Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    The Camelopardalids meteor shower this Friday is going to be one of those events that happens only once in hundreds of years. Hundreds of meteors will be raining down on Earth every hour.... Don't worry, we are in no danger. These are small chunks, which will burn up in the Earth's atmosphere, and will give us a spectacular show. The main body of the comet already passed us, and we will just be passing through the comet's tail. This show is brought to you by the planet Jupiter, which nudged the comet on a trajectory towards Earth. Enjoy the show.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,214

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Now to be up between 2 & 4 AM.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #3
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Now to be up between 2 & 4 AM.
    Can we record it?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #4
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    We are planning a party.....I just hope no big chunks (I mean really big) broke off this thing.

  5. #5
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    We are planning a party.....I just hope no big chunks (I mean really big) broke off this thing.
    Night of the Comet, one of my favorite 80s classics.

    Night of the Comet (1984) - IMDb


  6. #6
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    It is a very small comet, that was discovered via sattelite. This meteor shower isn't from it's recent pass by earth, but from an old one when the comet was, hopefully, much larger. The constellation from which the meteorites will stream from is a pretty hard to find one, dim and obscure, but thankfully, it is very near Polaris, so an easy find. I may go out to the desert to watch, and set up my scope (note, a telescope is worthless in a meteor shower), but if it is a good dark sky, there are plenty of other things to look at and maybe photograph.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  7. #7
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,214

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Night of the Comet, one of my favorite 80s classics.

    Night of the Comet (1984) - IMDb

    Similar scenario. Good flick.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #8
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    It is a very small comet, that was discovered via sattelite. This meteor shower isn't from it's recent pass by earth, but from an old one when the comet was, hopefully, much larger. The constellation from which the meteorites will stream from is a pretty hard to find one, dim and obscure, but thankfully, it is very near Polaris, so an easy find. I may go out to the desert to watch, and set up my scope (note, a telescope is worthless in a meteor shower), but if it is a good dark sky, there are plenty of other things to look at and maybe photograph.
    The show will be from when the comet passed by earth in the 1800s. Someone please splain?

  9. #9
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    The show will be from when the comet passed by earth in the 1800s. Someone please splain?
    Easy. When comets near the sun, they shed particles, mostly ice, but some dust. Each time a comet crosses the plane of the earth, it may be from any direction as they head towards the sun. As they pass that plane, they leave the particles behind, which then orbit the earth. And when the earth enters near where these particles are, they are drawn in by the earth's gravity. Most meteors in a meteor shower are very tiny, grain of rice size, but because they are going so fast and burn up, we can see them. If they are bigger, you can see an ionized gas trail behind them. In fact, ham radio operators can communicate by bouncing a signal off these gas trails.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #10
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: New meteor shower could turn into a meteor storm

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Easy. When comets near the sun, they shed particles, mostly ice, but some dust. Each time a comet crosses the plane of the earth, it may be from any direction as they head towards the sun. As they pass that plane, they leave the particles behind, which then orbit the earth. And when the earth enters near where these particles are, they are drawn in by the earth's gravity. Most meteors in a meteor shower are very tiny, grain of rice size, but because they are going so fast and burn up, we can see them. If they are bigger, you can see an ionized gas trail behind them. In fact, ham radio operators can communicate by bouncing a signal off these gas trails.
    Good explanation. Thanks Captain!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •