Page 18 of 78 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 778

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My Games

  1. #171
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,888

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    He said are they better off on welfare!
    Than as slaves? Yes.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #172
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Moderator's Warning:
    Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My GamesThings that aren't on topic:

    1. Bundy
    2. Trayvon

    Stop attempting threadjacks

  3. #173
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,838

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Only problem with that is that gate revenue is a very, very small portion of overall revenue for NBA teams. The largest revenue stream is the national TV deal with ESPN. All the teams share in that equally.
    Ah, I see.

    I am not a sports guy as you can see.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Regardless of peoples views on what he said or what should happen, it doesn't look like the NBA will likely have the power to force him to sell the team:

    LINK

    Forcibly removing Sterling from the NBA is unlikely to happen. The NBA’s constitution, which is confidential, reportedly contains language permitting owners to authorize the league to sell a team without an owner’s consent. The language, SI.com is told, only covers very limited circumstances and these circumstances concern team finances — namely, when an owner can’t pay his bills.

    There is reportedly no language authorizing the NBA to sell a team because of an owner’s hurtful remarks or embarrassing behavior. Even if constitutional language could be construed to authorize a forced sale of the Clippers, NBA owners would likely be reluctant to do so given the precedent it would set.
    The one thing owners could possibly do is remove the Clippers from the league, allowing the owner to keep ownership...but not letting the team be part of the NBA. However, that's EXTREMELY unlikely to occur.

    The players could possibly refuse to play for him, but it's also doubtful they're going to forgo the paychecks and simply wait out their contracts due to having an issue with what the owner said.

    Fans could simply stop going to the game or buying merchandise, but there hasn't been much evidence that fans will significantly abandon purchasing things regarding a pro sports team due to displeasure with an owner, coach, or player.

    Nor is this a GM or a coach where you could potentially suspend them. How do you "suspend" an owner? What would you suspend them from?

  5. #175
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Taking his team away for racist comments would be like taking Jesse Jackson's church away for his comments on Jews. It won't happen and it's mighty unrealistic. Not to mention completely in violation of his constitutional rights.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #176
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,888

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Taking his team away for racist comments would be like taking Jesse Jackson's church away for his comments on Jews. It won't happen and it's mighty unrealistic. Not to mention completely in violation of his constitutional rights.
    The NBA could force him out; in fact, I think this is the kind of PR disaster that will urge them to do exactly that.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #177
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Do you think you could be baited into saying "Don't bring any black people around" ?
    Absolutely not. But I would excuse an 80-year-old fart from saying it. He is a product of his time. Don't worry. He won't be around long.

  8. #178
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,888

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Regardless of peoples views on what he said or what should happen, it doesn't look like the NBA will likely have the power to force him to sell the team:

    LINK
    I don't think they can force it; however, I think they can make his life miserable enough that he'll sell on his own volition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The one thing owners could possibly do is remove the Clippers from the league, allowing the owner to keep ownership...but not letting the team be part of the NBA. However, that's EXTREMELY unlikely to occur.
    I guess "zero point zero percent chance" qualifies as EXTREMELY unlikely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The players could possibly refuse to play for him, but it's also doubtful they're going to forgo the paychecks and simply wait out their contracts due to having an issue with what the owner said.
    Won't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Fans could simply stop going to the game or buying merchandise, but there hasn't been much evidence that fans will significantly abandon purchasing things regarding a pro sports team due to displeasure with an owner, coach, or player.
    Probably will happen to a certain extent, but not enough to make any serious financial impact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nor is this a GM or a coach where you could potentially suspend them. How do you "suspend" an owner? What would you suspend them from?
    George Steinbrenner was suspended in the early-mid 1990s for hiring a mobster to dig up dirt on Dave Winfield. He basically wasn't allowed to have anything to do with day-to-day management of the team.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #179
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,791

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The NBA could force him out; in fact, I think this is the kind of PR disaster that will urge them to do exactly that.
    The new commish is moving fast.
    He's acting professional and seems to know the law.
    Just removing ds from attending games sends an early message.
    Contrast that with Cuban after the Dallas win at the buzzer .
    Physics is Phun

  10. #180
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,888

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Tells Girlfriend: Don't bring Black People to My G

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The new commish is moving fast.
    He's acting professional and seems to know the law.
    Just removing ds from attending games sends an early message.
    Contrast that with Cuban after the Dallas win at the buzzer .
    That was an unbelievable shot by Carter.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 18 of 78 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •