Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 109

Thread: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I'm never quite sure whether such stories are an attack on hypocrisy, the specific politician, the entire party, or Christian morals.
    I believe we should be able to invest in morals testing companies on a for-profit basis and not just drug testing companies.

  2. #42
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Then you need to stop criticizing others like you are a saint. Remember, "He who is without sin cast the first stone".


    that's always been a problem for libs, confuse instruction for criticism or judgement, and just don't like that word "No!"
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  3. #43
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I'm never quite sure whether such stories are an attack on hypocrisy, the specific politician, the entire party, or Christian morals.
    it was bait, so I hooked it...and cast...

    got a few nibbles...
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  4. #44
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,096

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    when will all you silly liberals who despise what's good and holy recognize that because someone is a Christian doesn't mean they are a Saint?
    ...of course, Christians are saints, but that is theological discussion that I am sure would be lost on 90% people on this board. That said, it is incumbent upon all Christians to walk the talk; and it is also incumbent upon our leaders to walk the talk. It is a matter of integrity. Its one thing to speak from the humility of a sinner and sin; its quite another to speak from arrogance and sin. All sin should be called out; but its particularly egregious when one take's "holier than though" positions.

  5. #45
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...of course, Christians are saints, but that is theological discussion that I am sure would be lost on 90% people on this board. That said, it is incumbent upon all Christians to walk the talk; and it is also incumbent upon our leaders to walk the talk. It is a matter of integrity. Its one thing to speak from the humility of a sinner and sin; its quite another to speak from arrogance and sin. All sin should be called out; but its particularly egregious when one take's "holier than though" positions.
    Context!

    That said, knowing right from wrong and stating it isn't being holier than thou, it's being instructive.

    Knowing right from wrong and falling short, is human.

    Christians should walk the talk, most importantly leaders (of the faith) must walk the talk. Politicians aren't that.

    All sin should be called out but all acts of sin shouldn't be "called out". Only when someone is persistent in their sinfulness should they be "called out", if they've simply fallen they should be counseled and instructed in private. They are to be put on blast when they stubbornly refuse to accept their sinfulness as sin while claiming to be that which by their acts of disobedience they clearly are not.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    when will all you silly liberals who despise what's good and holy recognize that because someone is a Christian doesn't mean they are a Saint?
    Most liberals don't think Christians are saints, but it is quote hypocritical to quote family values and then do this. I hold this solely on him and not the right, but come on man, at least admit the hypocrisy here on his part.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Context!

    That said, knowing right from wrong and stating it isn't being holier than thou, it's being instructive.

    Knowing right from wrong and falling short, is human.

    Christians should walk the talk, most importantly leaders (of the faith) must walk the talk. Politicians aren't that.

    All sin should be called out but all acts of sin shouldn't be "called out". Only when someone is persistent in their sinfulness should they be "called out", if they've simply fallen they should be counseled and instructed in private. They are to be put on blast when they stubbornly refuse to accept their sinfulness as sin while claiming to be that which by their acts of disobedience they clearly are not.
    It's funny watching you defend his actions. What a good little Republican you are. No independent though.

  8. #48
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Par for the course for Louisiana Republicans. If he only had a diaper fetish he could be a Louisiana Republican Senator someday....

    In all seriousness though, its not like Democrats don't have their share of sex scandals. The difference is the shear hypocrisy of the religious right / social conservative types when they get caught having one.
    Yup. Honestly, I expect some amount of our politicians to be bad partners. Power corrupts. And I don't necessarily think this is relevant to how good of leaders they are; some of the best weren't all that great in their personal lives.

    But there is certainly a huge layer of funny when it's someone who runs on a platform dominated by their sexual and religious morality. This isn't quite as funny as anti-gay Larry Craig getting caught cruising, but pretty funny.

  9. #49
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It's funny watching you defend his actions. What a good little Republican you are. No independent though.
    I never defended his actions.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  10. #50
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Married ‘Christian conservative’ congressman caught making out with staffer

    In my opinion, the rules that once applied in cases like this--those caught in such compromising positions--were expected to resign in disgrace and leave public service entirely. We should demand high standards of those elected to high office and require that they set an exemplary example for those who look up to them. It isn't a matter of whose sins are worse or who are the biggest hypocrites, or who we can feel all smug and morally superior to. It is a matter of what we should expect from those who represent us.

    The man or woman who would publically violate their marriage vows and/or be sneaky and deceitful in one thing can be expected to be less than trustworthy in others.

    Americans should demand better.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •