Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 114

Thread: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

  1. #81
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Oh, well I'm sure that you've got some charts and numbers that you can point to if you're right. Since the end of 2009, how many manufacturing jobs have we lost? Surely you know.

    The manufacturing industry took a huge hit in the mid 90s and was in decline until 2010. Since then, we've had gains every year. But don't believe me, believe a reputable news organization. Again, in the last 5 years, the US has had growth in manufacturing, Canada has not. Here's another article which challenges everything you're saying.

    EDIT: I remembered that you didn't actually read the article in the OP, so I shouldn't expect you to read these articles. I'll quote the most essential part:

    Some quick data:

    Manufacturing: Still Waiting for a True Recovery | Alliance for American Manufacturing

    Jobs Graph.JPG

  2. #82
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I don't share your opinion about manufacturing jobs not coming back. I have owned manufacturing businesses for over 35 years and I can tell you from experience offshoring production is a difficult and costly business. The picture one has of some kind of foreign sweatshop banging out cheap components by people making pennies a day is a false one, by and large.
    So you're saying that the boom in China and India is a figment of our imagination and that for the most part the workers are paid quite well?

    The trick is trying to get this production back into the US in an affordable manner, while minimizing the regulatory barriers that have been set up by overstepping state and federal agencies.
    Exactly. Like those environmental pricks who don't want their water and air polluted. Or those jerks who want to protect the welfare of the working public. China does not have 'em, so why should we!!1!!!111!


    We are in the beginning stages of the next industrial revolution, a revolution involving energy, and it seems the government along with a multitude of regulatory agencies are doing everything they can to ensure the US does not participate in this revolution.
    Exactly!1!1 'Merica should hire Chinese consultants and learn a thing or two.

    Rest assured, manufacturing will eventually make it's way back to the US when the cost of oil will exceed the savings of the Asian sweatshops.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  3. #83
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    So you're saying that the boom in China and India is a figment of our imagination and that for the most part the workers are paid quite well?



    Exactly. Like those environmental pricks who don't want their water and air polluted. Or those jerks who want to protect the welfare of the working public. China does not have 'em, so why should we!!1!!!111!




    Exactly!1!1 'Merica should hire Chinese consultants and learn a thing or two.

    Rest assured, manufacturing will eventually make it's way back to the US when the cost of oil will exceed the savings of the Asian sweatshops.

    You demagogue quite well. Thanks for another example of why such people should be ignored.

  4. #84
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If it was up to me I would just remove the subsidies and all taxation towards gas. Of course, that might be too much of a shock to the system since I'm pretty sure gasoline is not actually marketable at it's unsubsidized rate.


    Subsidies are a large part of the US problem. Washington needs to get the oil companies off the public tit
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  5. #85
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,475

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    That's about the most scumbaggiest thing I've ever read in this forum.
    Thank you for that intelligent response.

    How an opinion can be "scumbag" is beyond me and I suspect you are simply evading the name calling rules.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #86
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    You demagogue quite well. Thanks for another example of why such people should be ignored.
    I think my points were salient. Stop deflecting and tell me how North American can compete with Chinese and Indian sweatshops.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  7. #87
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Oh, look, your chart goes only until 2009. I repeatedly said that manufacturing lost jobs from the mid/late 90s until the end of 2009, and is rebounding now. If you actually read your link (what's the deal with you and not reading things?) it says the same thing. The current trend is growth. Again, I ask you, if our manufacturing industry is growing, and canada's in in decline, how can you attribute our declining middle class to manufacturing?

    If you were right, our middle class would be growing stronger and canada's would be getting weaker throughout the last 5 years. Your argument has been completely busted.
    A working class hero is something to be

  8. #88
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I think my points were salient. Stop deflecting and tell me how North American can compete with Chinese and Indian sweatshops.
    No point to do so. Although you may be an exception, it's been my experience demagogues are rarely swayed by facts. Based on the content and tone of your piece, I'm going to err on the side of economy, and not waste my "breath"


  9. #89
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Oh, look, your chart goes only until 2009. I repeatedly said that manufacturing lost jobs from the mid/late 90s until the end of 2009, and is rebounding now.
    Rebounding...

    So, at the rate you're applauding, as the data suggests, perhaps by 2060 we will once again have job numbers in manufacturing equal to those seen in January 2000.

    I'm afraid that's probably not going to do the trick.

  10. #90
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    No point to do so. Although you may be an exception, it's been my experience demagogues are rarely swayed by facts. Based on the content and tone of your piece, I'm going to err on the side of economy, and not waste my "breath"

    You've presented no facts. What does that make you?
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •