Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
Results 281 to 284 of 284

Thread: Michael Jordan: I was against all white people

  1. #281
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: Michael Jordan: I was against all white people

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    When I was kid it wasn't "Eeny, meeny, miney,mo, catch a tigger by the toe..."
    Who would want to catch Tigger by his toe? That guy is weird.

  2. #282
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Michael Jordan: I was against all white people

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Why is this not big news in light of the recent Donald Sterling scandal? Paula Deen lost her career simply for saying that she used the 'N' word a long time ago. Why no backlash on Michael Jordan?

    Michael Jordan's upbringing detailed in new book - ESPN
    It is socially acceptable for black people to dislike white people in the "White Guilt" society we live in.

  3. #283
    Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,066

    Re: Michael Jordan: I was against all white people

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    It is socially acceptable for black people to dislike white people in the "White Guilt" society we live in.
    No it isn't

  4. #284
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Michael Jordan: I was against all white people

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You still haven't said why you think it's okay for a 15 year old black kid to say he's against the white race, but you don't think it's okay for a 15 year old white kid to say he's against the black race. Because of that, I'll chalk it up to giving blacks a pass on racism. That's all I needed to know.
    Well, if you want to ignorantly believe something more power to you. What's funny is you're ignorantly believing something based on a strawman, not something I actually said...so, congrats on being annoyed at your own strawman that you for some stupid reason have labeled "Zyphlin".

    Let's just highlight all the ways you've strawmanned and distorted what I've said, and why your argument is idiotic.

    First, to the notion that I think I've suggested it's "Okay" in any way shape or form. This is unquestionably untrue. I've never once suggested, to any degree, that it's okay. My argument was whether or not it was reasonable that Michael Jordan's statement was worthy of the same kind of scorn, outrage, and media attention that Deen and Silver got. You know, the actual argument made in the OP.

    You can see that was my focus in my first response to you:

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin
    So yeah...it's not ridiculous to suggest that a single notion from Michael Jordan almost 40 years ago when he was not an adult being highlighted in a book is not going to get the same attention as someone caught making a racial statement this month who has a RECENT history of racially questionable actions, or a woman who was in the midst of a lawsuit regarding racial prejudice whose business partner was at the time being accused of using the word (and her excusing it to a degree) at their business establishment.
    Notice, the focus is on the level of attention...not the level of right or wrong. Something a person did in their childhood isn't likely to get the same attention as something somone did as an adult, because society places a different level of maturity and responsability on children than the ydo adults. Something that happened nearly 40 years ago isn't likely to get the same attention as something that happened yesterday, becuase the more immediete something is the more relevant it typically is.

    Next, let's address you're ridiculous notion that somehow I'm suggesting that a 15 year old saying something racist is "okay". Again, this is something I've not suggested at all. Notice in reference to Jordan's statement I stated:

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin
    I find it disheartening
    And I also noted that:

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If some famous 15 year old in the public eye came out TODAY and said he was "against all whites" then yeah...I'd say that would deserve attention and similar public concern (but probably a different reaction, as it is still the difference between a kid and a well into their life adult) as the Sterling or Deen situations.
    Note how I specifically state the very opposite of what you're claiming I'm saying. That a 15 year old saying something racist would be troubling and something worthy of scorn. The only thing I suggested was that I would probably suggeset a different type of response for a kid then I would an adult.

    I don't think it's "okay" for a 15 year old to say he's against the white race. That's definitely not a good or "okay" thing.

    I do think I'd treat a 15 year old saying he's against ANY race differently than I'd treat a 35 year old saying he's against ANY race. Just like I'd generally treat a 15 year old that punched someone out of anger differently than I'd treat a 35 year old that punched someone out of anger. Just like I'd generally treat a 15 year old I'm asking to watch my house while I'm out of town differnetly than I'd treat a 35 year old that I've asked to do such.

    A 15 year old is still underage. Is still in their formative years. Is still both finding themselves and coming to understand the world. Their views are more malleable and able to change. The expectations placed upon them by societ in terms of maturity and responsability are lower. The experiences they've had in life are significantly smaller on average than those of someone like a 30 year old.

    Perhaps if I say it for a THIRD time you'll finally actually understand it and stop beating up the pathetic looking strawman you created, but I'm not hopeful.

    Suggesting that the Michael Jordan situation doesn't warrant a similar level of attention or scorn as the Sterling or Deen situations is not, in any way shape or form, suggesting that the opinions expressed by Jordan at that time were "okay".

    It's suggesting that something said while being a teenager, that's almost 40 years old, is not worthy of the same level of scorn and attention TODAY (or well, "in the present" of when those two people were in the news) as something that was occuring in the present.

    Sterling's accused racism came into the news because he said something controversial during that same time frame.

    Deen's accused racism came into the news because she was being sued for racial discrimination during that same time frame.

    Michael Jordan's accused racism came into the news because a book talked about something he said nearly 40 years ago.

    The first two had situations occuring in the relative present that caused the outrage and scorn. Michael Jordan's situation occured nearly 40 years ago. It's completely understandable and reasonable for it not to cause the same type of outrage.

    You can't directly compare it to a 15 year old TODAY saying something similar, and the level of outrage or concern that should happen about that, becuase it completely removes one of the two key factors of the argument...namely, the extreme past nature of it.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •