Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 138

Thread: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance

  1. #31
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Until it goes to the SC, it is what it is.
    And what it is a very narrow ruling that compares safety of students to wearing certain clothing. The ruling was wrong to begin with, but it would in no way apply to this case, where there is no question that his refusing to say the pledge of allegiance would not reasonably cause violence to him or anyone else.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A libbo? Did you actually read the article, or did you just look at the title of the article, and conclude that he was a liberal based on that alone? Because, if you had actually read the article, you would have read that the kid refuses to cite the pledge because he disagrees with the government spying on people! And who is doing the spying? The Obama administration, of course.

    Way to go with the partisan hackery. I give you an A+ on that.
    Care to address the actual topic, or insist on making this about me? A+ on the ignorance displayed by missing the point I was making.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And what it is a very narrow ruling that compares safety of students to wearing certain clothing. The ruling was wrong to begin with, but it would in no way apply to this case, where there is no question that his refusing to say the pledge of allegiance would not reasonably cause violence to him or anyone else.
    The ruling opened the door to all manner of abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #34
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post

    IMO, this kids sounds like a spoiled little **** ass, that will make a good, obedient Libbo one day. He probably hates America.
    Since you like launching into Libbos on this one, let me mention your view--"And to the Republic_ans for which it stands .
    Physics is Phun

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And that would be your right. However, the Hitler Youth swore and oath to Hitler, not to Germany.
    All the same, to me America stands for freedom. It stands for everything Nazi Germany wasn't. While I appreciate the good intentions behind something like the pledge of allegiance, I'd rather not see our kids become drones of the state, absentmindedly pledging to a flag just because.

    I want American kids to think for themselves. To question their government, and to take ownership of the country they live in. Don't just pledge allegiance, that's not enough. Take ownership of this great country and understand that you will one day inherit it. Don't pledge allegiance, pledge to become a leader.

    Pledge to make this county better than you found it. Don't pledge to follow without using your brain. Pledge to shape this country in to something you would be proud to live in, something you would be proud to raise your own kids in.

    I don't want to raise a generation of followers. To me, that's what the pledge of allegiance represents. I want to raise a generation of forward thinking leaders who will take their inheritance and make something out of it.

  6. #36
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    those are two totally unrelated things, of course thats why hes just a kid he doesn't know his poo hole from his goo hole.
    That may be true, but learning helps one distinguish poo from hole.


  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    `
    "In 1943, the Supreme Court — in the case of West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette — ruled that persons may not be compelled to stand and observe the pledge, writing, “If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.” - Texas school violates high court ruling by suspending teen who won’t stand for pledge
    `
    Kudo's to Mason Michalec

  8. #38
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    All the same, to me America stands for freedom. It stands for everything Nazi Germany wasn't. While I appreciate the good intentions behind something like the pledge of allegiance, I'd rather not see our kids become drones of the state, absentmindedly pledging to a flag just because.

    I want American kids to think for themselves. To question their government, and to take ownership of the country they live in. Don't just pledge allegiance, that's not enough. Take ownership of this great country and understand that you will one day inherit it. Don't pledge allegiance, pledge to become a leader.

    Pledge to make this county better than you found it. Don't pledge to follow without using your brain. Pledge to shape this country in to something you would be proud to live in, something you would be proud to raise your own kids in.

    I don't want to raise a generation of followers. To me, that's what the pledge of allegiance represents. I want to raise a generation of forward thinking leaders who will take their inheritance and make something out of it.
    So in your opinion, who should the future generations have an allegiance to? An allegiance means a "loyalty to a group, person, cause or the like". I agree that future generations should be forward thinking, but I also think that they should think about making their country better, which would result from a loyalty to the country, and a pledge to make it better.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Considering the pledge has to do with the country and not the govt, he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about
    You obviously don't know the legal history of the Pledge which is to flag and Republic, for which it stands.

    Our government is a Republic. I love my country, served my country, bled for my country and don't see someone not wishing to pledge allegiance to the flag as hating the nation I served.

    But it appears you don't know the history attached to the Pledge- our founders rejected such a pledge, they don't see a Pledge of ALLEGIANCE as compatible with a nation that is founded on the Right to dissent. The Pledge got it's momentum from a marketer (James Upton) wanting to sell flags and magazines to schools and students for the 400th anniversary of Columbus discovering the New World.

    It wasn't until WWII the Pledge was adopted- but also during that war the Supreme Court ruled public schools couldn't require students to say the Pledge- Justice Jackson wrote in the Opinion handed down- no official grand or petty may describe any force any citizen to confess by word or act their faith... the list was politics, nationalism and religion.

    The 11th Court of Appeals ruled you can't require students to stand for the Pledge.

    Pretty much a long line of Fine 'love their Country' Americans not seeing reciting the Pledge as the equiv to loving your country.

    Pretty much solid legal ground for not having to...

  10. #40
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Texas high school suspends student — for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegia

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    actually i back this kid. The school is in the wrong. if you would have read an article on this kid he is anything but what you say.
    he has a reason that he is protesting it and it has to do with the overreach of the government.

    Teen suspended after refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance | Fox News
    Actions speak louder than words, and the school's actions demonstrate that when they tell the children that americans are free, the school is lying.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •