Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 138

Thread: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Well in practice they're not all that different.
    State-worship is the same everywhere.

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,635

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Well in practice they're not all that different.
    Yah wohl comrade! Alle zusammen.....

  3. #73
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    There is a big difference that I don't think you're thinking about but is very important, so important in fact that its demise (this frame of thought) is one of the main causes for the degradation of our society.

    I'm an adult, the kid is a kid.

    His opinion doesn't old the same weight as mine.

    Why?

    Because HE'S A KID!

    I think that you do a great injustice to the child by not having him say the pledge.

    What injustice is that?

    You're not teaching the kid one of life's most important lessons.

    Sometimes you've got to do things you don't want to, and some times that what life is, one vile friggin task after another.

    When he learns this lesson maybe his opinion will carry more weight, but until then....
    Or, phrased another way: Don't resist our attempts at indoctrination.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #74
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Benevolent nationalism in schools is a good thing, but leave it to a fool to make it meaningless by having it strictly enforced through punishment.

    Personally, I would abandon the pledge in the schools after elementary school.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #75
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slippery slopes suck, huh?
    With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box.

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.



    Exactly how patriotic and nationalistic is anyone who is forced to express patriotism and nationalism?

    I believe that any school that enforces bull**** like this isn't accomplishing a damned thing.

  6. #76
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slippery slopes suck, huh?
    With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box.

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.



    What really sucks is I seem to recall something in that pledge about 'liberty and justice for all'.

    Where's that kid's liberty and justice?

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Benevolent nationalism in schools is a good thing, but leave it to a fool to make it meaningless by having it strictly enforced through punishment.

    Personally, I would abandon the pledge in the schools after elementary school.
    I would abandon socialized schools altogether.

  8. #78
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    There shouldn't be a pledge anyway... It has a certain, fascistic tinge to it I would find uncomfortable.
    Yeah, I've never been big on making children recite loyalty oaths.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,607

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    There is a big difference that I don't think you're thinking about but is very important, so important in fact that its demise (this frame of thought) is one of the main causes for the degradation of our society.

    I'm an adult, the kid is a kid.

    His opinion doesn't old the same weight as mine.

    Why?

    Because HE'S A KID!

    I think that you do a great injustice to the child by not having him say the pledge.

    What injustice is that?

    You're not teaching the kid one of life's most important lessons.

    Sometimes you've got to do things you don't want to, and some times that what life is, one vile friggin task after another.

    When he learns this lesson maybe his opinion will carry more weight, but until then....
    Yes, that is a big difference.

    The kid, being a kid, needs to learn also that there are times when standing up to authority takes courage, but is the right thing to do.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #80
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas high school suspends student for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    All the same, to me America stands for freedom. It stands for everything Nazi Germany wasn't. While I appreciate the good intentions behind something like the pledge of allegiance, I'd rather not see our kids become drones of the state, absentmindedly pledging to a flag just because.

    I want American kids to think for themselves. To question their government, and to take ownership of the country they live in. Don't just pledge allegiance, that's not enough. Take ownership of this great country and understand that you will one day inherit it. Don't pledge allegiance, pledge to become a leader.

    Pledge to make this county better than you found it. Don't pledge to follow without using your brain. Pledge to shape this country in to something you would be proud to live in, something you would be proud to raise your own kids in.

    I don't want to raise a generation of followers. To me, that's what the pledge of allegiance represents.
    I want to raise a generation of forward thinking leaders who will take their inheritance and make something out of it.



    And a few people would like to see everyone fall in line and follow the leader over the cliff.

    Different strokes for different folks.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •