Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 102

Thread: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

  1. #11
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    I am a realist and as such I am an atheist. Along those same lines I am not a "believer "in extra terrestrial life largely due to a profound lack of any kind of evidence that supports that notion.

    Sorry but I do not buy into the super natural nor the extra natural.
    I'd consider the existence of billions of planets like ours to be some kind of evidence that there's a good probability. Throw in water being found all over the place and the chance of life not existing outside the earth becomes insignificant.

  2. #12
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    No what i meant was if they do find life out there they will use that as SEE the bible is false. There is a better chance of them faking a find.
    I don't see why the existence of alien life would disprove God or otherwise nullify metaphysical expression.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post
    And a great big sea dragon ate the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria....Oops maybe we were just a little wrong there.

    It has become apparent from science that where liquid water exist thereto almost asuredly exists life of some sort. In order to believe that there is no alien life you would have to believe that the hundreds of billions of stars in our own galaxy have no planets or moons to those planets without liquid water. Not only that but you would also have to believe that all the hundreds of billions stars in the hundreds of billions of known galaxies in the universe do not have planets or moons of those planets with liquid water.

    Common sense alone would dictate that their is alien life. Odds are that some of that life is intelligent. To believe otherwise defies basic common sense.

    Almost huh? almost.

    well its a big universe they will keep searching to no avail.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 11:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't see why the existence of alien life would disprove God or otherwise nullify metaphysical expression.
    I did not say it would disprove I said they would claim.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by smb View Post

    It has become apparent from science that where liquid water exist thereto almost asuredly exists life of some sort.
    The science you refer to is earth based science. Just about every where water exists on earth some form of life can be found ... predicating the theory that water is essential to life. However nothing indicates that water is an indicator of life outside of our planet.
    You have flipped and distorted the theory, now saying that life is essential to the presence of water.

  6. #16
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    I did not say it would disprove I said they would claim.
    What's the difference between alien life being discovered and the myriad of other errors in the Bible? I'm pretty sure anyone who wants to "disprove God" through errors in the Bible already has plenty of ammo and alien life doesn't change things.

  7. #17
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    No what i meant was if they do find life out there they will use that as SEE the bible is false. There is a better chance of them faking a find.
    Anyone without emotional dependency on their religion can tell that bible is false. The search for alien life has nothing to do with this. It's a search for the truths of universe. Religion has nothing to do with that.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'd consider the existence of billions of planets like ours to be some kind of evidence that there's a good probability. Throw in water being found all over the place and the chance of life not existing outside the earth becomes insignificant.
    Sorry ecofarm but that is distorted logic.
    With the evidence we now have, the probability is that life here is unique .
    If I find a grain of gold on a huge beach of billions of grains of sand I can not assert any probability that I will find another ... no matter how numerous the possibilities are. If I find another gold grain within say a nine square meter section I can assign a probability of finding a third on that beach. But with evidence of only one I can not, no matter how big the beach is.
    Many possibilities does not indicate any change in probabilities.

  9. #19
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's a search for the truths of universe. Religion has nothing to do with that.
    I disagree.

  10. #20
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Aliens Are Almost Definitely Out There, SETI Astronomers Tell Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Sorry ecofarm but that is distorted logic.
    With the evidence we now have, the probability is that life here is unique .
    If I find a grain of gold on a huge beach of billions of grains of sand I can not assert any probability that I will find another ... no matter how numerous the possibilities are. If I find another gold grain within say a nine square meter section I can assign a probability of finding a third on that beach. But with evidence of only one I can not, no matter how big the beach is.
    Many possibilities does not indicate any change in probabilities.
    The existence of a billion planets like ours is evidence of life outside the earth. As is the existence of water all over the place. It's indirect evidence, or at least "supports the notion".

    You claimed "a profound lack of any kind of evidence that supports that notion." That's a false statement, as it ignores indirect evidence pointing toward a near certainty of alien life of some kind.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •