Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 114

Thread: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

  1. #91
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    You've presented no facts. What does that make you?
    Smart.

  2. #92
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Rebounding...

    So, at the rate you're applauding, as the data suggests, perhaps by 2060 we will once again have job numbers in manufacturing equal to those seen in January 2000.

    I'm afraid that's probably not going to do the trick.
    The trick? What trick? You're acting like I've been arguing that our manufacturing industry is thriving and strong as it has ever been. That's not my argument, my argument is simple. If manufacturing job creation isn't helping our middle class grow, then you are wrong. There's nothing more to it. If manufacturing job decline isn't hurting Canada's middle class, it's more evidence you're wrong. You can change the subject all you want, but you made a claim, I then provided evidence proving you were wrong. And you don't read anything, not even links that you provide. Why do I waste my time?

    The article in the OP cited three reasons that our middle class is currently in decline, and you've said nothing to convince me that any of their conclusions were incorrect. The United States continues to see economic growth, but with weakening labor unions and absurdly lopsided wealth distribution, the middle class aren't seeing the fruits of this growth. And a few million jobs created in the manufacturing industry would certainly help the people who obtain those jobs, but it doesn't change the root of the problem.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Thank you for that intelligent response.
    You're welcome.

    Perhaps you could explain why you advocate economic warfare against the working class via increasing the price of fuel.

  4. #94
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    The trick? What trick? You're acting like I've been arguing that our manufacturing industry is thriving and strong as it has ever been. That's not my argument, my argument is simple. If manufacturing job creation isn't helping our middle class grow, then you are wrong. There's nothing more to it. If manufacturing job decline isn't hurting Canada's middle class, it's more evidence you're wrong. You can change the subject all you want, but you made a claim, I then provided evidence proving you were wrong. And you don't read anything, not even links that you provide. Why do I waste my time?

    The article in the OP cited three reasons that our middle class is currently in decline, and you've said nothing to convince me that any of their conclusions were incorrect. The United States continues to see economic growth, but with weakening labor unions and absurdly lopsided wealth distribution, the middle class aren't seeing the fruits of this growth. And a few million jobs created in the manufacturing industry would certainly help the people who obtain those jobs, but it doesn't change the root of the problem.
    There is no equivalence to Canada, so I don't know where this correlation is coming from. As the data indicates, and as I claimed, the US has lost millions and millions of manufacturing jobs. We are not even close to recovering a fraction of those jobs.

    These jobs were at the heart of the middle class. However, both Union and government regulatory pressure drove those jobs out of the country. They continue to keep that lid in place. Fortunately, the union part of the equation has pretty much self imploded on itself, as it deserved. The government side of the problem continues unabated, with little hope of curtailment in the short term. That needs to be addressed.

    Again, with the US shift to a service economy, the middle class will be hard pressed to gain any traction, since it will be limited to earning incomes based on fractions of what people are willing to pay per hour for servicing other countries products.

  5. #95
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    The third reason is the the United States, despite favorite Republican talking points, does not redistribute wealth like Western European countries do, which hurts middle and lower class families.

    It's ironic that your conclusion appears to be in stark contrast to what the article - and the facts - say. You want a stronger middle class? Then vote for the liberals, dude. The rich in America are better off than anywhere else in the world. On the other hand, the middle class need access to education and health care at a cost they can afford, which is something that other countries are accomplishing. But we aren't.
    Correction. We do redistribute wealth. We distribute it from the middle class to the top .01%. The people who hold all the assets benefit from the current political landscape. Loopholes galore for the uber wealthy. Its easy to not pay taxes when you are ultra wealthy. Why do you think the tax code is so large and confusing? Voting for liberals or rinos are the death of the middle class. Its only more status quo with each side.
    Last edited by JRSaindo; 04-24-14 at 04:37 PM.

  6. #96
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    There is no equivalence to Canada, so I don't know where this correlation is coming from. As the data indicates, and as I claimed, the US has lost millions and millions of manufacturing jobs. We are not even close to recovering a fraction of those jobs.

    These jobs were at the heart of the middle class. However, both Union and government regulatory pressure drove those jobs out of the country. They continue to keep that lid in place. Fortunately, the union part of the equation has pretty much self imploded on itself, as it deserved. The government side of the problem continues unabated, with little hope of curtailment in the short term. That needs to be addressed.

    Again, with the US shift to a service economy, the middle class will be hard pressed to gain any traction, since it will be limited to earning incomes based on fractions of what people are willing to pay per hour for servicing other countries products.
    Wow. You should really read the article. Let me point something important out to you: you don't know what we're talking about. The correlation to Canada would make sense if YOU READ THE ARTICLE! Instead of responding to me, just read the article. Go to the original post and click on the link.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #97
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    What you're ignoring is the fact that economic growth in the United States is stable, and is equal to or better than the other countries mentioned in this article. The US leads the world in income from manufacturing jobs. Well, that was true until 2011, when China topped us, but China has a slight advantage in terms of its gigantic population. Manufacturing has improved in recent years, as well. There were plenty of jobs lost due to outsourcing, but the money never stopped flowing. You are right, though, that the money from the manufacturing industry started increasingly flowing to rich people, executives, and the Koch Brothers.

    Still, other countries - Canada is a good one to mention - has a growing middle class whose median income has exceeded the median income in the United States. Yet Canada's manufacturing industry isn't growing any faster than ours. Their manufacturing jobs have actually been decreasing.

    So our manufacturing industry is getting larger, and Canada's is getting smaller. And yet their median income now exceeds ours. I believe your argument has been busted, sir.
    Explain to me how the manufacturing industry's money flows to the Koch Brothers? You specifically named them for a reason. Show me where you read this dishonest information. Do you know that the Koch company I work for reinvests over 90% of revenues back into the company? What publicly traded company does this?

    The slander out there against the Kochs is insane. They make money because they invest in the LONG term. They invest in things that create value for society. Koch Industries is one of the most successful companies in the US, and its not from being dishonest sleazeballs like lots of liberals would love to be true. It is a private company so they don't have to answer to shareholders and worry about short term money interests.

    Money flows to rich people because they have money to play with. You are talking out of your anus sir. Do some more research before you spread more dishonesty.

  8. #98
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Wow. You should really read the article. Let me point something important out to you: you don't know what we're talking about. The correlation to Canada would make sense if YOU READ THE ARTICLE! Instead of responding to me, just read the article. Go to the original post and click on the link.
    LOL.

    Let me point something important out to you. You don't know what you're "talking" about. I read the article, and the articles. I stand by my statements.

    I guess we will just leave it at that.

    Thank for your opinions.

  9. #99
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,453

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    You're welcome.

    Perhaps you could explain why you advocate economic warfare against the working class via increasing the price of fuel.


    Sometimes no amount of explanation is going to change anything; in this case as you perceive "warfare" it's a hopeless cause. As is reading any of your posts
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: The American Middle Class Is No Longer the World’s Richest

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Sometimes no amount of explanation is going to change anything


    In other words, you have no reasonable explanation to support your position.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •