Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 102

Thread: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

  1. #21
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    If I find a grain of gold on a huge beach of billions of grains of sand I can not assert any probability that I will find another ...
    It would be against logic and reason to presume you found the only existing grain of gold. Nothing else is unique. Why would the grain of gold, or earth life, be.

    You might not find another, and presuming to find one is without support, but assuming no others exist is just dumb.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The existence of a billion planets like our is evidence of life outside the earth. As is the existence of water all over the place. It's indirect evidence, or at least "supports the notion".

    You claimed "a profound lack of any kind of evidence that supports that notion." That's a false statement, as it ignores indirect evidence pointing toward the near certainty of alien life of some kind.
    Water is essential to life but you are asserting that where there is water there must be life.
    That is not science ... that is wishful thinking.

  3. #23
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Water is essential to life but you are asserting that where there is water there must be life.
    That is not science ... that is wishful thinking.
    I'm not asserting any such thing. That's a ridiculous idea, I've no idea where you got it.

    I'm asserting that logic, reason and knowledge about the universe is all evidence of the existence of life outside earth.

    Planets like ours... water everywhere...

    These are indirect evidence, indicators, that life can exist outside the earth. The number of opportunities makes that existence almost certain.

    You cannot ignore indirect evidence, logic and reason and claim there is "no evidence of any sort that supports such a notion".

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It would be against logic and reason to presume you found the only existing grain of gold. Nothing else is unique. Why would the grain of gold, or earth life, be.

    You might not find another, and presuming to find one is without support, but assuming no others exist is just dumb.
    Until a second is found the possibility of it's uniqueness can not be ruled out.
    Ruling out the possibility of uniqueness without a contrary finding is at least as dumb.

  5. #25
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Until a second is found the possibility of it's uniqueness can not be ruled out.
    Can the likelihood of such be established? Of course it can! Is anything else unique? No. So what kind of hare-brained crap leads one to believe they've found the only unique thing in existence?

    Ruling out the possibility of uniqueness without a contrary finding is at least as dumb.
    You have no evidence of the existence of anything unique. Yet you will presume it? That doesn't make any sense, especially in light of the extensive indirect evidence that life can exist outside the earth and there are literally billions of opportunities.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm not asserting any such thing. That's a ridiculous idea, I've no idea where you got it.

    I'm asserting that logic, reason and knowledge about the universe is all evidence of the existence of life outside earth.

    Planets like ours... water everywhere...

    These are indirect evidence, indicators, that life can exist outside the earth. The number of opportunities makes that existence almost certain.

    You cannot ignore indirect evidence, logic and reason and claim there is "no evidence of any sort that supports such a notion".
    What you site as "indirect evidence " is really an indicator of possibility...not hard evidence of life itself.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    You cannot ignore indirect evidence, logic and reason and claim there is "no evidence of any sort that supports such a notion".
    The notion is that there is life out there...not that it is possible.
    I do not refute the possibility of extraterrestrial life. I refute the certainty.
    Last edited by Buck Ewer; 05-23-14 at 02:31 AM.

  8. #28
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    What you site as "indirect evidence " is really an indicator of possibility...not hard evidence of life itself.
    It is a "sort of" evidence that "supports the notion".

  9. #29
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    The notion is that there is life out there...not that it is possible.
    And that notion is supported by everything we know about the universe, from the lack of anything unique to the existence of similar planets, to water, to the number of opportunities.

    All of that is "some sort" of evidence that "supports the notion".

  10. #30
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    I dont think alien life exists period.



    Take a look around this planet and think.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •