Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Showing the flag
    Ever since Russian armed forces invaded and annexed the Ukrainian province of Crimea last month, the U.S. government has struggled to find an appropriate response. Trade sanctions and visa freezes on Russian government officials could punish Russia for what it's done in Crimea. But what could the U.S. do to deter further aggression?

    This week, it appears the Obama administration hit upon its solution. It took the USS Donald Cook and sent it to Russia. Armed with new Standard Missile-3 IB weaponry from Raytheon (NYSE: RTN ) , the Cook boasts a robust version of Lockheed Martin's (NYSE: LMT ) Aegis ballistic missile defense system capable of shooting down supersonic, high-trajectory missiles such as Russia uses to carry its nuclear warheads. The warship was modified for ballistic missile defense (BMD) duty as part of a $22 billion project to build shipborne and land-based missile defense stations to protect Europe from Iranian long-range missiles. But just as President Putin predicted, it appears to have use in countering Russian threats as well.



    Departing its new base in Spain, the Cook is now en route to the Black Sea, where it will "show the flag" off the Ukrainian and Russian coasts -- a concrete demonstration to President Putin of how aggression in Crimea could bring about the very thing he fears: U.S. ballistic missile defenses set up right next to the Russian border.

    What this move does show us, though, is that the $22 billion ballistic missile defense system has wider application than it was initially planned for. It can help to contain the threat of a future Iranian nuclear missile and it can help to disarm Russia's nuclear arsenal as well.....snip~

    America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters. President Putin Presumably Not Pleased.


    Our ship arrived there yesterday. Now it will sit off the Coast of the Ukraine. Think we have Putin's attention now? What say ye?

  2. #2
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,138

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    I hadn't envisioned a time in the near future when Russia might use it's nuclear forces but, this bold move by the US might make it come sooner than expected.

    Dangerous indeed.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,233

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Showing the flag
    ..... But just as President Putin predicted, it appears to have use in countering Russian threats as well.....

    Putin is a genius.

    But it is a pretty nice boat. I hope he doesn't sink it.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,861

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Sometimes we learn the hard way. Its such a far cry from pleasing our enemies.
    Obama abandons missile defence shield in Europe | World news | theguardian.com

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Putin is a genius.

    But it is a pretty nice boat. I hope he doesn't sink it.
    Mornin' Jog. Yeah it is.....and one that will catch Putin's attention.




    US warship USS Donald-Cook sails through the Bosphorus in Istanbul, Turkey, on April 10, 2014 (AFP Photo/Bulent Kilic)

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Sometimes we learn the hard way. Its such a far cry from pleasing our enemies.
    Obama abandons missile defence shield in Europe | World news | theguardian.com
    I don't recall where in Russia's actions against Ukraine that having a missile shield would have helped.

  7. #7
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Showing the flag
    Ever since Russian armed forces invaded and annexed the Ukrainian province of Crimea last month, the U.S. government has struggled to find an appropriate response. Trade sanctions and visa freezes on Russian government officials could punish Russia for what it's done in Crimea. But what could the U.S. do to deter further aggression?

    This week, it appears the Obama administration hit upon its solution. It took the USS Donald Cook and sent it to Russia. Armed with new Standard Missile-3 IB weaponry from Raytheon (NYSE: RTN ) , the Cook boasts a robust version of Lockheed Martin's (NYSE: LMT ) Aegis ballistic missile defense system capable of shooting down supersonic, high-trajectory missiles such as Russia uses to carry its nuclear warheads. The warship was modified for ballistic missile defense (BMD) duty as part of a $22 billion project to build shipborne and land-based missile defense stations to protect Europe from Iranian long-range missiles. But just as President Putin predicted, it appears to have use in countering Russian threats as well.



    Departing its new base in Spain, the Cook is now en route to the Black Sea, where it will "show the flag" off the Ukrainian and Russian coasts -- a concrete demonstration to President Putin of how aggression in Crimea could bring about the very thing he fears: U.S. ballistic missile defenses set up right next to the Russian border.

    What this move does show us, though, is that the $22 billion ballistic missile defense system has wider application than it was initially planned for. It can help to contain the threat of a future Iranian nuclear missile and it can help to disarm Russia's nuclear arsenal as well.....snip~

    America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters. President Putin Presumably Not Pleased.


    Our ship arrived there yesterday. Now it will sit off the Coast of the Ukraine. Think we have Putin's attention now? What say ye?
    I think that the Russians have some pretty sophisticated equipment and probably one silent sub just sitting quietly to defend against just such a weapon. I'm not impressed. The USA has used covert actions in Ukraine to cause this entire embroglio and apparently so the Central banks with loans to Ukraine won't find themselves holding worthless paper when Ukriane bankrupts. We truthfully need to cooperate with Russia helping Ukraine, because Russia is the only player that has a demonstrated record of helping Ukraine at an economic loss to Russia. The Military/Industrial/Corporate marketing gives the old "rah, rah, cis boom bah," for anything that creates markets. War is a business in the USA. To do more business you have to create opportunities and if your business is war and fear, this is a marketing bonanza. Wowser! Save the "too big to fail, too big to prosecute" banks from taking losses, and make War business boom, why it's just CORPORATISM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    I hadn't envisioned a time in the near future when Russia might use it's nuclear forces but, this bold move by the US might make it come sooner than expected.

    Dangerous indeed.
    Mornin' WCH. Well at least Biden will have some cover since he is going over there on the 22nd. Team O warned Russia not to invade while Biden is there.

  9. #9
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Putin is a genius.

    But it is a pretty nice boat. I hope he doesn't sink it.
    That's my chuckle for the morning.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  10. #10
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: America Sends Missile-Destroying Warship Into Russian Waters.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin' WCH. Well at least Biden will have some cover since he is going over there on the 22nd. Team O warned Russia not to invade while Biden is there.
    Heh. What a good excuse for Biden to just stay there. Could be a new home for him. Maybe we should send Carter too.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •