Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 138

Thread: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,340

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    The bill is just creating transparency. It doesn't matter if it's illegal if no one is aware it's taking place.

    Honestly all salaries should be public information for all individuals. If anything it would lead to a truly fair and competitive labor market.
    Honestly salaries and total compensation shouldn't. Other than myself and my employer, it is nobodies business what we have negotiated as compensation.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    for every dollar a male employee earns, a female in the same job should earn the same salary for doing the same amount of work.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,340

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Compensation does not equate salary.
    I don't understand your argument. Compensation is total cost to the employer and includes but is not limited to salary or any other factors. Other factors would include vacation time, health care, cost of government compliance, etc.
    The only question to an employer is whether a costs of the hire is less than the income generated. Failing that, the employee does not get hired.

  4. #84
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,171

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, in order to use a more effective means of taking peoples income than doing it all on April 15. What better way than to force employers into labor and take peoples income all year long. Not only is it more effective, but it also allows you to take more than you otherwise could.
    Yeah because we were fighting a war for survival. So how much does your no tax personal freedom view help when the other side is willing to pool all their resources in order to win the war?

    Nonsense. Even if the prices of consumer goods are expected to fall, people will still consume goods, and in order to do so, business will need to spend in the present on investment to ensure the flow of consumer goods into the future.
    Hoarding occurs during periods of deflation. Of course people still need to eat, cloth themselves, and have shelter. When it comes to other goods people put off purchases in order to maximize what they can spend. It's pretty much proven empirically and fits with theory.

    As for future investment...once again...empirically and in theory it usually is coupled with decreased demand for goods, higher borrowing costs.

    If we consider that many market such as the computer markets live in a deflationary environment and yet are still able to sell their goods to consumers for profit it becomes clear there is no concerns of depressions or hoarding of any sort from deflation. All that occurs is goods are cheaper and people are richer for it.
    The drop in price of computer gear is generally due to both an early adopter premium and the cost savings from mass production. I also want to point out...the deflation that occurs in the technology field is generally different products. A new better one comes out and the older one decreases in value.

    I also want to point out that people do wait. You have some that buy the new Iphone on day one as a status symbol while a lot of people wait for it to drop in value.

    My choice at the moment would be a legislated rule instructing the monetary authority to achieve a specified rate of growth in the stock of money. I would specify that the Reserve System shall see to it that the total stock of money so defined rises month by month, and indeed, so far as possible, day by day, at an annual rate of X%, where X is some number between 3 and 5
    .

    Sure...and that is pretty much the range in real GDP growth.

    Standard Oil grew because of government assistance. On the point of oil however, the only reason oil is still marketable is because of government subsidy. Otherwise, the price would be too high for the market to handle and the oil companies would run out of business.
    How so? They pretty much used a lot of practices that now are illegal...predatory pricing to undercut competitors, buying up all the supplies needed to operate in order to great scarcity for competitors, negotiating with other industries that supported the manufacturing of oil to get special deals, buying up all their competitors etc.

    They would need to grow to a certain size to be able to use predatory pricing, which in a free market would not be possible.
    Not sure why you say this. There is always efficiency in scale and there will always be companies that are better than their competitors. Wal-Mart grew to their size in a free market did they not? How about Apple?

    It is up to individuals in question what information they will share. I'm sorry that I don't support forced labor like you, but yeah, I don't.
    Yeah...and those individuals will always hold back information that benefits themselves in a transaction. That's reality.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #85
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    for every dollar a male employee earns, a female in the same job should earn the same salary for doing the same amount of work.
    Add in being on the job the same amount of time and doing the job as well.

  6. #86
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,171

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Honestly salaries and total compensation shouldn't. Other than myself and my employer, it is nobodies business what we have negotiated as compensation.
    Cool story...have fun wallowing in ignorance
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #87
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Add in being on the job the same amount of time and doing the job as well.
    a woman should not suffer lower pay just because she had to go through pregnancy.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  8. #88
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    a woman should not suffer lower pay just because she had to go through pregnancy.
    Wow, that's some subtle sexism right there.

  9. #89
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    How does this bill give more opportunity to sue, if pay practices are fair? It's a genuine question.
    It's already illegal to discriminate in pay based on sex. This though doesn't mean that pay won't be different between men and women who do the same job and that's not because of the employer's actions, it's because of the employees.

    Here's an example:

    In a dramatic illustration of this, the authors describe a recent study showing the starting salaries of female Carnegie Mellon MBA graduates as almost $4,000 less than male graduates of the same school.

    Why? "Only 7 percent of the female students had negotiated (their salary) but 57 percent ... of the men had asked for more money." Those who negotiated, be it men or women, increased their starting salary by just over $4,000.

    Male and female job candidates are offered the same starting salary. Almost all of the women accepted the offer made. Over half of the men rejected the offer and asked for more. The men, through their own initiative, and 7% of the women too, extracted another $4,000 per year from their employer. It's not he employer's fault that women don't like to negotiate.

  10. #90
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Senate Republicans Block Paycheck Fairness Act For Third Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    If you are confident of your position on this issue, I'd like to ask that you give me your best source for it, as my personal research has failed to turn up anything useful.
    There is a mountain of literature on this. Search for scholarly articles in the labor economic literature. The trouble is that there really isn't ONE SOURCE which puts everything together for you.

    Here's one piece of the puzzle:

    The analysis was prepared by Andrew A. Beveridge, a demographer at Queens College, who first reported his findings in Gotham Gazette, published online by the Citizens Union Foundation. It shows that women of all educational levels from 21 to 30 living in New York City and working full time made 117 percent of men’s wages, and even more in Dallas, 120 percent. Nationwide, that group of women made much less: 89 percent of the average full-time pay for men. . . .

    “Citified college-women are more likely to be nonmarried and childless, compared with their suburban sisters, so they can and do devote themselves to their careers,” said Andrew Hacker, a Queens College sociologist and the author of “Mismatch: The Growing Gulf Between Men and Women.”

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •