Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 138

Thread: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #51
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,055

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
    The thing about the majority of US flag shirts is that they are in fact a violation of flag code. But hey yeah, nobody cares about that either.
    Some of them are, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  2. #52
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,055

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No it didn't. Rulings only apply to very similar cases. In all likelihood, a challenge by this kid or his parents to this action will end up with the school losing because there is no legitimate "safety" concern involved with this kid not reciting the pledge. In fact, I'm pretty sure such cases have already been ruled on in the past.

    Students Not Required to Participate in the Pledge of Allegiance | ACLU of Oregon
    A presedence set in 2014 over-rules a court ruling from 1943.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #53
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,538

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    How many times must a pledge be given? Do you recite your wedding vows to your significant-other each morning?
    Not sure why you would ask me that. Was there a point?

  4. #54
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,538

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    To whomever and whatever they decide to have allegiance to. No one should be required to make a pledge to anything if they don't want to.
    I never said anyone should be required to pledge to anything. I asked the other poster who the future generations should have an allegiance to.

  5. #55
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    I wonder if this Texas school requires non-citizen students like foreign exchange students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance?
    Great question.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    To me, there's something unnerving about 30 people reciting a pre-scripted pledge at the same time facing a flag with their hand over their hearts. It's creepy.

    One can be a patriot without being a drone.
    I never liked saying the pledge when I was a kid, and still don't care for it now. It's not that I necessarily disagree with the intent. I dislike the drone-like rote mentality. To me, actions are more telling than public displays of adherence.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    So in Texas schools you get suspended for not saying the PoA to the American flag, while in California schools you get suspended for wearing a t-shirt of an American flag.

    Telling.
    Nice catch.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    43,640

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    The kid is standing up for liberty through civil disobedience. He is a true American patriot in the tradition of the founding fathers.

    Ever read Thoreau?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  7. #57
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    20,808

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slippery slopes suck, huh? With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box.

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.
    Spoiled? I wouldn't say it because they added "under god" to it.
    "In my opinion, if we’re going to fight the War on Terror, a good place to start would be our country’s haunted houses." - Norm MacDonald

  8. #58
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    05-22-18 @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,855

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A presedence set in 2014 over-rules a court ruling from 1943.
    Not when you are talking a judge (lower court) making a ruling on something completely different than what the SCOTUS ruled on and the thing in contention here, which are the same basic thing. You are trying to overreach so far with that other ruling that was made (which, for the record, I believe was wrong, and we'll have to see where it goes) that is not nearly the same thing as this, which matches almost exactly with an actual earlier ruling by the SCOTUS.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #59
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,589

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The kid is standing up for liberty through civil disobedience. He is a true American patriot in the tradition of the founding fathers.

    Ever read Thoreau?
    Plenty.

    I disagree with your assessment of his patriotism.

    But I also disagree with the suspension of children for not reciting nonsensical gibberish of "you must conform"-ities...

    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

    We're not a republic, there is no liberty and justice for all, we're divided as can be, and most of us are godless savages regardless of where we spend our Sunday mornings...

  10. #60
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 05:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slippery slopes suck, huh? With the court judgment that schools can do whatever the hell they want, in response to the freedom of expression of the students, they really opened Pandora's box.

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America...but...I certainly support his right to express himself and think it's totally ridiculous to suspend the kid, because he refuses to say The Pledge.
    I have a hard time believing this story. TEACHERS cannot suspend students or even recommend suspension. That's up to the principle to decide and enforce.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •