Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 138

Thread: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #1
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance

    Slippery slopes suck, huh? With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box.

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.

    Mason Michalec, a sophomore at Needville High School, claims he’s taken a pledge not to say the Pledge.

    “I’ve basically said it from the time I was in kindergarten to earlier this year and that’s when I decided I was done saying it,” he told KHOU.

    Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance « Hot Air
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,632

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slippery slopes suck, huh? With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box.

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.
    actually i back this kid. The school is in the wrong. if you would have read an article on this kid he is anything but what you say.
    he has a reason that he is protesting it and it has to do with the overreach of the government.

    Teen suspended after refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance | Fox News
    Last edited by ludin; 05-09-14 at 09:51 PM.

  3. #3
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    actually i back this kid. The school is in the wrong. if you would have read an article on this kid he is anything but what you say.
    he has a reason that he is protesting it and it has to do with the overreach of the government.
    My opinion of him is neither, here, nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,290
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    There shouldn't be a pledge anyway... It has a certain, fascistic tinge to it I would find uncomfortable.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,557

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    he has a reason that he is protesting it and it has to do with the overreach of the government.
    those are two totally unrelated things, of course thats why hes just a kid he doesn't know his poo hole from his goo hole.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,632

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    My opinion of him is neither, here, nor there.
    and i quote from you "IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America"
    doesn't sound like it is neither here nor there to me.

    from the kid himself
    "Needville High School sophomore Mason Michalec told KHOU.com he refused to stand for the Pledge because of his opposition to government spying.

    "I’m really tired of our government taking advantage of us,” Michalec said. "I don’t agree with the NSA spying on us. And I don’t agree with any of those Internet laws."

    "

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    and i quote from you "IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America"
    doesn't sound like it is neither here nor there to me.

    from the kid himself
    "Needville High School sophomore Mason Michalec told KHOU.com he refused to stand for the Pledge because of his opposition to government spying.

    "I’m really tired of our government taking advantage of us,” Michalec said. "I don’t agree with the NSA spying on us. And I don’t agree with any of those Internet laws."

    "
    As far as the topic is concerned, it's neither here, nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    I agree with the kid, but he should expand the scope of his protest to all violations of privacy the government is involved in, like for example, the TSA. Besides, requiring people take a pledge of allegiance to the state is hardly something we should be doing. In fact, the pledge of allegiance shouldn't even exist.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slippery slopes suck, huh? With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box. IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.
    More CONvoluted history??? When did 'the courts' decide schools could do 'whatever the hell they want'???

    The Supreme Court already ruled on this back in 1943, Texas was part of the USofA back then. Read 'West Virginia Board of Education v Barnette'. It specifically addresses the pledge and students. Was that ruling voided????

    The article says he loves the country and is mad about the NSA spying on everyone.... sounds like a Good American to me- PRO or CON. I salute him...

  10. #10
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Care to cite which court decision it was that said schools can do whatever the hell they want?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •