Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 226

Thread: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists[W:130]

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The point is this supposed "brilliant stateswoman" hasn't really achieved very much, even lefties struggle to name her successes.
    She flew all over the world and then when she got home she bumped her head and couldn't explain what happened anywhere.

    That about sums it up.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Michelle Obama is just pathetic! #BringBackOurBalls :: SteynOnline
    Here was some more of her today Grant.....and over this incident.


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-par...n-address.html

  3. #73
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The point is this supposed "brilliant stateswoman" hasn't really achieved very much, even lefties struggle to name her successes.
    State Dept. Blacklisted Leaders, Not Boko Haram As A Group, So As Not To Empower The Terrorist Group. Reuters went on to report that the State and Treasury departments listed individuals on the terrorist list, rather than Boko Haram as a group, so as not to "elevate the group's profile":

    U.S. officials say the decision to list individual Boko Haram members, rather than apply the more sweeping "Foreign Terrorist Organization" label to the group as a whole as some U.S. lawmakers have demanded, reflected a desire not to elevate the group's profile.
    [...]
    In January, Lisa Monaco, the Justice Department's top national security official, sent a letter to the State Department arguing the Nigerian group met the criteria for a "foreign terrorist" listing because it either engaged in terrorism that threatens the United States or had a capability or intent to do so.
    But a group of academic experts on Africa sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last month urging her not to take the step, saying it could backfire by enhancing the group's reputation among potential recruits and other militants. [Reuters, 6/21/12]

    H/T MMfA


  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    State Dept. Blacklisted Leaders, Not Boko Haram As A Group, So As Not To Empower The Terrorist Group. Reuters went on to report that the State and Treasury departments listed individuals on the terrorist list, rather than Boko Haram as a group, so as not to "elevate the group's profile":

    U.S. officials say the decision to list individual Boko Haram members, rather than apply the more sweeping "Foreign Terrorist Organization" label to the group as a whole as some U.S. lawmakers have demanded, reflected a desire not to elevate the group's profile.
    [...]
    In January, Lisa Monaco, the Justice Department's top national security official, sent a letter to the State Department arguing the Nigerian group met the criteria for a "foreign terrorist" listing because it either engaged in terrorism that threatens the United States or had a capability or intent to do so.
    But a group of academic experts on Africa sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last month urging her not to take the step, saying it could backfire by enhancing the group's reputation among potential recruits and other militants. [Reuters, 6/21/12]

    H/T MMfA
    This is a silly cop-out. They are a terrorist group, and they have been growing, and killing Christians, and other muslims for years now.

    Sorry, it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck. Its a convenient but utterly inappropriate response. Hillary had to decide of she should stand up to terrorism-and she decided not to.

  5. #75
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    This is a silly cop-out. They are a terrorist group, and they have been growing, and killing Christians, and other muslims for years now.

    Sorry, it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck. Its a convenient but utterly inappropriate response. Hillary had to decide of she should stand up to terrorism-and she decided not to.
    "But a group of academic experts on Africa sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last month urging her not to take the step, saying it could backfire by enhancing the group's reputation among potential recruits and other militants"


  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "But a group of academic experts on Africa sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last month urging her not to take the step, saying it could backfire by enhancing the group's reputation among potential recruits and other militants"
    But the following month The General Carter of AFRICOM spoke on the matter.

    In May 2012, then-Justice Department official Lisa Monaco (now at the White House) wrote to the State Department to urge Clinton to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist organization. The following month, Gen. Carter Ham, the chief of U.S. Africa Command, said that Boko Haram “are likely sharing funds, training, and explosive materials” with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. And yet, Hillary Clinton’s State Department still declined to place Boko Haram on its official terrorist roster.

    Risch and seven other GOP senators introduced legislation in early 2013 that would have forced Clinton to designate the group or explain why she thought it was a bad idea. The State Department lobbied against the legislation at the time, according to internal State Department emails obtained by The Daily Beast.....snip~

    Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists - The Daily Beast

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "But a group of academic experts on Africa sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last month urging her not to take the step, saying it could backfire by enhancing the group's reputation among potential recruits and other militants"
    That possibility exists elsewhere as well. Nothing she did stopped either the growth of Boko, nor a decrease in hostilities. Whos in charge here, Hillary or a gruop of "academic experts"?

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    That possibility exists elsewhere as well. Nothing she did stopped either the growth of Boko, nor a decrease in hostilities. Whos in charge here, Hillary or a gruop of "academic experts"?
    Heya USC. Perhaps this buddy of hers was doing all that influencing around her.


    Inside the Clinton State Department, the most vocal official opposing designating Boko Haram was Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Johnnie Carson, who served in that position from 2009 to 2013. Several officials said that the Nigerian government was opposed to the designation and Carson was focused on preserving the relationship between Washington and Abuja.....snip~

    Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists - The Daily Beast

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya USC. Perhaps this buddy of hers was doing all that influencing around her.


    Inside the Clinton State Department, the most vocal official opposing designating Boko Haram was Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Johnnie Carson, who served in that position from 2009 to 2013. Several officials said that the Nigerian government was opposed to the designation and Carson was focused on preserving the relationship between Washington and Abuja.....snip~

    Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists - The Daily Beast
    Ah, so it looks like Hillary was playing politics over terrorism yet again.

  10. #80
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    But the following month The General Carter of AFRICOM spoke on the matter.

    In May 2012, then-Justice Department official Lisa Monaco (now at the White House) wrote to the State Department to urge Clinton to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist organization. The following month, Gen. Carter Ham, the chief of U.S. Africa Command, said that Boko Haram “are likely sharing funds, training, and explosive materials” with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb. And yet, Hillary Clinton’s State Department still declined to place Boko Haram on its official terrorist roster.

    Risch and seven other GOP senators introduced legislation in early 2013 that would have forced Clinton to designate the group or explain why she thought it was a bad idea. The State Department lobbied against the legislation at the time, according to internal State Department emails obtained by The Daily Beast.....snip~

    Hillary's State Department Refused to Brand Boko Haram as Terrorists - The Daily Beast
    That hit piecet relies on anonymous sources I am told.
    How A Daily Beast Article Became A Clinton Smear | Blog | Media Matters for America


Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •