Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 192

Thread: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

  1. #181
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    I believe this should be anecdotal evidence that a one size morality fits all approach may not be in accordance with the subjective value of morals of everyone.
    Again, I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

    I don't believe Hobby Lobby is demanding their employees abstain from whichever emergency contraceptive the company doesn't support. The company just doesn't want to pay for it.

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    Sure but I'm not really sure what your point is.

    I imagine it's pretty doubtful that their employees knew they were investing in emergency contraception though.
    It may be about imposing a subjective value of morality due merely to wealth under our form of Capitalism.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by shavingcollywob View Post
    Again, I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

    I don't believe Hobby Lobby is demanding their employees abstain from whichever emergency contraceptive the company doesn't support. The company just doesn't want to pay for it.
    That is a denial and disparagement of that choice for those employees, especially if it is part of a Standard regarding fiscally responsible, ounces of prevention instead of pounds of cures.

  4. #184
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,491

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Below are the "reported facts". Some of you need to refresh your interpretations of what Hobby Lobby is doing that is contrary to their claimed religious beliefs.


    The owners of Hobby Lobby, a christian-owned craft supply chain, were so offended by the idea of having to include emergency contraceptives and intrauterine devices in their health insurance plans that they sued the obama administration and took the case all the way up to the supreme court. But mother jones reported on tuesday that the company's retirement plan has invested millions of dollars in the manufacturers of emergency contraception and drugs used to induce abortions.

    Hobby lobby's 401(k) employee retirement plan holds $73 million in mutual funds that invest in multiple pharmaceutical companies that produce emergency contraceptive pills, intrauterine devices, and abortion-inducing medications.

    The companies Hobby Lobby invests in include teva pharmaceutical industries, which makes the plan b morning-after pill and paragard, a copper iud, as well as pfizer, the maker of the abortion-inducing drugs cytotec and prostin e2. Hobby lobby's mutual funds also invest in two health insurance companies that cover surgical abortions, abortion drugs, and emergency contraception in their health care policies.


    Hobby lobby's attorneys argue that the provision in the affordable care act that requires most employers to cover contraception in their health plans infringes on the company's right to exercise religious freedom because the company's owners believe that emergency contraception and iuds are actually forms of abortion. Medical studies have debunked this claim.

    Mother jones reported that all nine of the mutual funds hobby lobby's retirement plan holds include investments that clash with the owners' religious beliefs about abortion.
    I THINK THAT HOBBY LOBBY'S HOBBY IS "HYPOCRISY!"

  5. #185
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Employees have rights, too. The employees are paying for their health insurance with their labor just as if it were wages.
    No they are not. Their time/labor is traded for their wage. There is a reason that anything else that you from your job is called a "benefit" and not direct compensation.

  6. #186
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    The owners of Hobby Lobby, a christian-owned craft supply chain, were so offended by the idea of having to include emergency contraceptives and intrauterine devices in their health insurance plans that they sued the obama administration and took the case all the way up to the supreme court.
    I believe Hobby Lobby would be more credible, if they felt the same way about the abomination of hypocrisy, in the name of the same morals instead of only human sexuality in our modern times.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...she isnt giving advice as pertaining to law. She is giving an opinion and one grounded in ideology, not supported by case law. At some point the justices will decide on this case and then there will be case law established and her opinion will be codified. If you and she have your way, a company that acted in an above responsible manner will likely (at her suggestion) cancel 15,000 employees insurance and be forced to pay the fed a 30,000,000 dollar fine. then those 15,000 employees will be left ot get and pay for insurance on their own. And in a 'win' for the administration, some of them will be new Obamacare enrollees.
    Actually, it wasn't even an opinion...it was a statement of fact. The law gives Hobby Lobby a choice, just like Sotomayer said.

  8. #188
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    No they are not. Their time/labor is traded for their wage. There is a reason that anything else that you from your job is called a "benefit" and not direct compensation.
    Their time/labor is also traded for the health insurance benefits. Millions of people only stay at their dead end jobs to get the health insurance which suggests that they are working in exchange for health insurance more than they are the wages.

    But now that they have a choice and don't have to accept lower wages in exchange for health benefits....who knows, maybe there will be a flurry of new startup businesses....especially by women.

    They quit their jobs, thanks to the health law - The Washington Post

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/ma...ties.html?_r=0

  9. #189
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,636

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Actually, it wasn't even an opinion...it was a statement of fact. The law gives Hobby Lobby a choice, just like Sotomayer said.
    Her opinion is that they should just give up the suit and pay the fine. Her belief is that a company should pay the federal government 30,000,000 to NOT insure 15,000 people. You and she would call that a 'win'.

  10. #190
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,742

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone is aware of every move made by every mutual fund they happen to invest in.

    However, once made aware I would expect Hobby Lobby to dump those mutual funds if this were really a genuine religious belief. Have they done so?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •