Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 213

Thread: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Not true, and wage increases will not cause huge increases in price, in most industries labor is a small percentage of the total cost of producing a product. If labor is 10% of the cost of a 1 dollar burger for instance, the doubling the burger flippers wages will make the burger cost one dime extra. The mantra of "higher wages higher prices" may be technically true, but when you get into the details, price increases will not be dramatic
    I would call roughly 30% 'dramatic'.

    'Where It Went:
    Cost of Food and Beverage Sales 31.9%
    Salaries and Wages 29.4%
    Restaurant Occupancy 7.7%'


    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...rarept2010.pdf Page 9

  2. #142
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What's sad, is the notion that ALL taxes are passed onto the consumer.
    True. Something that many here refuse to acknowledge. That the consumer ends up paying for it all.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  3. #143
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I would call roughly 30% 'dramatic'.

    'Where It Went:
    Cost of Food and Beverage Sales 31.9%
    Salaries and Wages 29.4%
    Restaurant Occupancy 7.7%'


    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...rarept2010.pdf Page 9
    So doubling or tripling the cost of 31.9% of your industry cost? I don't see how Restaurants could possibly afford that hike in their costs, so they'd have to pass is along to the consumer. What does a consumer do when Restaurant prices are out of sight? He stays home and doesn't spend the money in Restaurants.

    Yeah, I'm sure the Seattle Restaurants (and other businesses) are just loving this hair brained idea.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  4. #144
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, but you claim that doubling the minimum wage will improve the economy. If so, $50 per hour will REALLY improve the economy, not to mention, we'll have more actual tax payers be introduced into the system.
    Great, I'm glad you agree it's fair to change someone's opinion and then attack that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #145
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,317

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Great, I'm glad you agree it's fair to change someone's opinion and then attack that.
    It's fair if it makes sense. You, unfortunately, didn't make a lick-a-sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #146
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    True. Something that many here refuse to acknowledge. That the consumer ends up paying for it all.
    Yes, if the consumer wants people to work a job to make whatever product or service is desired, they should be willing to properly fund someone actually being able to, you know, feed themselves on the compensation for that labor. So often we see the right-wingers put "living wage" in scare-quotes, as if it's some absurd notion that people working two full-time jobs ought to be able to feed themselves and pay rent.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #147
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's fair if it makes sense. You, unfortunately, didn't make a lick-a-sense.
    It doesn't make sense to say liberals believe the minimum wage should go to $50/hour, nor does it make sense to say "if X is good, then 1000X must be 1000X better!" That's child-like logic you are displaying. You. Not me, or any other liberal on this message board. You invented the $50/hour minimum wage idea.

    If it's good to eliminate some regulations, is it good to eliminate all regulations? Less regulation is good, right?
    If it's good to cut taxes, is it good to cut all taxes?
    If it's good to spend more on the military, is it good to spend twice as much on the military?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #148
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,833
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, if the consumer wants people to work a job to make whatever product or service is desired, they should be willing to properly fund someone actually being able to, you know, feed themselves on the compensation for that labor. So often we see the right-wingers put "living wage" in scare-quotes, as if it's some absurd notion that people working two full-time jobs ought to be able to feed themselves and pay rent.
    The value placed on the work rendered is not some sort of guarantee of being able to sustain yourself. The market places a value on the work rendered, by the value that is generated from that work, the number of people who would be willing to perform that work and how much compensation they would demand for doing so. In other words market competitive wages.

    Distorting that with some sort of misguided idea that mandating a higher minimum wage, and not expecting the market to react in some other negative, more undesirable manner is not being realistic.

    If you envision the market being an inflated balloon, and you poke it with your finger as a mandated higher minimum wage, the balloon, i.e. market, is going to bulge out in another place.

    TANSTAAFLE = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. This also applies to minimum wage hikes. They aren't free either.

    In the given discussion, it was observed:
    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I would call roughly 30% 'dramatic'.

    'Where It Went:
    Cost of Food and Beverage Sales 31.9%
    Salaries and Wages 29.4%
    Restaurant Occupancy 7.7%'

    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...rarept2010.pdf Page 9
    If 31.9% of the cost structure of a business jumps by double or triple, there is little choice by the business than to increase their prices to customers by a compensating amount. People aren't going to pay it. They are going to eat at home. The Restaurant will go out of business. The result will be a net loss, potentially a significant one, of economic activity to the loss of everyone.

    Surely you can the cause-effect chain here.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  9. #149
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,930

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    The value placed on the work rendered is not some sort of guarantee of being able to sustain yourself. The market places a value on the work rendered, by the value that is generated from that work, the number of people who would be willing to perform that work and how much compensation they would demand for doing so. In other words market competitive wages.

    Distorting that with some sort of misguided idea that mandating a higher minimum wage, and not expecting the market to react in some other negative, more undesirable manner is not being realistic.

    If you envision the market being an inflated balloon, and you poke it with your finger as a mandated higher minimum wage, the balloon, i.e. market, is going to bulge out in another place.

    TANSTAAFLE = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. This also applies to minimum wage hikes. They aren't free either.

    In the given discussion, it was observed:


    If 31.9% of the cost structure of a business jumps by double or triple, there is little choice by the business than to increase their prices to customers by a compensating amount. People aren't going to pay it. They are going to eat at home. The Restaurant will go out of business. The result will be a net loss, potentially a significant one, of economic activity to the loss of everyone.

    Surely you can the cause-effect chain here.
    Restaurants are not going to go out of business.... Plus if you inject earned wealth into a class of people who don't make much they'll spend almost all of the increase, so with more dollars to spend the increases will be affordable. Also in Seattles case, if a downtown urban restaurant in a city with daytime population of over a million people has margins so thin that a 3 or 4 dollar bump in pay is going to break them then they haven't been running their business well for some time... Go visit any restaurant In downtown seattle between 8 am and 5 pm and tell me they're suffering..... There's no shortage of paying customers during the business day
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,578

    Re: Seattle mayor unveils plan for $15 minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And what, exactly, do you have as experience in living in a high-cost city earning $10/hr? And what about as a parent?

    And what you yourself are not factoring in is the fact that while initially there will be a higher cost to the corporations, the simple fact that the low-wage people have significantly more money to spend - and unlike rich people, poor people generally spend ALL their money every month - and because of that, the local businesses will prosper, and so will the corporations in turn.

    If you want proof, just ask yourself why it is that low-wage red states generally have significantly higher poverty levels than higher-wage blue states. You're arguing against success, guy.
    thank you for not addressing the actual facts.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •