world, bathroom breaks do not generally cost money.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #184
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, charging for the bathroom (especially such outrageous prices) does not teach the proper value of money. For one thing, adults do not generally pay to use the restroom, even at work. It works to teach the value of money when you let them earn "money" to buy treats or privileges. Going to the bathroom is not a privilege. It is a natural function that should be considered a right. It can be controlled so that it doesn't cause a major distraction during class time through much better means than being paid for, as most schools/teachers are quite capable of doing. When I was in school we had a reading program where you earned points by reading approved books and taking computerized tests for those books. Those points could then be used to buy various items the English teachers had. That teaches the value of money. Having them buy treats, as they were doing, teaches them the value of money. Making them pay for bathroom visits does not teach the value of money because in the adult world, bathroom breaks do not generally cost money.
    I am going to stop you with your first sentence. Neither you nor I have any idea what the students do to earn a dollar or fifty of them for that matter.

  5. #185
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    I am going to stop you with your first sentence. Neither you nor I have any idea what the students do to earn a dollar or fifty of them for that matter.
    No, we don't. But if you are trying to relate it to real world money experience, then you do not allow the prices to get that high.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #186
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: UPDATE: Pay-To-Pee Teacher Faces No Discipline[W:146]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, we don't. But if you are trying to relate it to real world money experience, then you do not allow the prices to get that high.
    I am sorry, but we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •