Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 680

Thread: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

  1. #451
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,957

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    That was a good list for starters. Another name that comes to mind is Susan McDougal, the Arkansas woman who spent 18 months in jail for refusing to answer questions from special prosecutor Ken Starr, and then received a presidential pardon from Clinton. It is amazing to read the comments from the women who lean left coming to Hillary's defense making excuses for her while demanding Lewinsky be tarred and feathered for her part. Seriously what feminist would put up with Bill's affairs? A hypocritical one?
    Where exactly is the demands that Monica be "tarred and feathered" for anything? I'd like to see this, especially in this thread.

    Saying that she isn't an innocent or naive victim that some are trying to paint her as, and pointing out facts is not the same thing as calling for her to be punished in any way, shape, or form. Nor is calling out the fact that she is bringing a good bit of any current negative publicity on herself. Most of us didn't know anything about Hillary's friend (and comments that were made years, more than a decade in fact, ago) or even the press bringing up Lewinsky, so had she not spoken out here, then it is likely that such things would have died down (as they likely already have) much sooner than they ever will now.

    Now, I will say that Beyonce's lyrics are wrong, but it happens. (I've never even heard it but then again I don't frequently listen to Beyonce.)

    No one who was old enough to have realized who was President for most of the 90s is going to forget the scandal. But the way to get over it is not to bring it up, even if others are doing so. This isn't fixing anything, despite what she may think. People are not going to change their opinion about her with this "essay", and especially not with a book (if there really is one). It is just going to bring it back up to those who knew but didn't care, or cause those who had very little knowledge about it to actually check it out.

    Most of the comments "for" her are just as politically motivated as most of those "against" her or "for" Clinton. The proof of this is found in just looking at some of the very first comments made by news personalities and political pundits when this came out, and tying it to Hillary Clinton's potential candidacy in 2016.

    And why
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #452
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,889

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Where exactly is the demands that Monica be "tarred and feathered" for anything? I'd like to see this, especially in this thread.

    Saying that she isn't an innocent or naive victim that some are trying to paint her as, and pointing out facts is not the same thing as calling for her to be punished in any way, shape, or form. Nor is calling out the fact that she is bringing a good bit of any current negative publicity on herself. Most of us didn't know anything about Hillary's friend (and comments that were made years, more than a decade in fact, ago) or even the press bringing up Lewinsky, so had she not spoken out here, then it is likely that such things would have died down (as they likely already have) much sooner than they ever will now.

    Now, I will say that Beyonce's lyrics are wrong, but it happens. (I've never even heard it but then again I don't frequently listen to Beyonce.)

    No one who was old enough to have realized who was President for most of the 90s is going to forget the scandal. But the way to get over it is not to bring it up, even if others are doing so. This isn't fixing anything, despite what she may think. People are not going to change their opinion about her with this "essay", and especially not with a book (if there really is one). It is just going to bring it back up to those who knew but didn't care, or cause those who had very little knowledge about it to actually check it out.

    Most of the comments "for" her are just as politically motivated as most of those "against" her or "for" Clinton. The proof of this is found in just looking at some of the very first comments made by news personalities and political pundits when this came out, and tying it to Hillary Clinton's potential candidacy in 2016.

    And why
    What you fail to recognize and clearly shows your bias is that the article that Lewinsky wrote was to counter all the crap being brought up by others with her name attached to it. She stayed silent for 10 years but every election cycle where there is a Clinton involved her name gets dragged through the coals. And you want her to just shut up and go away and not speak out on her behalf. I find that troubling.

  3. #453
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,957

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Good Lord, just those statements ALONE show that she was a naive young woman and she WAS at the age of 22 years old. Not much more than a child really. Sorry, he is way more to blame than she is.
    I was in the Navy, on an aircraft carrier with enough education to give me a degree in nuclear power, had seen at least 4 countries, had sex with a few (single) guys (been propositioned by at least one married guy), and had plenty of guys who hated me simply because they thought that most women in the Navy were doing pretty much the same thing she was caught doing, sleeping with the boss, all by 22 years old. And there were some women, my age and even younger, who would sleep with chiefs and officers for better jobs or to get out of trouble. Most of us worked our asses off to get the positions we held and earn the respect we got, but I have seen a few women who actually did (try to at least) sleep their way up. And those women ticked off any woman who actually was earning everything we got because not only was it not fair what they were doing, but it also ended up requiring us to work so much harder to earn that respect.

    There isn't more blame being put on her than him, not for the affair itself. I say the blame is equally shared between them for that. He could have just as easily have said "no" to her advances, even being a sex fiend that he seems to be. But that doesn't mean that she was naive or innocent. I don't think for one second that she was "in love" with the President. She herself has said it was lust.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 05-09-14 at 01:04 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #454
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,299

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Good Lord, just those statements ALONE show that she was a naive young woman and she WAS at the age of 22 years old. Not much more than a child really. Sorry, he is way more to blame than she is.
    She knew exactly what she was doing. Her relationship was consensual. And she said precisely that at the age of 40. So you are calling her a liar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I was in the Navy, on an aircraft carrier with enough education to give me a degree in nuclear power, had seen at least 4 countries, had sex with a few (single) guys (been propositioned by at least one married guy), and had plenty of guys who hated me simply because they thought that most women in the Navy were doing pretty much the same thing she was caught doing, sleeping with the boss. And there were some women, my age and even younger, who would sleep with chiefs and officers for better jobs or to get out of trouble. Most of us worked our asses off to get the positions we held and earn the respect we got, but I have seen a few women who actually did (try to at least) sleep their way up. And those women ticked off any woman who actually was earning everything we got because not only was it not fair what they were doing, but it also ended up requiring us to work so much harder to earn that respect.

    There isn't more blame being put on her than him, not for the affair itself. I say the blame is equally shared between them for that. He could have just as easily have said "no" to her advances, even being a sex fiend that he seems to be. But that doesn't mean that she was naive or innocent. I don't think for one second that she was "in love" with the President. She herself has said it was lust.
    I'm sorry. I am certainly NOT buying that Monica took advantage of President Romeo. Utterly ridiculous, considering some of her taped conversations with Ms. Linda Tripp.

  6. #456
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,957

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    What you fail to recognize and clearly shows your bias is that the article that Lewinsky wrote was to counter all the crap being brought up by others with her name attached to it. She stayed silent for 10 years but every election cycle where there is a Clinton involved her name gets dragged through the coals. And you want her to just shut up and go away and not speak out on her behalf. I find that troubling.
    If she really wants to remain out of the press as much as possible, to actually stand a chance of living an at least seminormal life, then responding as she is is not the right way to do it. She is just bringing more negative attention to herself. For every bit of sympathy or even pity that she may gain from this, she will gain much more notoriety and infamy. This doesn't do her any good with her claimed goal.

    If I were her, I would just write my book and make that money off of it. Sometimes we make choices in our lives that do stay with us for the rest of that time. It may not be fair, but this was absolutely as much her fault as the Clintons. Now, I would say that the press and the public share more blame for her infamy because, in general, sex sells. But that is the way the world works and bringing it up "to clarify" is not going to help.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #457
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,957

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm sorry. I am certainly NOT buying that Monica took advantage of President Romeo. Utterly ridiculous, considering some of her taped conversations with Ms. Linda Tripp.
    Who said she "took advantage" of him? She had her agenda, and he had his. He wanted sex (or at least sexual gratification) and she wanted the relationship with the President. She has said she knew it was lust not love. That indicates that she didn't want any longterm commitment from him.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Who said she "took advantage" of him? She had his agenda, and he had his. He wanted sex (or at least sexual gratification) and she wanted the relationship with the President. She has said she knew it was lust not love. That indicates that she didn't want any longterm commitment from him.
    Lol! This only proves her immature mind set. She was immature, not much more than a kid. That's a fact. He was a 50-something year old man with PLENTY of experience wooing much older and experienced women than Monica. Give us a break with your excuse making for the ex-president's sexual predatory ways!!! Monica is NOT the only one to make such allegations against him!

  9. #459
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,889

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If she really wants to remain out of the press as much as possible, to actually stand a chance of living an at least seminormal life, then responding as she is is not the right way to do it. She is just bringing more negative attention to herself. For every bit of sympathy or even pity that she may gain from this, she will gain much more notoriety and infamy. This doesn't do her any good with her claimed goal.

    If I were her, I would just write my book and make that money off of it. Sometimes we make choices in our lives that do stay with us for the rest of that time. It may not be fair, but this was absolutely as much her fault as the Clintons. Now, I would say that the press and the public share more blame for her infamy because, in general, sex sells. But that is the way the world works and bringing it up "to clarify" is not going to help.
    Like I stated earlier she went the silent route for 10 years, heck there were some speculating that the Clinton's paid her off not to talk, but the crap never stopped and in some ways allowed revisions in what really happened making Lewinsky their scapegoat. By her responding to their comments it puts them on notice and held accountable for what comes out of their mouths or their handlers in the press.

  10. #460
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,957

    Re: Monica Lewinsky Breaks her Silence

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Lol! This only proves her immature mind set. She was immature, not much more than a kid. That's a fact. He was a 50-something year old man with PLENTY of experience wooing much older and experienced women than Monica. Give us a break with your excuse making for the ex-president's sexual predatory ways!!! Monica is NOT the only one to make such allegations against him!
    No, it doesn't. How does her wanting an affair with the President prove she is immature? Especially if she really did have plans to sell the story in the future? That seems like a pretty good plan had Starr not been investigating the President for Paula Jones and had she not (and this was pretty immature of her) blabbed to her friend Tripp.

    This isn't a sexual predator. He's an idiot who really likes sex. There is a difference. This was completely consensual. And she was an adult (several years in) and was not naive at all to having affairs. Prey doesn't willingly come to the predator. Lewinsky was just as much a "predator" in this as you are claiming Clinton was. She was looking for the payoff, whether it be future monetary or publicity gains or just that relationship with a man in power.

    It is ridiculous to keep using her age to try to paint her as naive or vulnerable. She was plenty old enough to consent and more than old enough to see the advantages of having sex with the POTUS.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •