Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 298

Thread: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    After reading this quote from her, it's obvious what is going on here.
    “I was told that the way I dressed and moved my body was causing men to think inappropriately about me, implying that it is my responsibility to control other people’s thoughts and drives,” Clare writes in her blog post. “I’m not responsible for some perverted 45 year old dad lusting after me because I have a sparkly dress on and a big ass for a teenager. And if you think I am, then maybe you’re part of the problem.”
    This self absorbed little girl needs to get over herself. As to the various "sources" who made it news to pimp their agenda, I say shame on you.Obviously, there is far more to the story, but that would kill the meme they are trying to spread.
    `
    You really need to get over yourself. This is a 17 year old girl. If she voiced her opinion in a manner that enrages you, you can thank the Christian home schooling she got. It's the same story here, ridged "confirmation bias" and "epistemic closure."

  2. #252
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And yeah, people all over the political spectrum often impose their viewpoints on others. It's a part of human nature, and as long as it's not taken too far, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, in many situations social pressure to conform to community norms can be a good thing and at a minimum, learning how to get along (or at least go along) with people who are different than you are is a worthy skill for a young person to cultivate. In this case, even if the girls story is 100% accurate, I don't think there are any grounds for a lawsuit. It would merely be a lesson learned for this girl. Even if her story isn't accurate, it's still a lesson for her.
    Very well said.

    I think Christ's admonishment to avoid giving needless offense" regarding paying the Temple Tax may well have been illustrating that some deference to social norms and the feelings of others is needed for a stable society. Routinely giving needless offense can lead to tit for tat retaliation and thus exacerbate social divisions that exist in all societies.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 05-16-14 at 11:43 AM.

  3. #253
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    You really need to get over yourself. This is a 17 year old girl. If she voiced her opinion in a manner that enrages you, you can thank the Christian home schooling she got. It's the same story here, ridged "confirmation bias" and "epistemic closure."
    BS. The ball is not in my court. Bashing Christians from what is perceived as some kind of high pedestal only proves how insignificant this child, and those who buy her story, really are.

    The child needs to get over herself, and the others who have tried to exploit her fantasy need to do the same. The only story is how desperate people are to pimp her self absorbed ego.

  4. #254
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    738

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And from the reports, which I admit are one-sided, the girl wasn't asked to leave because she broke any rules. It was because her behavior might cause the boys to have impure thoughts.
    In thinking (and re-reading), it seems possible the reason wasn't that it'd cause "impure thoughts," but maybe was for dancing/dress code and Claire added the impure thoughts (be it on purpose, or just why she thought it was, or a mix). Consider she brings up looking hot (but not trashy!) and later how she has a big butt. Also about being curvy, though I'd have to check again but I think that and the long legs were both in explaining how it can be hard to find a dress, though arguably the curvy may not need to be in there (is it really needed for the story?).

    How it is written, she makes it sound as though when they got there and saw the dads on the balcony, her first that was they were only there to ogle her/other girls.To me, and again that may not be what she was meaning it to come off as, she assumed she was hot and thus guys would be checking her out. So, lets say Mrs. D does later come and tell her she needs to tone down the dancing (be it if Claire is lying about just swaying, or telling the truth), it seemed possible that Claire could take that as she is turning the guys on ("causing impure thoughts," which by the way is great wording if you are trying to get your post to get reposted, since it sounds like religious phrasing).


    I'll admit I'm bias, in part because the story seems somewhat unbelievable and one-sided, in part because Claire's apparently first thoughts were "Rape culture!" "Patriarchy!", and in part because it just doesn't sound like the whole story/truth.


    Some more supposed witness accounts, sadly most (I've found) are either blogs or people commenting to an article/blog so it is hard to say they are who they say they are:
    A Girl Named Alexa: Victimization or Twisted Narrative?

    A Girl Named Alexa: Victimization or Twisted Narrative?

  5. #255
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotedelmar View Post
    In thinking (and re-reading), it seems possible the reason wasn't that it'd cause "impure thoughts," but maybe was for dancing/dress code and Claire added the impure thoughts (be it on purpose, or just why she thought it was, or a mix). Consider she brings up looking hot (but not trashy!) and later how she has a big butt. Also about being curvy, though I'd have to check again but I think that and the long legs were both in explaining how it can be hard to find a dress, though arguably the curvy may not need to be in there (is it really needed for the story?).

    How it is written, she makes it sound as though when they got there and saw the dads on the balcony, her first that was they were only there to ogle her/other girls.To me, and again that may not be what she was meaning it to come off as, she assumed she was hot and thus guys would be checking her out. So, lets say Mrs. D does later come and tell her she needs to tone down the dancing (be it if Claire is lying about just swaying, or telling the truth), it seemed possible that Claire could take that as she is turning the guys on ("causing impure thoughts," which by the way is great wording if you are trying to get your post to get reposted, since it sounds like religious phrasing).


    I'll admit I'm bias, in part because the story seems somewhat unbelievable and one-sided, in part because Claire's apparently first thoughts were "Rape culture!" "Patriarchy!", and in part because it just doesn't sound like the whole story/truth.


    Some more supposed witness accounts, sadly most (I've found) are either blogs or people commenting to an article/blog so it is hard to say they are who they say they are:
    A Girl Named Alexa: Victimization or Twisted Narrative?

    A Girl Named Alexa: Victimization or Twisted Narrative?
    It is possible that she has not accurately reported the events, either because her own viewpoint (and possibly vanity) prevents her from seeing them accurately, or even because she is outright lying. However, even if we take the least flattering portrait of her behavior, we have a girl who wore a dress that was within the rules, and who danced "inappropriately".

    Unless she was "twerking" (doubtful, given the cut of the dress) or grabbing her crotch and breasts, it doesn't seem like a big enough problem for expulsion from the prom.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #256
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It is possible that she has not accurately reported the events, either because her own viewpoint (and possibly vanity) prevents her from seeing them accurately, or even because she is outright lying. However, even if we take the least flattering portrait of her behavior, we have a girl who wore a dress that was within the rules, and who danced "inappropriately".

    Unless she was "twerking" (doubtful, given the cut of the dress) or grabbing her crotch and breasts, it doesn't seem like a big enough problem for expulsion from the prom.
    Was this in the slopes of Virgini, among the hillfolk? How many other blacks were present.

  7. #257
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Couple reasons why I don't really believe the girl
    First the odds that this would happen to someone who just happens to be sisters with someone who has a blog that is titled fu$k the patriarchy seems like pretty big coincidence.
    Second so the men where ogling her and talking about her. Then the men complained and asked to have her kicked out. If they were ogling her that means they were enjoying looking at her why exactly would they then have her kicked out so they can no longer look at her. It just doesn't really make sense. People generally do not want to stop doing something they are enjoying.

  8. #258
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Another teenager who attended the prom (linked by coyotedelmar pages back), a Callie Hobbs/Hobbes, stated that it was when the first teen showed extreme disrespect to the adults that she was asked to leave. The first teen did post in her sister's blog that as she left, she flipped those adults off, so it's not difficult to believe what the second teen says about the disrespect.

  9. #259
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotedelmar View Post
    the story seems somewhat unbelievable and one-sided, in part because Claire's apparently first thoughts were "Rape culture!" "Patriarchy!", and in part because it just doesn't sound like the whole story/truth.
    That was my first impression as well. It doesn't sound like what actual conservative men would say or think, it sounds like what someone attempting to create a crude stereotype strawman of them for a hook (or because they were embarrassed and angry and wanted to paint the mean old grown ups in the worst light possible) would say that they think.
    Last edited by cpwill; 05-16-14 at 06:30 PM.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Teen ejected from prom after dads experience ‘impure thoughts’

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotedelmar View Post
    <snip><unsnip>Some more supposed witness accounts, sadly most (I've found) are either blogs or people commenting to an article/blog so it is hard to say they are who they say they are:
    A Girl Named Alexa: Victimization or Twisted Narrative?A Girl Named Alexa: Victimization or Twisted Narrative?
    `

    1) A Girl Named Alexa is a blog/journal by a young lady who gives her opinions on things. Her age is unknown as is her education level. She doesn't indicate she is especially qualified at anything other than to say; "There is one aspect of my life that so defines me that without it, I would be completely empty and broken. That is God. He is my creator, my savior, and my lord. Without Him I would be nothing, and because of that I owe Him everything." While that is not a disqualifier, it does taint her opinion.

    The anonymous reply from "Jordan" appears more like a plant than an actual eyewitness account. Also, unfortunately, there still is no comment from the adults who planned this event, so it does suffer an imbalance.

    The greatest problem here is that fact that this was even reported on. Gawker - Today's gossip is tomorrow's news broke the story (which was never properly vetted) and the left wing news services gleefully picked up on it, not wanting to miss a chance to dig into the conservative and religious right. All things being equal, both sides do this.

    This is not really news per se but sensationalism. 17 year old Claire Ettinger posted this on her sisters blog more as a rant than a factual itinerary of events. Her's was an emotional diatribe for the purpose of venting. A blog such as this is not necessarily meant to attract attention outside her community. Millions of teens rant online about all sorts so what made this rant so special? The motive is quite clear, it gave the left another reason to point out the hypocrisy of the right. If you look at the words she uses, chuck full of hurt feelings, I don't see how anyone could mistake this for an objective news story. The blog is being taken out of context and in many ways, should never have been picked up by the left. It only cheapened them.

    Truth is a subjective concept, one that can be accepted or rejected according to a persons prejudices. Claire wrote her perception of the truth, albeit emotionally hyperbolic. To say she lied is inane because her intention on writing this was not meant to be a factual report. While I believe the incident took place, Claire's perceptions seem to be clouded with emotions and considering the event, I don't blame her. But taking her blog about this as some kind of absolute truism is foolish.


    `

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •