Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 325

Thread: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that video w

  1. #21
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It was a major theme of the BHO reelection campaign that Al Qaeda was on the run and the terror threat was receding. It's not so much that the WH believed a video was the cause. It's that the WH was determined to sell that story to protect their campaign theme.
    I think the killing of Osama probably gave the admin. a pretty good anti-Al Qaeda campaign moment.

    The question is whether you buy that their "belief" was in good faith. I do not.
    Fair enough.
    I don't presume to know if their "belief" was real or imagined.
    It is my belief that the Benghazi debacle didn't influence voters one way or the other.
    Terrorists and terrorism exist, and we're going to get hit by the bastards occasionally.
    The vast majority of voters know this and don't expect any Prez to be infallible.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    It was a major theme of the BHO reelection campaign that Al Qaeda was on the run and the terror threat was receding. It's not so much that the WH believed a video was the cause. It's that the WH was determined to sell that story to protect their campaign theme. The question is whether you buy that their "belief" was in good faith. I do not.
    Hmmm I guess people can remember things differently- I recall major themes of the GOP war on women, the CON defense of marriage, and snide remarks about 47% of the nation.

    I understand the CON whine about defining 'on the run', I'd say they are on the run, and like any group of cockroaches flushed out some can find a new haven to start anew and 'on the run' doesn't mean dead and gone. Receding doesn't mean a rogue wave or two can't still get your feet wet, but it does mean the tide is going out. Doesn't mean an occasional home grown nut job, or a renegade pilot won't commit an act of terror, but hopefully it means if an FBI field report hits a desk on suspicious activities, that report sees timely action instead of a yawn.

    I believe the 'story' was to protect a botched CIA OP. The attack wasn't on the Embassy but a CIA arsenal masquerading as a Consulate far from the capital. I have ZERO understanding what the Ambassador was doing there and without any real escort detail... bad timing and thought process there. But the attack was on the CIA, it's operation that now can be seen as poorly managed, and a cache of weapons- not an embassy.

    Kinda like crooks seeing a poorly guarded bank stuffed full of money and the security detail are the much hated Pinkertons...

  3. #23
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Well the information Susan Rice said on those TV shows was the best information we had at the time. And yes, there was a video in the story even today. Not in Benghazi, but in Tripoli. "peace
    That's absolutely and completely untrue. There was no demonstration in Benghazi - just a terrorist attack, and the WH, the CIA, State, and Pentagon knew it at the time it occurred, and they knew the nature of it as well. Now we know who tried to portray it as something other than what it clearly was. No amount of spinning will change the words recorded on those pages now. It was a deliberate cover up of a foreign policy failure less than a month before the presidential election. Whether or not it would have changed the outcome of the election is not the issue at all.

  4. #24
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Well the information Susan Rice said on those TV shows was the best information we had at the time. And yes, there was a video in the story even today. Not in Benghazi, but in Tripoli. "peace
    No, it was the best information they claimed to have at the time. Later proven to be a false claim. Besides, didn't you guys claim the President Obama called it an act of terror in the Rose Garden speech?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    That's absolutely and completely untrue. There was no demonstration in Benghazi - just a terrorist attack, and the WH, the CIA, State, and Pentagon knew it at the time it occurred, and they knew the nature of it as well. Now we know who tried to portray it as something other than what it clearly was. No amount of spinning will change the words recorded on those pages now. It was a deliberate cover up of a foreign policy failure less than a month before the presidential election. Whether or not it would have changed the outcome of the election is not the issue at all.
    A side-by-side view of the redacted and unredacted versions would be interesting.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,295

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    nope, media matters dots their "i"s and cross their "t"s
    bwaaahhahahaha

  7. #27
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    A side-by-side view of the redacted and unredacted versions would be interesting.
    According to Lindsay Graham, the one's supplied to Congress were so redacted that they were worthless. Now, that's Lindsay Graham, soooo we'll just have to see. I haven't looked, but I'm certain they're available somewhere.

  8. #28
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,890
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Except there was no protest in Libya.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #29
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,890
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Hmmm I guess people can remember things differently- I recall major themes of the GOP war on women, the CON defense of marriage, and snide remarks about 47% of the nation.

    I understand the CON whine about defining 'on the run', I'd say they are on the run, and like any group of cockroaches flushed out some can find a new haven to start anew and 'on the run' doesn't mean dead and gone. Receding doesn't mean a rogue wave or two can't still get your feet wet, but it does mean the tide is going out. Doesn't mean an occasional home grown nut job, or a renegade pilot won't commit an act of terror, but hopefully it means if an FBI field report hits a desk on suspicious activities, that report sees timely action instead of a yawn.

    I believe the 'story' was to protect a botched CIA OP. The attack wasn't on the Embassy but a CIA arsenal masquerading as a Consulate far from the capital. I have ZERO understanding what the Ambassador was doing there and without any real escort detail... bad timing and thought process there. But the attack was on the CIA, it's operation that now can be seen as poorly managed, and a cache of weapons- not an embassy.

    Kinda like crooks seeing a poorly guarded bank stuffed full of money and the security detail are the much hated Pinkertons...
    There were two facilities, consulate and annex. The attack was on the consulate. The Ambassador was there because that's where he had an office. CIA personnel acted heroically, coming to the support of the consulate and then bringing survivors back to their own compound, where they fought off a second attack.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #30
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,761

    Re: Newly released Benghazi documents reinforce that White House was pushing that vid

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, it was the best information they claimed to have at the time. Later proven to be a false claim. Besides, didn't you guys claim the President Obama called it an act of terror in the Rose Garden speech?
    The day after the attacks, the Prez, in the Rose Garden, said..."No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation......"
    Now it's possible that he was referencing something other than Benghazi.
    But on the day after the Benghazi attack, what other "acts of terror" would he have been talking about?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •