Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 164

Thread: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77:155]

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    No offense but you have ZERO knowledge of why she decided not to do it...only she knows that.

    All you (or I) can do is guess why she did what she did.

    You say she did it out of respect. Maybe she did.

    I say she did it because she is inherently a moral coward...which I cannot prove either.

    My guess is we are both right to an extent.
    You too obviously did not really read the OP or the link.

    "As a Professor for thirty years at Stanford University and as it’s former Provost and Chief academic officer, I understand and embrace the purpose of the commencement ceremony and I am simply unwilling to detract from it in any way".

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    So Rice didn't want to attend because she was afraid people would be expressing their freedom of speech, classy.
    If you read the OP you would see she didn't attend because she didn't want to disrupt what she felt to be a special day for the graduating students and their families.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I disagree. She empowered a small vocal minority to deprive the majority of hearing her speak which is, IMHO, more wimpy than classy. Any wimp can choose to speak only in front of those that completely agree with them; it takes more class to speak in front of those that may not.
    Well I would have shoved my free speech rights down their lib scum throats but I respect her decision on this and do think it was a classy one.

  4. #24
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-11-16 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,547

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    The human head weighs 8 pounds.
    Obviously, I was referring to your signature, not your (ridiculous) post. Still, it's surprising to me that someone with such hard right views would quote a Socialist in their sig.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  5. #25
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,229

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Well I would have shoved my free speech rights down their lib scum throats but I respect her decision on this and do think it was a classy one.
    Is that because you have no class?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #26
    Why so serious?
    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,364

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    Obviously, I was referring to your signature, not your (ridiculous) post. Still, it's surprising to me that someone with such hard right views would quote a Socialist in their sig.
    What are hard right views, and how do you know I hold them?

    I really don't care if Einstein was a socialist, or any other ist. He was a brilliant man and changed the course of science for the whole world, and his influence will be felt for centuries to come. I found that quote when i was in college and it closely matches my views on religion. Sorry if I don't conform to the stereotype you've created about conservatives.

    Of course it was a ridiculous post. That was my intent.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Is that because you have no class?
    I have a confrontational disposition that out weighs my class by two fold but that is not to say I have no class at all.

  8. #28
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,638

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I've seen your posts here. I don't think you're qualified to judge anything posted on this board based on IQ. The fact that you took my post as a serious statement is evidence of that.
    Lol...I took your statement as neither serious or not serious.

    I took it for what it was...a ridiculous statement.

    And I commented accordingly.


    Good day.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  9. #29
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,638

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You too obviously did not really read the OP or the link.

    "As a Professor for thirty years at Stanford University and as it’s former Provost and Chief academic officer, I understand and embrace the purpose of the commencement ceremony and I am simply unwilling to detract from it in any way".
    That is what she said...that does not mean that is what she thought - only she knows that.

    Surely you do not believe ex-politicians mean everything they say?
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  10. #30
    Why so serious?
    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,364

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Lol...I took your statement as neither serious or not serious.

    I took it for what it was...a ridiculous statement.

    And I commented accordingly.


    Good day.
    Nice backpedal.

    Good to to you!
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •