Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    While the United States continues to debate metadata collection conducted in secret by the National Security Agency, the European Union has been openly collecting the same sort of data for eight years.

    In the wake of terrorist attacks in Madrid (2004) and London (2005), the European Union passed a directive in 2006 requiring that all telecommunications providers retain all kinds of telephone and Internet metadata for at least six months and provide it to law enforcement upon request.

    According to a ruling handed down Tuesday by the European Court of Justice, that directive is now invalid.
    In other news, the US has given Europe our constitution, since we weren't using it anyways.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    So it is no longer invalid, no longer in use?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    In other news, the US has given Europe our constitution, since we weren't using it anyways.

    Article is here.
    It's not quite that easy.

    This article is better suited to the needs of the discussion.
    The EU's ongoing battle over data retention | Europe | DW.DE | 08.04.2014

    The EU's ongoing battle over data retention
    The European Court of Justice rules that citizens' telecommunications data can be retained only in cases of severe necessity, overturning EU guidelines. The issue has proven highly controversial in Germany.
    What this did is that EU nations who have had "lax" laws regarding data privacy have to set up their national legislation to fit according to the principles of data privacy. So they need to get in line with the ruling of the court. However, this comes with a set of very distinct consequences to the cohesion of the EU. Like this:

    Greens want EU trial against Great Britain | Europe | DW.DE | 03.04.2014

    Greens want EU trial against Great Britain
    The spying scandal is at the forefront of the political agenda in Germany again. This time, however, the focus of contempt is not the NSA but the British intelligence services' GCHQ and its "Tempora" program.
    Because the UK is a prime offender being the "inner spy" for the circle of six or whatever its' called network of spying agencies, compromising EU data privacy against the NSA.

    So you have that + the internal data collection programs that countries like France had for years now... all in all, this is a hard topic to discuss at an informed level now. Which is why I didn't post this story 2 days ago when it broke and the court ruling was given. Because there is no way to know where the chips have fallen just yet.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    So it is no longer invalid, no longer in use?
    No... the EU has no jurisdiction to control the spy agencies of EU member states.

    What the ruling has done is that it now forces, within a time limit yet to be properly established, national government to implement legislation in accordance to the ruling. So countries who have no real legislation preventing spying agencies to retain data and spy on their own citizens must implement legislation denying that power to the spy agencies and countries who have legislation that permit it, or are lax about it, must rewrite it... and countries with such legislation but who don't enforce it better start enforcing it.

    So all in all, today nothing is different than what was 2 days ago when the ruling happened. What will happen is that at national level, a lot of discussions wil be had and each country will enact its own set of legislative measures in accordance to the EU court ruling. That is, if that ruling doesn't get appealed or overturned.

    That's why I said in the above comment, lets see where the chips fall because the ruling, in and of itself, is just a principle which is honorable, true, but until it gets put in practice, is just talky talk.

  5. #5
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    No... the EU has no jurisdiction to control the spy agencies of EU member states.

    What the ruling has done is that it now forces, within a time limit yet to be properly established, national government to implement legislation in accordance to the ruling. So countries who have no real legislation preventing spying agencies to retain data and spy on their own citizens must implement legislation denying that power to the spy agencies and countries who have legislation that permit it, or are lax about it, must rewrite it... and countries with such legislation but who don't enforce it better start enforcing it.

    So all in all, today nothing is different than what was 2 days ago when the ruling happened. What will happen is that at national level, a lot of discussions wil be had and each country will enact its own set of legislative measures in accordance to the EU court ruling. That is, if that ruling doesn't get appealed or overturned.

    That's why I said in the above comment, lets see where the chips fall because the ruling, in and of itself, is just a principle which is honorable, true, but until it gets put in practice, is just talky talk.
    This is not correct, read the ruling... will explain later, dont have time right now.
    PeteEU

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    In other news, the US has given Europe our constitution, since we weren't using it anyways.

    Article is here.
    If you look at the activity map for Malte Spitz, you will see where he probably didn't commit the murder. It is not certain, but it is a first refute of his having been on location.

  7. #7
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,313

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    It seems the EU does it differently. Rather than having the government collect all the data and store it, the telecom companies gather the data and keep it, providing to the government only upon request.

    We should think about following their lead....

  8. #8
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: EU high court strikes down metadata collection law

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    It seems the EU does it differently. Rather than having the government collect all the data and store it, the telecom companies gather the data and keep it, providing to the government only upon request.

    We should think about following their lead....
    Metadata collection should be expressly forbidden and if the government wants information from a private company, they should have to produce a valid warrant first; and it can only be used for individual accounts, not metadata collection.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •