Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 192

Thread: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,654

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists sent a brief to the Supreme Court explaining says that the hormone in Plan B has been widely studied and "current evidence shows that it works by preventing or disrupting ovulation, but is not effective after ovulation."




    Research: Morning-after pill doesn't harm fertilized egg - Local News - lancasteronline.com

    from this article


    Contraceptive efficacy of emergency contracept... [Contraception. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

    From TIME.com


    Cecile Richards: Plan B Emergency Contraception Is Misunderstood | TIME.com
    Plan B (levonorgestrel) Information from Drugs.com

    This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.

    your information is not correct i am sorry i have posted at least 3 medical sites that contradict everything you say.

    Plan B does not allow a fertilized Egg to attach it will then basically abort itself because of it. i don't think you understand the situation.

    you are correct that it will not harm an already attached egg, but it can harm an egg that is not attached yet.

    the only one not understanding the conversation is you.

  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    do you know all the mutual funds you invest in and every company that they do?
    i am sure they are invested in energy, manufacturing and other non-green eco friendly stuff that i am sure you support. so does that mean you are a hypocrite?
    Only if I am trying to impose my subjective moral values on others; when I could be merely abstaining from that form of human sexuality in modern times.

  3. #173
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,948

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    ...Plan B does not allow a fertilized Egg to attach it will then basically abort itself because of it. i don't think you understand the situation.

    you are correct that it will not harm an already attached egg, but it can harm an egg that is not attached yet.

    the only one not understanding the conversation is you.
    You are correct plan B will not harm an attached egg.

    That is because Plan B only works before ovulation.
    If there is no fertalized egg it cannot prevent implantation and it cannot harm an attached fertilized egg.

    from:
    http://lancasteronline.com/news/loca....html?mode=jqm

    The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists sent a brief to the Supreme Court explaining says that the hormone in Plan B has been widely studied and "current evidence shows that
    it works by preventing or disrupting ovulation, but is not effective after ovulation."

    Fertilization only occurs after ovulation.
    Last edited by minnie616; 04-03-14 at 10:56 PM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  4. #174
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Purchasing a beer (or big gulp) is not an "investment" in the companies stock, it's a purchase. Just because a company pays me for work and I buy a beer on my way home that does not mean that the company bought the beer.

    No, if my employer matches a percentage of my earnings as part of my 401(k) and that income is mine. I then invest it in the funds I've selected with the Fund Manager. Once deposited into my check to be routed to my investment account it is no longer the organizations money, it's mine. So if they make a match and I invest in funds that have 7-11 as part of the portfolio then that is my money not the companies.



    >>>>
    Using similar logic, the money spent by it's employees on contraceptives, etc is not HL's money either. It is the employees money that they received as compensation for their labor, just like the money that goes into the employees 401K. So even if the insurance covers products that HL objects to, it is not an example of HL being forced to spend its' money on those products.

    Or to paraphrase what you just said "Just because a company pays me for work and I buy an abortion on my way home that does not mean that the company bought the abortion."
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #175
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,654

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Only if I am trying to impose my subjective moral values on others; when I could be merely abstaining from that form of human sexuality in modern times.
    no we are not talking about other people. if you do not support certain industries yet still invest in them through a mutual fund does that make you a hypocrit? simple yes or no question.

    it has nothing to do with someone else.

    hobby lobby isn't investing anything. they have a wide variety of funds that their employee's can invest in. medical companies make an array of drugs.
    again they don't oppose all forms of birth control just 4.

    nothing hypocritical about this. The mutual funds are controled by the fund manager. while the company gets a list of the fund companies i doubt they do that much research into
    what they make. it is the employee's that invest into the funds. not the company itself.

    you have to use a lot of twisted screwed up logic in order to say that HL is investing in these companies because they aren't. their employee's are investing into mutual funds that happen to have these companies in the fund.

  6. #176
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    no we are not talking about other people. if you do not support certain industries yet still invest in them through a mutual fund does that make you a hypocrit? simple yes or no question.

    it has nothing to do with someone else.

    hobby lobby isn't investing anything. they have a wide variety of funds that their employee's can invest in. medical companies make an array of drugs.
    again they don't oppose all forms of birth control just 4.

    nothing hypocritical about this. The mutual funds are controled by the fund manager. while the company gets a list of the fund companies i doubt they do that much research into
    what they make. it is the employee's that invest into the funds. not the company itself.

    you have to use a lot of twisted screwed up logic in order to say that HL is investing in these companies because they aren't. their employee's are investing into mutual funds that happen to have these companies in the fund.
    It is Only about trying to impose my subjective value of morality due to wealth.

  7. #177
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    now you are just being obtuse.

    it doesn't matter when the government thinks life begins that is not the argument.
    their company has the right to free speech and is able to do other things under the first amendment so why is religious belief excluded when it is protected under the 1st amendment as well.

    the company is only separate in a financial sense.
    Can you use a religious belief to ignore OSHA regulations? Can a Scientologist refuse to pay for prescription drug coverage that everyone else is covered by? Can a vegan refuse to pay taxes which in part are used to subsidize the meat industry?

  8. #178
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Just one problem with HL complaint, the drugs that they object to aren't drugs that induce abortion....they're contraceptives that prevent pregnancy. Big difference, don't you think?


    Sotomayor wasn't giving advice...she was giving an opinion as it pertained to the law, remember?
    No...she isnt giving advice as pertaining to law. She is giving an opinion and one grounded in ideology, not supported by case law. At some point the justices will decide on this case and then there will be case law established and her opinion will be codified. If you and she have your way, a company that acted in an above responsible manner will likely (at her suggestion) cancel 15,000 employees insurance and be forced to pay the fed a 30,000,000 dollar fine. then those 15,000 employees will be left ot get and pay for insurance on their own. And in a 'win' for the administration, some of them will be new Obamacare enrollees.

  9. #179
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Sounds like Socialism bailing out Capitalism, like usual.

  10. #180
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Hobby Lobby invests in companies that makes IUD's/Plan-B Contraceptives

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    In other words, not all employees may share the same subjective value of morals as the owner.
    Sure but I'm not really sure what your point is.

    I imagine it's pretty doubtful that their employees knew they were investing in emergency contraception though.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •