Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 164

Thread: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77:155]

  1. #11
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    So, they disagree with her politics, and therefore protest her coming to the university to speak. That's free speech to speak against free speech, in a way.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Condi put the kids and their parents ahead of her own ego and asserting her right to free speech. Not saying I would have gone that route but I do think "class" and maturity descibes her actions here.
    No offense but you have ZERO knowledge of why she decided not to do it...only she knows that.

    All you (or I) can do is guess why she did what she did.

    You say she did it out of respect. Maybe she did.

    I say she did it because she is inherently a moral coward...which I cannot prove either.

    My guess is we are both right to an extent.

  3. #13
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Condi put the kids and their parents ahead of her own ego and asserting her right to free speech. Not saying I would have gone that route but I do think "class" and maturity descibes her actions here.
    I disagree. She empowered a small vocal minority to deprive the majority of hearing her speak which is, IMHO, more wimpy than classy. Any wimp can choose to speak only in front of those that completely agree with them; it takes more class to speak in front of those that may not.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    From the link you obviously didn't read.

    "In a statement when the controversy first erupted, Rutgers president Robert Barchi said, “We cannot protect free speech or academic freedom by denying others the right to an opposing view, or by excluding those with whom we may disagree. Free speech and academic freedom cannot be determined by any group. They cannot insist on consensus or popularity.”
    Sure I did, but protesting IS part of free speech. I don't recall you storming in the thread crying about free speech where high school students protested Michelle Obama attending a graduation. Oh yeah, that was because it was someone on the left getting protested against. Face it, your faux outrage is exposed for what it is, partisan dribble.

  5. #15
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,285

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Why do liberals hate black people?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #16
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Yet another example in the evidence file that our universities have been taken over by the left. What is it with you leftist and free speech anyway? Why do you try so hard to muzzle any point of view you don't share? One thing though, Condi is one classy lady and showed the kids and profs at Rutgers how to be an adult.

    "Former secretary of state Condoleeza Rice is withdrawing from the Rutgers University commencement ceremony.

    Her invitation by the school’s board of governors had sparked protests from faculty and students, and now Rice has decided not to speak to avoid creating a distraction.
    In a statement to be released this morning, Rice says,
    Commencement should be a time of joyous celebration for the graduates and their families. Rutgers’ invitation to me to speak has become a distraction for the university community at this very special time.
    I am honored to have served my country. I have defended America’s belief in free speech and the exchange of ideas. These values are essential to the health of our democracy. But that is not what is at issue here. As a Professor for thirty years at Stanford University and as it’s former Provost and Chief academic officer, I understand and embrace the purpose of the commencement ceremony and I am simply unwilling to detract from it in any way.
    Good luck to the graduates and congratulations to the families, friends and loved ones who will gather to honor them.

    EXCLUSIVE: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement | National Review Online
    So Rice didn't want to attend because she was afraid people would be expressing their freedom of speech, classy.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Why do liberals hate black people?
    Congratulations...you have won the DA60 daily award for 'least IQ inspired statement of the day'.


    Btw - I am neither lib nor con.

  8. #18
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,285

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Congratulations...you have won the DA60 daily award for 'least IQ inspired statement of the day'.
    I've seen your posts here. I don't think you're qualified to judge anything posted on this board based on IQ. The fact that you took my post as a serious statement is evidence of that.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  9. #19
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Why do liberals hate black people?
    You know Einstein was a Socialist, right?
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  10. #20
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,285

    re: Rice Withdraws from Rutgers Commencement [W:77]

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    You know Einstein was a Socialist, right?
    The human head weighs 8 pounds.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •