Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 232

Thread: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

  1. #141
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Is this a fair summary of your position?
    The summary of my argument was your gross over-generalization and broad claim of both sides was innaccurate.

    That is a fair summary of an EXAMPLE I gave where many liberals support making an action that harms no one illegal.

  2. #142
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    What the university students did is tame. Canada just arrested the guy yesterday, "LaBarbera was arrested and charged on Monday, along with a Saskatchewan man who was also on campus trying to distribute literature about the 'evils of homosexuality.'" He spent the night in jail and now has a court hearing in May. I wonder if he'll respect Canada's rule of law or if he'll bounce and skip the hearing.

    Anti-gay activist Peter LaBarbera heading home to U.S. - Saskatchewan - CBC News
    Arrested for passing out literature. That just seems so wrong to me.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #143
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I wonder if the people mad about this walkout were mad about the walkout below?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...165-667-a.html
    Questions like this always cut both ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yes they were being hypersensitive, just sit down and listen, you don't have to walk out acting like a child believing you can only hear stuff that makes you happy. The fact that people are offended is stupid, and makes me ****ing sad. I just wanna yank them by the collar and tell them to grow the **** up. I'm tired of people having this "oh I'm offended more" war, it lowers discourse, and keeps us from actually talking about anything with substance. **** being offended, it's stupid, gets us nowhere and is childish. We as a society need to grow the **** up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I would sit there, and probably laugh because he's so retarded, because choose to go, and I would probably try to talk to them if it was possible. The people who walked out need to grow the **** up, plain and simple. Like I said, **** being offended.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #144
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Arrested for passing out literature. That just seems so wrong to me.
    If I go look back at the history of your posts, what will I find you saying about the reverse situation in Russia?

    Do you find it wrong if gays pass out literature in Russia and are arrested?

  5. #145
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It's called "moral suasion" and it has been shown to work.

    You can mock it, if it pleases you
    They mock it because they don't want it to work, and indeed mocking it takes the edge off of it. The religious right and its sympathizers would rather there was no such thing a 'moral'-suasion right now, because they are losing the battle.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #146
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Questions like this always cut both ways.
    Later on in the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You know what, your probably right, I've been in the wrong in this thread. I just get mad when people who are actively oppressing me for my sexuality get mad at something like this. Like they are equatable, and it clouded my judgement. What the guy said was wrong, I don't even like the guy, and it was okay for the kids to walk out, even though I wouldn't have done such a thing myself. If anyone is at fault here it is the school for not asking for a transcript of what he was going to say.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #147
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If I go look back at the history of your posts, what will I find you saying about the reverse situation in Russia?

    Do you find it wrong if gays pass out literature in Russia and are arrested?
    How is that a "reverse situation"? Sounds like the exact same situation, well except that it does not surprise me about Russia. Haven't we always known that free speech is non existant there?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #148
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Later on in the thread.
    Actually there were like 3 or 4 other posts of yours bashing the kids for walking out before you decided it was just, I guess, sort of ok what the kids did. What happened to all the "**** being sensitive"? And the kids should have stayed, because that's what you would have done?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #149
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    . There seems to be some confusion among Americans about definitions.



    .
    If people would speak of conservatISM instead of conservaTIVES, then they would certainly display more acumen. Understanding a political philosophy means understanding its tenets,and treating poilitics in terms of mere identity fails to do so.

    As to your blanket statement about conservaTIVES, being behind every blah blah blah, however, I would say you are wrong. In areas such as environmental regulation and gun control,it is liberals who seek to reduce liberties. They see these as justified restrictions due to the greater good, but restricts what an individual can do nonetheless.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,192

    Re: Walkout of Anti-Gay Event

    Quote Originally Posted by darkrecess View Post
    if you are going to use your first amendment rights, you have to be willing to accept that others are going to use theirs...
    That is a no, no for those endorsing "traditional values" because such manifestations diminish the impact of their bigotry.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •