Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Well the cat is out of the bag.....we are now Bluntly telling Putin will go after his defense industry? What do you think.....can we affect their Defense industry? Say we can.....does anyone think Russia will not retaliate in a major way? What do you think the outcome coming from this will be?


    The next round of US sanctions against Moscow over Ukraine will target Russia's defense industry as well as individuals and companies close to President Vladimir Putin, a senior US official said Sunday.

    "Starting this week, in coordination with our allies and partners, we'll be exerting additional pressure on the people closest to him, the companies they control, the defense industry. All of this," deputy national security adviser Tony Blinken said on CNN's State of the Union.

    In a separate interview with CBS's "Face the Nation," Blinken said high technology exports to the Russian defense industry would be affected.

    "It is important for us to take further steps sending a message to Russia that these kinds of destabilizing activities taking place in Ukraine have to stop," Obama said in Kuala Lumpur.

    Instead, he said Washington would focus economic aid to Kiev, with an estimated $37 billion being rounded up by Washington, the IMF, World Bank and others.....snip~

    Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US

  2. #2
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,355

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well the cat is out of the bag.....we are now Bluntly telling Putin will go after his defense industry? What do you think.....can we affect their Defense industry? Say we can.....does anyone think Russia will not retaliate in a major way? What do you think the outcome coming from this will be?


    The next round of US sanctions against Moscow over Ukraine will target Russia's defense industry as well as individuals and companies close to President Vladimir Putin, a senior US official said Sunday.

    "Starting this week, in coordination with our allies and partners, we'll be exerting additional pressure on the people closest to him, the companies they control, the defense industry. All of this," deputy national security adviser Tony Blinken said on CNN's State of the Union.

    In a separate interview with CBS's "Face the Nation," Blinken said high technology exports to the Russian defense industry would be affected.

    "It is important for us to take further steps sending a message to Russia that these kinds of destabilizing activities taking place in Ukraine have to stop," Obama said in Kuala Lumpur.

    Instead, he said Washington would focus economic aid to Kiev, with an estimated $37 billion being rounded up by Washington, the IMF, World Bank and others.....snip~

    Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US
    it wont affect russia,most countries that can afford american equipment already buy it or design their own equivilents,and those that rely on russian equipment will not put their country at risk over an embargo.


    russian equipment is mostly inferior in accuracy,but is superior in reliability.russia intentionally designed them that crudely,because russia is surrounded by some of the harshest extremes,from freezing tundras to arid deserts.many countries buy russian goods because of cost or because their environment requires a crudely designed reliable but functional piece of machinery.


    many countries rely on russian equipment,and would probably sever ties with the us and allied countries before obeying such an embargo that disadvantages them,but not those who imposed it.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    it wont affect russia,most countries that can afford american equipment already buy it or design their own equivilents,and those that rely on russian equipment will not put their country at risk over an embargo.


    russian equipment is mostly inferior in accuracy,but is superior in reliability.russia intentionally designed them that crudely,because russia is surrounded by some of the harshest extremes,from freezing tundras to arid deserts.many countries buy russian goods because of cost or because their environment requires a crudely designed reliable but functional piece of machinery.


    many countries rely on russian equipment,and would probably sever ties with the us and allied countries before obeying such an embargo that disadvantages them,but not those who imposed it.
    Heya Beerftw. So you don't think it will affect their defense industry much, huh? Well if that is the case then Putin wont even worry about such open threats.

  4. #4
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,355

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Beerftw. So you don't think it will affect their defense industry much, huh? Well if that is the case then Putin wont even worry about such open threats.
    other sanctions were more effective,remember even during the cold war,with all the trade restrictions against the soviet union,its defense industry thrived,even if its other sectors failed.

    unlike most of what russia offers that can be gotten elsewhere,russias military equipment is unique,and in high demand,meaning reguardless of embargos and sanctions,they will still sell,while the rest of their economy will suffer.but in doing such sanctions we risk hurting us allies who rely on such equipment,that we cant compete with,because our equipment targets an entirely different audience than the russians.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Beerftw. So you don't think it will affect their defense industry much, huh? Well if that is the case then Putin wont even worry about such open threats.
    The US is also mobilizing armored vehicles from the US, and many speculate they are going to europe. We shall see.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The US is also mobilizing armored vehicles from the US, and many speculate they are going to europe. We shall see.
    Mornin' USC. I sure hope not.....we are already looking to give the Ukraine 37 Billion. We shouldn't be giving up all this money and not when we need it ourselves. I just hope more and more people keep watching the money he throws out overseas.

    Already Putin is costing us more than what the Europeans are putting out.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    I can't imagine why anyone thinks a power hungry, nationalistic dictator with the upper hand will be deterred by sanctions. Common sense should tell the people in Washington that. Either stop him by force or let him have his way. I don't think anyone is going to talk him out of what he wants.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone thinks a power hungry, nationalistic dictator with the upper hand will be deterred by sanctions. Common sense should tell the people in Washington that. Either stop him by force or let him have his way. I don't think anyone is going to talk him out of what he wants.
    Heya Fmw ......well there is no more talks really going on now. As Putin stopped all talks with Obama. Hagels counterpart too. Leaving just Kerry and Lavrov who keep clashing and upping the rhetoric.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    other sanctions were more effective,remember even during the cold war,with all the trade restrictions against the soviet union,its defense industry thrived,even if its other sectors failed.

    unlike most of what russia offers that can be gotten elsewhere,russias military equipment is unique,and in high demand,meaning reguardless of embargos and sanctions,they will still sell,while the rest of their economy will suffer.but in doing such sanctions we risk hurting us allies who rely on such equipment,that we cant compete with,because our equipment targets an entirely different audience than the russians.
    What are you talking about? It isn't unique and it isn't in particularly high demand. Russia's status as a major arms exporter has declined since the fall of the Soviet Union due to the collapse of client states. The entire Warsaw Pact is now in NATO for crying out loud. Furthermore the sanctions are aimed at high technology sectors which feed into the Russian defense industry, not the defense industry itself.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Sanctions to target Russia's defense industry, others: US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Fmw ......well there is no more talks really going on now. As Putin stopped all talks with Obama. Hagels counterpart too. Leaving just Kerry and Lavrov who keep clashing and upping the rhetoric.
    The old saw does not say that the best offense is a good defense. Glad they aren't wasting time. Apparently they have decided to let Putin have Eastern Ukraine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •