Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 213

Thread: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

  1. #31
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,257

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Just because they are "struggling adults" does that mean they deserve to be paid more?
    If a person gets paid a bit more and is able to stay off welfare services? Sure. Hell yeah.

    Deserve? Hmmm. Good idea? More like it.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I believe that is taking it too far.
    don't you want people to make a living wage? you know if we paid everyone 100/hr or lets just make it a flat salary of 100k a year then
    we wouldn't have any working poor. government would make huge tax profits since everyone would be in the 30% range.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    If a person gets paid a bit more and is able to stay off welfare services? Sure. Hell yeah.

    Deserve? Hmmm. Good idea? More like it.
    the reason you don't see high schoolers in jobs anymore is that they have been priced out of the market. no one is going to higher a teenager with 0 experience for 10 let alone 15 dollars an hour when there are people out there that have experience doing the same job.

    teenage unemployment is still in the 20%+ range and it has increased every year that minimum wage has increased. why? as a business you have to be able to justify paying someone 10/15 dollars an hour. it is hard to justify paying someone that with no education and no experience.

  4. #34
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,257

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the reason you don't see high schoolers in jobs anymore is that they have been priced out of the market. no one is going to higher a teenager with 0 experience for 10 let alone 15 dollars an hour when there are people out there that have experience doing the same job.

    teenage unemployment is still in the 20%+ range and it has increased every year that minimum wage has increased. why? as a business you have to be able to justify paying someone 10/15 dollars an hour. it is hard to justify paying someone that with no education and no experience.
    I have absolutely no freaking problem with a grown adult who needs the job to keep his/her family afloat taking that minimum wage job over a high schooler. If the high schooler wants to beef up their resume, there are vast numbers of wonderful volunteer experiences. But paying the rent and keeping food on the table trumps high school job experience.

  5. #35
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,356

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    I wish Seattle well, I hope the other cites near by are not in competition with
    Seattle, as they may adopt predatory business recruitment practices.
    I believe Kent has a large industrial area, and is closer to the airport.
    Tacoma is not that far, and Seattle shows them enough contempt,
    that they may not mind some of Seattle's business.

  6. #36
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    don't you want people to make a living wage? you know if we paid everyone 100/hr or lets just make it a flat salary of 100k a year then
    we wouldn't have any working poor. government would make huge tax profits since everyone would be in the 30% range.
    If you believe in smaller government, why not eliminate the government entirely?

    Is it because not every notion can be extrapolated to every extreme?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    I have absolutely no freaking problem with a grown adult who needs the job to keep his/her family afloat taking that minimum wage job over a high schooler. If the high schooler wants to beef up their resume, there are vast numbers of wonderful volunteer experiences. But paying the rent and keeping food on the table trumps high school job experience.
    how do you expect them to beef up their resume's when they can't get a job to do it because the pay is so high no one can justify it?
    maybe the adult should do something other than minimum wage work there is an idea.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    If you believe in smaller government, why not eliminate the government entirely?

    Is it because not every notion can be extrapolated to every extreme?
    way not to address the point.

  9. #39
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I believe that is taking it too far.
    Oh no! You claim 15 is going to be good for the economy, then 50 will be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And that would be every bit as wrong as having no MW at all. It's not an 'all or nothing' idea - it's a matter of finding that "Goldilocks" level of the MW...because paying so little that a person working full time cannot afford to feed, shelter, and clothe himself or herself including a child, then the MW is simply too low.
    You do know that doubling the minimum wage will cause prices to go up. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •