Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 277

Thread: New York does away with Electoral College

  1. #91
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    41,001

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    They won't reach 270.
    Yea they will. They are 61% there already.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #92
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Doesnt the winner-take-all system of the electorial college disenfranchise people that live in solid blue or red states if they vote opposite of their states leanings?

  3. #93
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    14,037

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Video @:[/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_35DiUNLZI
    More found @: New York joins campaign to end Electoral College role in presidential elections - NY Daily News

    Honestly, I think we should get rid of the electoral college. I believe it only makes sense. If we are a democracy, why not be a democracy that elects its highest leader? I mean it only makes sense.. I mean I know what some people are going to say, "hey we arent a democracy, we are a republic!". But you can be a republic and a democracy at the same time. The electoral college is outdated and irrational with our political climate and system.
    the original idea was to never be a direct democracy,but a representative democracy.part of the reason for the electoral college was because without it politicians would only campaign nationwide instead of in different locals.the issue is that cities hold large amounts of population,therefore politicians will cater to big cities and igore rural america.

    the electoral college has worked fine,the only issue i have is winner take all states,making a 51 to 49 vote mean that 49 dont count,rather than granting electoral votes based off precinct.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  4. #94
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    the original idea was to never be a direct democracy,but a representative democracy.part of the reason for the electoral college was because without it politicians would only campaign nationwide instead of in different locals.the issue is that cities hold large amounts of population,therefore politicians will cater to big cities and igore rural america.

    the electoral college has worked fine,the only issue i have is winner take all states,making a 51 to 49 vote mean that 49 dont count,rather than granting electoral votes based off precinct.
    Maybe it should be by precinct, but that's up to the individual states to decide for themselves, not for other states to force them to do it.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  5. #95
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    14,037

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    Maybe it should be by precinct, but that's up to the individual states to decide for themselves, not for other states to force them to do it.
    quite true its up to the states,my point was its orignal intent was to balance power between urban and rural,but winner takes all basically diminishes that power,,and isnt too far away from mob rule of direct democracy.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  6. #96
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently in PR
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,356

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Why is it that some people think the Constitution is a document that GIVES power rather than LIMITING power?

    All power in this country as stated in the Constitution resides in the several states and the people. There are certain VERY LIMITED and enumerated powers that are bestowed BY THE PEOPLE to the Federal government via the Constitution. Bestowed, which means the PEOPLE can take them back by Constitutional Amendment.

    The Electoral College is and has been a barracked against tyranny. The States make up the Union, not the other way around. Each state determines how it will allocate its Electors to the Electoral College vote. Some states are all or nothing; the candidate that gets the majority of the popular votes gets all the electoral votes. Some states are proportional; each candidate getting a representative number of electoral votes.

    The Electoral College is a key part of our country and its basic make-up. Any state that votes to cede its power to the Federal Government or voters from other states deserves exactly what it will get in return - irrelevancy.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  7. #97
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Democracy is simply a step toward totalitarianism. The sad part is that most people won't realize that we've stepped off that cliff even after we hit bottom.
    If the wacky-do electoral college system is all that stands between you and totalitarianism, you're already doomed.
    "How do I know what I think 'till I hear what I say?"
    -DJ Trump-

  8. #98
    Reactor Janitor
    Joby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,276

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    If we got rid of the electoral college candidates would only need to actively run in California, Texas, New York, and Florida. The rest of the country will no longer matter.
    And a voter in California will finally be equal to a voter in Wyoming. Secondly, the Republicans in California would have a reason to vote.

    You may recall that the direct election of Senators is a relatively recent thing. It may also be pure coincidence but it also came hot on the heels of the 16th amendment. That was one hell of a year for the expansion of the federal government, wouldn't you say?
    You make it sound like this was a bad thing.

    There is absolutely no reason to have 6 New England states. The overlaps in administration, differing taxes, different building and licensing codes, different education systems, inefficient road planning...Just because something was decided in the 18th century doesn't mean that changing it will bring totalitarianism.

    Democracy is simply a step toward totalitarianism. The sad part is that most people won't realize that we've stepped off that cliff even after we hit bottom.
    Substitute "technology" for "democracy" and you're amish.
    down for you is up

  9. #99
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,288

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    Doesnt the winner-take-all system of the electorial college disenfranchise people that live in solid blue or red states if they vote opposite of their states leanings?
    shhhhhhh, thats different
    as far as "presidential" voting goes i would be fine with a one for on popular vote.

    now would i want all government to run this way, of course not because that is severly different but im fine with "elections" being most votes
    Quote Originally Posted by MateoMtnClimber View Post
    Yes, gay people absolutely have the right to infringe on other people's religious rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.

  10. #100
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,205

    Re: New York does away with Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    These are the States that voted for the National Popular Vote Interstate agreement so far...

    1 Maryland 10 April 10, 2007
    2 New Jersey 14 January 13, 2008
    3 Illinois 20 April 7, 2008
    4 Hawaii 4 May 1, 2008
    5 Washington 12 April 28, 2009
    6 Massachusetts 11 August 4, 2010
    7 District of Columbia 3 December 7, 2010
    8 Vermont 3 April 22, 2011
    9 California 55 August 8, 2011
    10 Rhode Island 4 July 12, 2013
    11 New York 29 April 15, 2014

    Now class ... can anyone tell me what they immediately notice about this list?
    9 of the states haven't actually implemented what they are agreeing too. They refuse to actually implement it until "enough" other states join this pseudo-suicide pact. If they truly believe that the national vote to determine the allocation of their states electoral votes, then why wait, just do it.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •