Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Two months after promising a new era of transparency at the nation's intelligence agencies, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper has slammed the door on media access with a sweeping new order last month that bans nearly all unauthorized contact with reporters.The intelligence community directive Clapper issued on March 20 applies to all "contact with the media about intelligence-related information, including intelligence sources, methods, activities, and judgments," regardless of whether they are classified. Violations will be handled at a minimum as a security violation and may be referred to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution, according to the memo.
    The directive states that its purpose is "to mitigate risks of unauthorized disclosures of intelligence-related matters." Covered agencies include the CIA and National Security Agency.
    Clapper quietly issued the directive last month in a move first reported Monday on the Federation of American Scientists' Secrecy News website.
    The nation's leading newspaper trade group said the directive appears to be a worrying end-run around Congress, where controversial efforts to pass a similar banwere dropped in 2012.


    Read more @: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Well so much for bringing that new era of "transparency to our intelligence services" Clapper should of gotten the boot or resigned a long time ago for essentially lying under oath. Time for you to go bud.


  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Well so much for bringing that new era of "transparency to our intelligence services" Clapper should of gotten the boot or resigned a long time ago for essentially lying under oath. Time for you to go bud. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I believe our federal Congress should have to justify wartime tax rates to the electorate of the United States, to exercise war time powers.

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Well so much for bringing that new era of "transparency to our intelligence services" Clapper should of gotten the boot or resigned a long time ago for essentially lying under oath. Time for you to go bud. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I don't have any problem with this, actually. If you work for HP, you can't interview with the press as representing HP; and you'd better damned well not divulge potentially damaging or proprietary information to your buddy with the Washington Post. I'd think this stuff goes without saying really.

    What this means, as I read it, is that one can most certainly still share their information with WAPO, as an example, but he may lose his job. Not a bit unlike Corporate America.

  4. #4
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't have any problem with this, actually. If you work for HP, you can't interview with the press as representing HP; and you'd better damned well not divulge potentially damaging or proprietary information to your buddy with the Washington Post. I'd think this stuff goes without saying really.

    What this means, as I read it, is that one can most certainly still share their information with WAPO, as an example, but he may lose his job. Not a bit unlike Corporate America.
    Which rules out that "Transparency" Clapper the liar, was promising.


  5. #5
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Which rules out that "Transparency" Clapper the liar, was promising.
    Not at all. Transparency should come from the top -- not agents in the field. Much ado about nothing.

  6. #6
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Not at all. Transparency should come from the top -- not agents in the field. Much ado about nothing.
    Really? I wonder hows that worked out in the past? No wonder we need whistleblowers because it essentially never happens.


  7. #7
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Really? I wonder hows that worked out in the past? No wonder we need whistleblowers because it essentially never happens.
    How WHAT has worked out in the past??

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    How WHAT has worked out in the past??
    "Transparency coming from the top"


  9. #9
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Well so much for bringing that new era of "transparency to our intelligence services" Clapper should of gotten the boot or resigned a long time ago for essentially lying under oath. Time for you to go bud. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    How come Obama hasn't nipped this in the bud, ya think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: James Clapper Bans Intelligence Community From 'Unauthorized' Media Contacts

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Which rules out that "Transparency" Clapper the liar, was promising.
    What about all that, "transparency", that Obama promised?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •