Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 171

Thread: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=361619
    ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) -- Becky Domokos-Bays of Alexandria City Public Schools has served her students whole-grain pasta 20 times. Each time, she said, they rejected it.



    "The regulations are so prescriptive, so it's difficult to manage not only the nutrition side of your businesses but the business side of your business," Domokos-Bays said.

    Central planning fails. Forced editcs that disregard reality fail.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,477

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Oh well... I guess it's sack lunch time.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    See I don't understand why you've done this AGAIN.

    There are two glaring problems with your views on this subject.

    1) this idea that kids were "forced" to eat anything... No. The schools offered healthier meals, kids could bring their own, nobody had to eat anything they didn't want.

    2) you seem to take such pleasure in the fact that kids are choosing to stick their noses up at healthier options, like this is some kind of victory for freedom... The ironic thing here is that you are so against the supposed "entitlement mentality" but yet what entitles kids to unhealthy food?

    Ultimately whatever subject you can attempt to shove in the right wing narrative of a "far reaching and tyrannical federal government" you will try, no matter how desperate or idiotic it might be... But I warn you that nobody will take you seriously if you continually cry wolf.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    See I don't understand why you've done this AGAIN.

    There are two glaring problems with your views on this subject.

    1) this idea that kids were "forced" to eat anything... No. The schools offered healthier meals, kids could bring their own, nobody had to eat anything they didn't want.

    2) you seem to take such pleasure in the fact that kids are choosing to stick their noses up at healthier options, like this is some kind of victory for freedom... The ironic thing here is that you are so against the supposed "entitlement mentality" but yet what entitles kids to unhealthy food?

    Ultimately whatever subject you can attempt to shove in the right wing narrative of a "far reaching and tyrannical federal government" you will try, no matter how desperate or idiotic it might be... But I warn you that nobody will take you seriously if you continually cry wolf.
    When you want to discuss things seriously, let me know. Otherwise please stop wasting everyones time with your hyperpartisan derailment rants. Thank you.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    When you want to discuss things seriously, let me know. *Otherwise please stop wasting everyones time with your hyperpartisan derailment rants. * Thank you.
    I'm not the one ranting and raving that optional healthy meals at school = government tyranny...

    What you think I forgot what you said last time?*

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...unch-menu.html

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I applaud the entrepreneurial spirit, wholesale rejection of planned forced living and frankly just kids being kids in this whole affair. *You cannot force people to live the way you want them too, not in a free society.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I applaud this because people like you think that you can dictate how people should live, and that you can force them to be "healthy" with **** food. * How about we bring back good old recess and let kids run around and play and do kid things? *Or gym class where kids have to ya know... work up a sweat. * THAT would do so much more then craptastic food foisted by a bunch of arrogant bureaucrats.

    What I don't get is someone like yourself that thinks Government SHOULD dictate how people live.

  6. #6
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=361619

    Central planning fails. Forced editcs that disregard reality fail.
    I think she should look at her recipe. If kids are rejecting whole wheat pasta, then they're probably not hungry or have other choices they like better. It isn't rocket science. And it certainly doesn't hurt today's kids to skip a meal.

    WWPasta isn't the only healthy option. In fact, there are plenty of lunch options far healthier than pasta, no matter what kind it is.

    If we started hiring people trained in the food industry to prepare lunches for our children, we'd be much better off. But putting somebody's gramma in the school kitchen is probably a pretty bad idea.

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    See I don't understand why you've done this AGAIN.

    There are two glaring problems with your views on this subject.

    1) this idea that kids were "forced" to eat anything... No. The schools offered healthier meals, kids could bring their own, nobody had to eat anything they didn't want.

    2) you seem to take such pleasure in the fact that kids are choosing to stick their noses up at healthier options, like this is some kind of victory for freedom... The ironic thing here is that you are so against the supposed "entitlement mentality" but yet what entitles kids to unhealthy food?

    Ultimately whatever subject you can attempt to shove in the right wing narrative of a "far reaching and tyrannical federal government" you will try, no matter how desperate or idiotic it might be... But I warn you that nobody will take you seriously if you continually cry wolf.
    You're just made because another Leftist plan bit the dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think she should look at her recipe. If kids are rejecting whole wheat pasta, then they're probably not hungry or have other choices they like better. It isn't rocket science. And it certainly doesn't hurt today's kids to skip a meal.

    WWPasta isn't the only healthy option. In fact, there are plenty of lunch options far healthier than pasta, no matter what kind it is.

    If we started hiring people trained in the food industry to prepare lunches for our children, we'd be much better off. But putting somebody's gramma in the school kitchen is probably a pretty bad idea.
    Thats a brilliant idea! Throw money at it!
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,578

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think she should look at her recipe. If kids are rejecting whole wheat pasta, then they're probably not hungry or have other choices they like better. It isn't rocket science. And it certainly doesn't hurt today's kids to skip a meal.

    WWPasta isn't the only healthy option. In fact, there are plenty of lunch options far healthier than pasta, no matter what kind it is.

    If we started hiring people trained in the food industry to prepare lunches for our children, we'd be much better off. But putting somebody's gramma in the school kitchen is probably a pretty bad idea.
    some of the best food i had came from grandma .

    as for this? it could be plenty of different things. kids are visual about their food. if it doesn't look good then getting them to eat it is impossible sometimes. i have this issue with my kids and what my wife fixes sometimes.

    the other thing is that some kids have wheat allergies and can't eat it.

    the problem with the school is that they have mandated lvls of food they have to serve and i think due to michelle obama the amount of callories got cut big time.
    This is an issue for school atheletes etc... it has also been observed that kids that are hungry don't learn as well.

    we pack our kids lunches because from what i have seen school lunch hasn't improved. it wasn't bad where i was at but still.

  10. #10
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=361619



    Central planning fails. Forced editcs that disregard reality fail.
    It's not forced - is it?

    The healthier food program is an option funded by the federal government:

    1: Federal government offers schools the option of entering into an agreement to provide healthier lunches per some sort of fed approved standards in exchange for school grants.
    2: Schools don't have to participate, many do not.
    3: Those who do participate: they accepted the terms in exchange for the money - and now they're complaining? Then back out of the program.

    Of course, this might not be what they're referring to but I think it is.

    You know - what are these schools doing with that money, anyway?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •