Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

  1. #31
    User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-19-14 @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    65

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment - Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

    In my opinion one of the most important bills to reach the Senate floor. Its clear that we are becoming more and more an oligarchy (if we arent already there) and that money is buying our elections and our representatives. Unfortunately this is not likely to pass [/FONT][/COLOR]

    Harry Reid talks out of both sides of his mouth on this issue.
    He's been blasting the Koch brothers and took their money along with other Democrats,
    while being in bed with the Steyer Brothers, Tom and Jim Steyer.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    they are throwing money toward the ignorant easily manipulative voter.
    Yeah, you would probably be surprised at how many people make up their mind whom they will vote for on a slogan, talking point or something like that. My wife votes for the man who looks the most presidential. But I think in the end, most of the money is spent on trying to get the voter to hate the other more than they hate you. When was the last time you seen a campaign ad spell out a candidate's vision for the future? Almost all of them are of the "My opponent is a dirty rotten rat," He did such and such 50 years ago and that makes him unfit for the job as your elected leader. It is all about throwing as much mud at your opponent as you can and hope some of it sticks.

    No one talks issues, ideas, solutions and visions anymore, just muck raking. For this they spend a billion dollars. What a waste. But it works or they wouldn't do it.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #33
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,357

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yeah, you would probably be surprised at how many people make up their mind whom they will vote for on a slogan, talking point or something like that. My wife votes for the man who looks the most presidential. But I think in the end, most of the money is spent on trying to get the voter to hate the other more than they hate you. When was the last time you seen a campaign ad spell out a candidate's vision for the future? Almost all of them are of the "My opponent is a dirty rotten rat," He did such and such 50 years ago and that makes him unfit for the job as your elected leader. It is all about throwing as much mud at your opponent as you can and hope some of it sticks.

    No one talks issues, ideas, solutions and visions anymore, just muck raking. For this they spend a billion dollars. What a waste. But it works or they wouldn't do it.
    : At least your wife has a reason why she votes the way she does, and it has little to do with disliking them less than the other guy, which is all muckraking does - make the other guy unappealing. Maybe I should try that approach ...vote for the one that looks the most presidential! It worked for Ike and a few others! On the other hand, there are some others that I wouldn't have voted for as our local dogcatcher in a million years!

    Greetings, Pero.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    : At least your wife has a reason why she votes the way she does, and it has little to do with disliking them less than the other guy, which is all muckraking does - make the other guy unappealing. Maybe I should try that approach ...vote for the one that looks the most presidential! It worked for Ike and a few others! On the other hand, there are some others that I wouldn't have voted for as our local dogcatcher in a million years!

    Greetings, Pero.
    Then who do you vote for if neither look presidential? Of course which of the two candidates look more presidential is all in one's mind anyway. who is to say what a president should look like? Actually Ike and Stevenson looked pretty much the same, I went with the General. JFK in my opinion looked more presidential than Nixon, but I backed Nixon in 1960, although I was still too young to vote. So who knows?
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Yes. And to restrict their speech would be no different then demanding a poor person not publish a $20 web site.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    That didnt answer my question. If money is considered speech and spending money is considered speech. Do the rich have more free speech because they have more money?

  6. #36
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Yes. And to restrict their speech would be no different then demanding a poor person not publish a $20 web site.
    So infact our rights under the Constitution apply to more than others... Hmmmm


  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Just ask DiFi's hubby how our right$ have been extended to him, by her


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So infact our rights under the Constitution apply to more than others... Hmmmm

  8. #38
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Just ask DiFi's hubby how our right$ have been extended to him, by her
    So you are in favor of money purchasing constitutional rights. Sounds like an oligarchy.


  9. #39
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,357

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Then who do you vote for if neither look presidential? Of course which of the two candidates look more presidential is all in one's mind anyway. who is to say what a president should look like? Actually Ike and Stevenson looked pretty much the same, I went with the General. JFK in my opinion looked more presidential than Nixon, but I backed Nixon in 1960, although I was still too young to vote. So who knows?
    Personally, I would look at body language, since that can't be faked for long - if "presidential looking" is the [B]only [B] criteria. Who seems more self assured and still relaxed, and who looks like they can work with other people and not get flustered and angry - because the famous 0300 phone call could arrive on their watch. I admit this is not foolproof, but it beats listening to what they say in a debate, because they usually have been coached on the possible questions they may be asked.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Harry Reid backs campaign spending amendment

    I favor no restrictions and instant reporting.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So you are in favor of money purchasing constitutional rights. Sounds like an oligarchy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •