Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 164

Thread: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77:155]

  1. #81
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    Honestly, would Rutgers be a good choice? Maybe Liberty Univ or BYU or some other conservative school.
    I attended Rutgers as a dual history/poli-sci undergrad during the Iraq war and as a graduate student (in a notoriously liberal field of study) immediately following the Iraq war.

    During that time, and as an alum, I've attended numerous colloquiua and lectures (Eagelton series and other) related to the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and American foreign policy more generally.

    I've been a member of RUSERVS (the Rutgers student veteran organization) since it's inception in the mid 2000s.

    Other than a handful of undergrad rallies nothing ever gave me the impression that the Rutgers student body was excessively absorbed in anti war sentiment.

    Given the nature of my dual undergrad major, and the courses I took, I expect that if there were an aggressive anti war sentiment among the faculty I would have been exposed to it.

    Sure I had professors who were overtly liberal in terms of their views of the war, but I also had professors who were overtly conservative.

    Most were somewhere in between, trying to provide instruction based on a balanced view without injecting their personal philosophies into the course material overmuch.

    In in-class discussions with other students related to topics of war and peace generally and the GWOT specifically I think the majority were always of an anti war bent (both generally and specifically), and I think that's what you'd expect from a population of service-age young adults who didn't have the balls (my opinion) to man up and serve their country, but I never saw it get to the point of disrespect or combativeness.

    The relationship between the faculty and the student body at large with the veteran sub-community was always cordial if not clearly respectful.

    The following article (granted, it's from FOX, which I'm not a fan of) expresses the kind of sentiment I'd expect from the Rutgers community:

    In a nutshell, it says that an handful of faculty and students created a stink, so she backed out, but the overriding sentiment of the wider Rutgers community was disappointment in her decision to do so:

    Rutgers students frustrated after Rice withdraws as commencement speaker | Fox News
    Last edited by soot; 05-05-14 at 02:21 PM.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  2. #82
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Rutgers is an incoming member of the soon-to-be 14-member Big Ten.
    As one who lives in the heart of Big Ten country, I consider this to be an embarrassment to the Big 10.
    Multi-cultural, non-sexist and free thought are the bedrock of our great universities.

    Professor Rice has proven her credentials at Stanford.
    As a moderate Democrat, I would have like to hear what she has to say.

    As well, what will happen when the 13-member NCAA football committee, which she is a part of, decides on how to run the 2014 playoff system?
    Some of the coaches comments have been quite dismissive and misogynistic toward Ms. Rice .
    Physics is Phun

  3. #83
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    True.

    But at the same time the school should not pick someone just to get controversy.
    Your assuming that was their motive. I think they were looking for a significant public figure to add a unique perspective to past events, and something one would expect graduates would embrace.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #84
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I attended Rutgers as a dual history/poli-sci undergrad during the Iraq war and as a graduate student (in a notoriously liberal field of study) immediately following the Iraq war.

    During that time, and as an alum, I've attended numerous colloquiua and lectures (Eagelton series and other) related to the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and American foreign policy more generally.

    I've been a member of RUSERVS (the Rutgers student veteran organization) since it's inception in the mid 2000s.

    Other than a handful of undergrad rallies nothing ever gave me the impression that the Rutgers student body was excessively absorbed in anti war sentiment.

    Given the nature of my dual undergrad major, and the courses I took, I expect that if there were an aggressive anti war sentiment among the faculty I would have been exposed to it.

    Sure I had professors who were overtly liberal in terms of their views of the war, but I also had professors who were overtly conservative.

    Most were somewhere in between, trying to provide instruction based on a balanced view without injecting their personal philosophies into the course material overmuch.

    In in-class discussions with other students related to topics of war and peace generally and the GWOT specifically I think the majority were always of an anti war bent (both generally and specifically), and I think that's what you'd expect from a population of service-age young adults who didn't have the balls (my opinion) to man up and serve their country, but I never saw it get to the point of disrespect or combativeness.

    The relationship between the faculty and the student body at large with the veteran sub-community was always cordial if not clearly respectful.

    The following article (granted, it's from FOX, which I'm not a fan of) expresses the kind of sentiment I'd expect from the Rutgers community:

    In a nutshell, it says that an handful of faculty and students created a stink, so she backed out, but the overriding sentiment of the wider Rutgers community was disappointment in her decision to do so:

    Rutgers students frustrated after Rice withdraws as commencement speaker | Fox News
    I too found my school experience similar to yours, though I didn't go to Rutgers or study Political Sci or History.

  5. #85
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,315

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Rice is also a self made woman, not coat tailing on her husbands laurels. ie Hillary. Anyone that would not want her to speak at their school is clearly a narrow minded fool that will do nothing with their lives in the future.
    A narrow minded fool, or a group of courageous youngsters willing to protest a war criminal and enemy of the US Constitution?

    Maybe somebody taught them that old bit of wisdom, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"?


  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    A narrow minded fool, or a group of courageous youngsters willing to protest a war criminal and enemy of the US Constitution?

    Maybe somebody taught them that old bit of wisdom, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"?

    They stood for nothing. Worse they stood for being whiney little children who held their breath and stamped their feet to get their way.

  7. #87
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,315

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    They stood for nothing. Worse they stood for being whiney little children who held their breath and stamped their feet to get their way.
    They stood for honor and dignity, objecting to having their school bring a war criminal on campus to address the students.

    They stood for something, rather than falling for anything, as seems to be the case here. They objected to the sophistry and coverup advanced by the federal government.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    True.

    But at the same time the school should not pick someone just to get controversy.
    What public figure is without controversy?

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I attended Rutgers as a dual history/poli-sci undergrad during the Iraq war and as a graduate student (in a notoriously liberal field of study) immediately following the Iraq war.

    During that time, and as an alum, I've attended numerous colloquiua and lectures (Eagelton series and other) related to the Iraq/Afghanistan wars and American foreign policy more generally.

    I've been a member of RUSERVS (the Rutgers student veteran organization) since it's inception in the mid 2000s.

    Other than a handful of undergrad rallies nothing ever gave me the impression that the Rutgers student body was excessively absorbed in anti war sentiment.

    Given the nature of my dual undergrad major, and the courses I took, I expect that if there were an aggressive anti war sentiment among the faculty I would have been exposed to it.

    Sure I had professors who were overtly liberal in terms of their views of the war, but I also had professors who were overtly conservative.

    Most were somewhere in between, trying to provide instruction based on a balanced view without injecting their personal philosophies into the course material overmuch.

    In in-class discussions with other students related to topics of war and peace generally and the GWOT specifically I think the majority were always of an anti war bent (both generally and specifically), and I think that's what you'd expect from a population of service-age young adults who didn't have the balls (my opinion) to man up and serve their country, but I never saw it get to the point of disrespect or combativeness.

    The relationship between the faculty and the student body at large with the veteran sub-community was always cordial if not clearly respectful.

    The following article (granted, it's from FOX, which I'm not a fan of) expresses the kind of sentiment I'd expect from the Rutgers community:

    In a nutshell, it says that an handful of faculty and students created a stink, so she backed out, but the overriding sentiment of the wider Rutgers community was disappointment in her decision to do so:

    Rutgers students frustrated after Rice withdraws as commencement speaker | Fox News
    Very interesting and you make me rethink my OP. Maybe Rice should not have let this small group of misfits run her off.

  10. #90
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Very interesting and you make me rethink my OP. Maybe Rice should not have let this small group of misfits run her off.
    I think I agree with you, in respect to Rice shouldn't have knuckled under.

    I mean, as a matter of principal I do agree with you.

    But something screwy has been going on this year with the planning of Rutgers' commencement and the invitation of speakers.

    Take a look at the article I'll link below.

    It talks about Eric LeGrand, a former RU DT who was signed to the Buccaneers but was paralyzed while making a tackle in a 2010 game against Army. You may have heard of him. LeGrand has become something of a cause célèbre among Rutgers faithful and a minor celebrity in NJ more generally and to some extent nationally. He has been very visible in terms of raising awareness related to spinal cord injuries and recovery from such injuries, giving motivational speeches, and has raised quite a bit of money for the cause.

    Anyhow...

    Apparently, the RU president's chief of staff called LeGrand this past Saturday night, after Rice pulled the plug, and invited him to be the commencement speaker. Then, on Monday, he called back and told LeGrand that the school decided to go in another direction (Kean). LeGrand made a bit of a stink about his disappointment in being jerked around and whatnot and because of his celebrity he got a bit of traction. On Tuesday he was re-invited to speak at the ceremony with Rutgers claiming "misunderstanding" and "miscommunication" and claiming, "...it was never Rutgers' intention to have just one speaker".

    So, yeah, a pretty lousy way to run a railroad.

    Part of me is starting to think that maybe Rutgers was jerking Rice around too, in some way, and her claiming that she didn't want to ruin the day for a small population of dissenters might have been the "noble" way for her to bow out while allowing Rutgers administration to save a little face.

    Why she would do that, if she even did do that (note that this is just me speculating), is beyond me, as she owes nothing to Rutgers or its president (that I know of).

    But as has already been said in this thread Rice is a class act and I wouldn't put it past her to let someone off the hook if there were some way for her to do so.

    Oh, the article I mentioned:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ment-reversal/
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •