Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 114

Thread: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

  1. #11
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    It's ironic that your conclusion appears to be in stark contrast to what the article - and the facts - say. You want a stronger middle class? Then vote for the liberals, dude. The rich in America are better off than anywhere else in the world. On the other hand, the middle class need access to education and health care at a cost they can afford, which is something that other countries are accomplishing. But we aren't.
    How would voting for liberals help the middle class?

    I thought the ACA gave everyone access to affordable healthcare?

  2. #12
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Hardly a surprise at all saying many posters on DP think it's perfectly acceptable to pay the lowest wages possible.

  3. #13
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I'm a little confused as to how you came to that conclusion.

    First, did you actually read the article? Or just the headline? Allow me to quote:



    The second reason it cites is that the most productive companies are contributing wealth mostly to its top executives, and that the cash flow isn't making its way to the middle class. Unions are declining and our minimum wage is lower than in many other countries, including the ones gaining ground on us. The third reason is the the United States, despite favorite Republican talking points, does not redistribute wealth like Western European countries do, which hurts middle and lower class families.

    It's ironic that your conclusion appears to be in stark contrast to what the article - and the facts - say. You want a stronger middle class? Then vote for the liberals, dude. The rich in America are better off than anywhere else in the world. On the other hand, the middle class need access to education and health care at a cost they can afford, which is something that other countries are accomplishing. But we aren't.
    These conclusions are absurd and completely ignore the primary basis for the changes. At the heart of the matter is the dramatic loss in manufacturing jobs in the United States. Until we address this fact with honest conversations and actions, the transition to servicing other countries products will continue.

    The first place to start, which continues to be ignored, is the intense regulatory environment we ask small business to operate in. What typically happens is the demagogues step in and start a finger pointing session that includes words like greed and exploitation, with massive doses of "shipping jobs overseas" thrown in. In response to honest hardworking businesspeople seeking relief we get narratives from the regulators that suggest those seeking help want a business environment void of any regulation at all. Oh what a barren landscape they paint! Blade Runner gone wild.

    The bottom line is, it is impossible to create middle class wealth by earning a portion of what is charged per hour to process paperwork, or fix a computer. Until we can once again generate good wages across a broad line of manufactured goods, it will be nothing but meaningless words, empty promises, and pointless accusations.

    The rich will always be rich, Dude.

  4. #14
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How would voting for liberals help the middle class?

    I thought the ACA gave everyone access to affordable healthcare?
    That's not entirely true. There are a lot of families that have to pay a ridiculous premium under Obamacare. They were paying a ridiculous premium before the ACA and depending on how much they make, they could certainly be paying even more now. That's for middle class families, of course. The ACA does a tremendous amount of good for those impoverished people who you contend don't need help.

    I don't like to talk about Obamacare without mentioning how incredible it has been for me. I pay about 75% less than I used to and have better coverage. I see a doctor a minimum of 3 times a month, and I will probably continue to do so for the next 50 years, so I'm quite pleased with the bill. But it's two steps in the right direction and one step in the wrong direction.

    Education is a different matter. To get an education at a public institution, you have to pay 40% more than you had to 10 years ago. For a public institution, tuition has gone up about 30% in that same time frame. That's after adjustment for inflation. If we want to have an advanced society, you shouldn't have to spend your entire life paying back student loans. It's just absurd. Judging by the other thread, you seem to have a rather poor understanding of how difficult it is to take the "right" path in this day and age.
    A working class hero is something to be

  5. #15
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    These conclusions are absurd and completely ignore the primary basis for the changes. At the heart of the matter is the dramatic loss in manufacturing jobs in the United States. Until we address this fact with honest conversations and actions, the transition to servicing other countries products will continue.

    The first place to start, which continues to be ignored, is the intense regulatory environment we ask small business to operate in. What typically happens is the demagogues step in and start a finger pointing session that includes words like greed and exploitation, with massive doses of "shipping jobs overseas" thrown in. In response to honest hardworking businesspeople seeking relief we get narratives from the regulators that suggest those seeking help want a business environment void of any regulation at all. Oh what a barren landscape they paint! Blade Runner gone wild.

    The bottom line is, it is impossible to create middle class wealth by earning a portion of what is charged per hour to process paperwork, or fix a computer. Until we can once again generate good wages across a broad line of manufactured goods, it will be nothing but meaningless words, empty promises, and pointless accusations.

    The rich will always be rich, Dude.
    What you're ignoring is the fact that economic growth in the United States is stable, and is equal to or better than the other countries mentioned in this article. The US leads the world in income from manufacturing jobs. Well, that was true until 2011, when China topped us, but China has a slight advantage in terms of its gigantic population. Manufacturing has improved in recent years, as well. There were plenty of jobs lost due to outsourcing, but the money never stopped flowing. You are right, though, that the money from the manufacturing industry started increasingly flowing to rich people, executives, and the Koch Brothers.

    Still, other countries - Canada is a good one to mention - has a growing middle class whose median income has exceeded the median income in the United States. Yet Canada's manufacturing industry isn't growing any faster than ours. Their manufacturing jobs have actually been decreasing.

    So our manufacturing industry is getting larger, and Canada's is getting smaller. And yet their median income now exceeds ours. I believe your argument has been busted, sir.
    A working class hero is something to be

  6. #16
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    The ACA does a tremendous amount of good for those impoverished people who you contend don't need help.
    I challenge you to find one post from me where I made any such statement. I said no such thing about impoverished people.

    I'll wait for the post where I said poor people don't need help.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I challenge you to find one post from me where I made any such statement. I said no such thing about impoverished people.

    I'll wait for the post where I said poor people don't need help.
    I was inferring. You had several posts about how all people have equal opportunity to succeed. Therefore, one can infer from that belief that impoverished people, who have the same chance of success as anybody else, do not require help.

    I'll wait for the logic that contradicts my conclusions about your beliefs.
    A working class hero is something to be

  8. #18
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    I was inferring. You had several posts about how all people have equal opportunity to succeed. Therefore, one can infer from that belief that impoverished people, who have the same chance of success as anybody else, do not require help.

    I'll wait for the logic that contradicts my conclusions about your beliefs.
    If you "inferred" that from my posts about a subject that had nothing to do with the ACA, that's on you. People who don't know what people think shouldn't pretend to be mindreaders over the internet.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If you "inferred" that from my posts about a subject that had nothing to do with the ACA, that's on you. People who don't know what people think shouldn't pretend to be mindreaders over the internet.
    So using logic to infer is a supernatural occurrence to you?

    Magnets, bro, how do they work?
    A working class hero is something to be

  10. #20
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    So using logic to infer is a supernatural occurrence to you?

    Magnets, bro, how do they work?
    I'm not your "bro", and you put words in my mouth about the ACA that I never posted. You even admitted I never posted them.

    If you would like to know my thoughts on the ACA and how it helps the poor people, I would suggest you go into the ACA section and read my posts. I state repeatedly in there that the ACA is a great entitlement for those who need it, and say repeatedly that there are millions in this nation who need help paying for their healthcare insurance.

    I detest when people are dishonest, which is exactly what you just were, and I called you out on it.

    Now have a nice night.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •