Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 171

Thread: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Thats a brilliant idea! Throw money at it!
    Wouldn't take a lot of money. Chefs can be hired dirt cheap. Unfortunate, but true.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I'm not the one ranting and raving that optional healthy meals at school = government tyranny...

    What you think I forgot what you said last time?*

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...unch-menu.html
    God forbid children have the option of eathing healthy. How many children grow up knowing nothing but fried potatoes and chicken wings for 90% of the meals? Peas, beans, rice, mushrooms, corn, carrots... a plate of food should have multiple colors: red, yellow, green, white and purple/blue... colors = vitamin groups for both veggies and fruits.

    Next up people will rally against educating people and giving them the option of doing sports. God forbid the STATE, the DAMNED STATE, be involved in teaching children a healthy approach to life with both exercise, eating healthy and work. God forbid that.

    People should stand up and say: It's patriotic to teach the children to eat properly and to eat proportionally. It's patriotic to teach them to be healthy. Being unhealthy doesn't hurt just you, it hurts the nation.; Now that's a rhetoric that should be used by proponents of such plans.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    God forbid children have the option of eathing healthy. How many children grow up knowing nothing but fried potatoes and chicken wings for 90% of the meals? Peas, beans, rice, mushrooms, corn, carrots... a plate of food should have multiple colors: red, yellow, green, white and purple/blue... colors = vitamin groups for both veggies and fruits.

    Next up people will rally against educating people and giving them the option of doing sports. God forbid the STATE, the DAMNED STATE, be involved in teaching children a healthy approach to life with both exercise, eating healthy and work. God forbid that.

    People should stand up and say: It's patriotic to teach the children to eat properly and to eat proportionally. It's patriotic to teach them to be healthy. Being unhealthy doesn't hurt just you, it hurts the nation.; Now that's a rhetoric that should be used by proponents of such plans.
    Lol. You are in hook line sinker with this goverment nanny state bull**** aintcha?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #14
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    God forbid children have the option of eathing healthy. How many children grow up knowing nothing but fried potatoes and chicken wings for 90% of the meals? Peas, beans, rice, mushrooms, corn, carrots... a plate of food should have multiple colors: red, yellow, green, white and purple/blue... colors = vitamin groups for both veggies and fruits.

    Next up people will rally against educating people and giving them the option of doing sports. God forbid the STATE, the DAMNED STATE, be involved in teaching children a healthy approach to life with both exercise, eating healthy and work. God forbid that.

    People should stand up and say: It's patriotic to teach the children to eat properly and to eat proportionally. It's patriotic to teach them to be healthy. Being unhealthy doesn't hurt just you, it hurts the nation.; Now that's a rhetoric that should be used by proponents of such plans.

    So, where do parents and family enter into the patriotic Nation you're referring to? With school systems like LAUSD now providing meals 7 days per week, all throughout the year, what are parents needed for?

    Why is the government removing parents, and parental responsibility, from children?

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Oh well... I guess it's sack lunch time.
    I heard some mom got life in prison for sending in a sack lunch that didn't meet federal standards.
    Last edited by American; 05-05-14 at 01:19 PM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Interesting some CONs see nutrition as a 'leftist' plan...

    While I already know the CON retort to this... many jails serve healthier food than a school lunch room. Getting kids to eat by using salt and fat isn't 'good'. Wanting to roll back healthier menus for fatty, salty, heavily breaded foods isn't helpful. Bread with a sliver of chicken in it dunked in salty ketchup, macachee, and pudding isn't balanced. Putting a bucket of apples at the end of the counter isn't meal preparation.

    If it was left up to the kids they would eat pizza and ice cream- letting the least educated in nutrition lead the parade seems silly. Not being trained well enough to cook more than the traditional grease/salt delivery systems seems to be where the biggest fault sits. The 'cooks' are too use to slap and serve meals.

    What we need are more professionals in our school lunch prep, unfortunately we seem intent on making school lunches as cheap as possible- kiddie fodder rather than nutritious. Deep fat fryers, huge ovens for baking everything from bacon to nuggets. Semi processed foods laden with salt to help stabilize them. Read the sodium content on most of the heat and serve meals your kids like.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Wouldn't take a lot of money. Chefs can be hired dirt cheap. Unfortunate, but true.
    Its school food. Okay. Its low grade lowest bidder institutional slop. The only good item is the burritos and the way to fix the system isnt edicts from on high.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #18
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Interesting some CONs see nutrition as a 'leftist' plan...

    While I already know the CON retort to this... many jails serve healthier food than a school lunch room. Getting kids to eat by using salt and fat isn't 'good'. Wanting to roll back healthier menus for fatty, salty, heavily breaded foods isn't helpful. Bread with a sliver of chicken in it dunked in salty ketchup, macachee, and pudding isn't balanced. Putting a bucket of apples at the end of the counter isn't meal preparation.

    If it was left up to the kids they would eat pizza and ice cream- letting the least educated in nutrition lead the parade seems silly. Not being trained well enough to cook more than the traditional grease/salt delivery systems seems to be where the biggest fault sits. The 'cooks' are too use to slap and serve meals.

    What we need are more professionals in our school lunch prep, unfortunately we seem intent on making school lunches as cheap as possible- kiddie fodder rather than nutritious. Deep fat fryers, huge ovens for baking everything from bacon to nuggets. Semi processed foods laden with salt to help stabilize them. Read the sodium content on most of the heat and serve meals your kids like.
    That you think this is about consrvstives against healthy food shows how dishonest a person you are.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    So, where do parents and family enter into the patriotic Nation you're referring to? With school systems like LAUSD now providing meals 7 days per week, all throughout the year, what are parents needed for? Why is the government removing parents, and parental responsibility, from children?
    Ummm nice CON game but for most students they are receiving one meal 5 times a week from the school system- parents are still part of raising their kids...

    Low income parents who are working multiple part time jobs 7 days a week could use healthy meals for their kids.

    Nice try...

  10. #20
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Schools seek changes to healthier lunch rules

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Ummm nice CON game but for most students they are receiving one meal 5 times a week from the school system- parents are still part of raising their kids...

    Low income parents who are working multiple part time jobs 7 days a week could use healthy meals for their kids.

    Nice try...
    Nice ProgLib dodge.

    How about addressing the point?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •