Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 327

Thread: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

  1. #201
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Never seen one here. And I believe it was company policy when i worked there like 6-7 years ago. But hey maybe policy changed.
    But speaking of Subway, the CEO of Subway is in favor of minimum wage hike.
    And soon Subway workers can be replaced with a machine.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #202
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And soon Subway workers can be replaced with a machine.
    Hope not. Then the revolt will commence.


  3. #203
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Hope not. Then the revolt will commence.
    Why? It's 2014, humans shouldn't be making the sandwiches anyway. There's engineering, science, math, music, philosophy, and art to do. Why should we get bogged down in archaic and inefficient jobs. Pay some engineers, get the machine. As we advance and become a more complicated society and a more advanced society, we'll need humans doing more and more bigger things. The lesser things will have to be taken up by machines.

    It's progress.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #204
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yea... Estimates say it will raise the cost by .69... Really "expensive"
    Hell some economists say nothing will happen to price because prices are not set by the cost of production of something but instead by the supply and demand for that item.
    Sources? They better be authoritative, like non-government non-university.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #205
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sources? They better be authoritative, like non-government non-university.
    Universities arent "authoritative"? Well I guess that throws just about every study out the window since you know, scholars do scholarly work... But anyways here is a report: Price of Big Mac Could Rise by 68 Cents If Minimum Wage Doubles - ABC News

    Here is the no change argument: The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing - Forbes


  6. #206
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Universities arent "authoritative"? Well I guess that throws just about every study out the window since you know, scholars do scholarly work... But anyways here is a report: Price of Big Mac Could Rise by 68 Cents If Minimum Wage Doubles - ABC News

    Here is the no change argument: The Real Change In The Cost Of A Big Mac If McDonald's Workers Were Paid $15 An Hour: Nothing - Forbes

    You can't pay people twice as much and not affect anything.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #207
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You can't pay people twice as much and not affect anything.
    A report begs to differ. And another report only says it will raise the prices of a Big Mac by .69 cents.


  8. #208
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    A report begs to differ. And another report only says it will raise the prices of a Big Mac by .69 cents.
    If a Big Mac goes up in price by 68 cents, that better be a good goddamned Big Mac, because right now the thing isn't worth 68 cents total, and the labor to make the thing is worth less than that.

  9. #209
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And soon Subway workers can be replaced with a machine.
    Machines don't do customer service.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  10. #210
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Fast-food workers kick off global labor action

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    If a Big Mac goes up in price by 68 cents, that better be a good goddamned Big Mac, because right now the thing isn't worth 68 cents total, and the labor to make the thing is worth less than that.
    No no no. POINT SIX NINE cents. As in, less than a cent.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •