Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 171

Thread: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Sure it's a problem in places, but it's a personal problem, NOT a government one. It's not for government to "fix".
    35% of american adults over 20 are obese. Another 35% are overweight. 70% of the people over 20 are unhealthy. 70% of americans have personal problems of weight issue and you think it's not a governmental problem...

    Really?

    It's not the governments problem that nearly 70% of americans are obese or overweight... and the next generation may be worse.

    Do you know what the government is and who it is supposed to work for and who it is supposed to represent? I'm just asking because it seems to me you don't understand what this entity "the government" is. It's supposed to be something that works for the public interest. And that means it should work on both the internal matters and the external matters.

    But you know, fine, lets say you're right. This issue will continue and the USA will be the first nation in the history of the world to collapse from being too fat. You'll set a new precedent. Other nations collapsed due to environmental disasters, wars, famines (quite a lot really), diseases... america will be the first to fall flat on it's ass because it'll be too fat. Now it has a lot of junk in the trunk so it won't feel that painful but it's still gonna need one of those mopeds to waddle around the international stage. That's the future you want for america by not promoting healthy eating and a healthy life... and that's because you don't understand what the government is.

  2. #52
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So we should let our national security be weakened before we do anything?


    I wish you had been bush*'s VP instead of Cheney
    You blind yourself to the wiggle words because it suits your argument. COULD BECOME is not will become. And all this is in the rank opinion of ONE general. I know two former generals, both have opinions and ideas that would make you say, "wtf?".

  3. #53
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    35% of american adults over 20 are obese. Another 35% are overweight. 70% of the people over 20 are unhealthy. 70% of americans have personal problems of weight issue and you think it's not a governmental problem...

    Really?

    It's not the governments problem that nearly 70% of americans are obese or overweight... and the next generation may be worse.

    Do you know what the government is and who it is supposed to work for and who it is supposed to represent? I'm just asking because it seems to me you don't understand what this entity "the government" is. It's supposed to be something that works for the public interest. And that means it should work on both the internal matters and the external matters.

    But you know, fine, lets say you're right. This issue will continue and the USA will be the first nation in the history of the world to collapse from being too fat. You'll set a new precedent. Other nations collapsed due to environmental disasters, wars, famines (quite a lot really), diseases... america will be the first to fall flat on it's ass because it'll be too fat. Now it has a lot of junk in the trunk so it won't feel that painful but it's still gonna need one of those mopeds to waddle around the international stage. That's the future you want for america by not promoting healthy eating and a healthy life... and that's because you don't understand what the government is.
    The sky isn't falling and it's not near the end of the nation issue you are panicking over. No matter how much YOU see a need, doesn't make it a government issue. YOU may be fine with being told by government what to eat, when and how to exercise, you may even find having a nanny helpful, but I don't and a whole lot of Americans are with me in that.

    I have no problem with local and state government promoting good nutrition, advertising it. But mandating it? No.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The sky isn't falling and it's not near the end of the nation issue you are panicking over. No matter how much YOU see a need, doesn't make it a government issue. YOU may be fine with being told by government what to eat, when and how to exercise, you may even find having a nanny helpful, but I don't and a whole lot of Americans are with me in that.

    I have no problem with local and state government promoting good nutrition, advertising it. But mandating it? No.
    It's not mandated. It's given as an option in schools. It wasn't forced on them. Read the articles.

    Also. In order to have a choice, you need to be informed on the fact that you CAN make a choice. A lot of people don't know that they can CHOOSE to eat healthy and that they can CHOOSE to do exercise. It may sound amazing but you'd be shocked how many people rationalize being fat and stupid as being "genetic" or "how they are". If you don't teach people they can be better, they won't be better.

    It's like if you don't teach someone how to read, how can you expect him to choose which russian literary classic to read.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    This whole issue is IMO insane. If one is on a Free/Reduced meal plan you fall into the "beggar" group. Beggar's can't be choosers. Those that don't fall into the beggar group still have choices.
    Ahhh great insight into the mind of a CON. When it suits the 'gubmint' is a one size fits all... and of course the CON will scream a blue streak when that same gubmint comes to them with one size...

    I CAN tell such CONs the 'beggars' in the reduced to free program are cops and soldiers, nurses aides, lab techs, receptionists.... quite a large cross-section of WORKING America...

    far from beggars, hard working folks, some with a sworn duty to protect the whiniest of CONs.

    Grant is of the opinion using CON is 'insulting'... THIS beggar CON crap is both ignorant and insulting.

    Educate your CON self....

  6. #56
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Except, IF it is a problem, it's not one government (right or left) should be involved in. You want to eat wheatgrass for lunch, bring your own.
    What about the kids who have irresponsible parents who don't bother packing their kids lunch? Unfortunately there's a lot of kids out there who's only meals are the school breakfast and lunch. It is the right thing to do to give them some access to healthy food.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  7. #57
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    It's not mandated. It's given as an option in schools. It wasn't forced on them. Read the articles.

    Also. In order to have a choice, you need to be informed on the fact that you CAN make a choice. A lot of people don't know that they can CHOOSE to eat healthy and that they can CHOOSE to do exercise. It may sound amazing but you'd be shocked how many people rationalize being fat and stupid as being "genetic" or "how they are". If you don't teach people they can be better, they won't be better.

    It's like if you don't teach someone how to read, how can you expect him to choose which russian literary classic to read.
    That's nice, so you agree with me then. I said "I have no problem with local and state government promoting good nutrition, advertising it. But mandating it? No."

    However, I am not exactly comfortable with government as a teacher. I don't look to my government to teach me to "be better". Maybe you do.

  8. #58
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    What about the kids who have irresponsible parents who don't bother packing their kids lunch? Unfortunately there's a lot of kids out there who's only meals are the school breakfast and lunch. It is the right thing to do to give them some access to healthy food.
    Sure, if you don't blow the budget for education by doing so. Remember why we have schools, it's not to provide a cafeteria, but an education.

  9. #59
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    What about the kids who have irresponsible parents who don't bother packing their kids lunch? Unfortunately there's a lot of kids out there who's only meals are the school breakfast and lunch. It is the right thing to do to give them some access to healthy food.
    The right thing to do is let the parents take responsibility. As it is, the trend is to provide year round meals for children and remove all responsibility for feeding them from the parents. Why is that a good thing?

    What happens when a parent disagrees with the decisions of the government school food czars? Will they have any recourse? Will the government decide when a child is to eat, and with whom?

  10. #60
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    So the Right prefers that our tax dollars subsidize sugar, salt, corn and grease, processed psuedo-food for children to eat at school. That is a good thing. But if those dollars subsidize whole foods, fruits and vegetables, that is a bad thing? Talk about an ass jack backwards POV.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •